Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sigh

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
    Hehehehe..now that's innovative and ya even put a tarp atop the carpeting!:he:
    Ha...after I set up the trial run I left it up to air out for about a week and the footprint was for fun. I knew other teachers and the principal would be about and thought it would be funny to have it set up ready for camping.

Comment

Is that corn or some kinda prairie graSS bluestar?

That is corn, we have lots and lots of corn. It makes for a boring ride through the state. :(

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
        That is corn, we have lots and lots of corn. It makes for a boring ride through the state. :(
        remember the corn fields on my road trip through the midwest,
        wow, not just miles of corn, but hundreds of miles of corn,
        yet if you want fresh corn locally was almost impossible to find, even the restaurants used canned corn.
        all grown for big industry

Comment

I'm hoping, praying we get out this weekend. We went once back in May to "test out" the new tent. We're in the middle of a major remodel on our house, our yard is a dusty wasteland, garage is a mess, I'm not 100% sure I can even find all the camping gear at this point. It's been a parade of contractors and there's no end in sight. New electrical, garage doors and pad, new roof, new gutters, foundation work, new driveway ..... ugh. But maybe, while it's mid 80's during the day and lower 60's overnight, we can sneak out for another long overnighter. (I hope so)

I know 1st world problems right? But regardless, when you so strongly desire to be out under the stars and end up tied to your responsibilities it's just no fun. End pity party.

Comment

As with any traveling, I will find the money if I want it bad enough. Money doesn't really hold me back. I will reduce another expense in order to afford the fuel. In addition, because my work commute is so minor (6 miles), I am not putting much of anything in fuel costs - I fill up the SUV maybe once a month.

I'm not going back to tent camping, so until the RV is back in action, I'm on standby. But, I have plans for fall and winter mapped out.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
              Originally posted by terasec View Post
              remember the corn fields on my road trip through the midwest,
              wow, not just miles of corn, but hundreds of miles of corn,
              yet if you want fresh corn locally was almost impossible to find, even the restaurants used canned corn.
              all grown for big industry
              I uhm haven't even flown over the MidWest:meuh:to date; it's generally been cheaper for me to travel overseas. Which is sad on sooooo many levels. Will work hard to control self when passing the first few miles of corn based on this post's revelation. Normally, a corn field means get the pot o water boiling fer my thunk:he:.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Bestest thoughts that you find your tent and gear and get outta your Dodge!
                Remember that there is always a handy dandy Wally's World near by-unless yer in NYC.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  *sigh* Its starting to look like I will never get out of town. :(

Pity party in this thread.
                  My personal pity party may be close to an end. Wife is talking about getting out of here a couple weeks from now. Yippee!
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MWcamper View Post
                    I'm hoping, praying we get out this weekend. We went once back in May to "test out" the new tent. We're in the middle of a major remodel on our house, our yard is a dusty wasteland, garage is a mess, I'm not 100% sure I can even find all the camping gear at this point. It's been a parade of contractors and there's no end in sight. New electrical, garage doors and pad, new roof, new gutters, foundation work, new driveway ..... ugh. But maybe, while it's mid 80's during the day and lower 60's overnight, we can sneak out for another long overnighter. (I hope so)

I know 1st world problems right? But regardless, when you so strongly desire to be out under the stars and end up tied to your responsibilities it's just no fun. End pity party.
                    Do you have a general contractor running the job? If you do, my advice is to hand over the keys and get out. I'm an electrician and don't know how people survive living in a large remodeling job. It is hard on everyone....even the workers.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

... Will work hard to control self when passing the first few miles of corn based on this post's revelation. Normally, a corn field means get the pot o water boiling fer my thunk:he:.

The field corn probably wouldn't be very good to eat like you're thinking of. Sweet corn is the stuff that's good to eat.

I recall an old farmer that was grumpy about people poaching his field corn. His only consolation was that they weren't going to like it after they tried to eat it.

Do you have a general contractor running the job? If you do, my advice is to hand over the keys and get out. I'm an electrician and don't know how people survive living in a large remodeling job. It is hard on everyone....even the workers.
                      I agree. I had a house I was building sold before it was done, and the lady ended up getting her other place sold and needed to move in. It was rather uncomfortable for everyone for that couple months.
                      Last edited by Malamute; 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, you're looking at the general contractor running the show. :(

I am doing a lot of the reno myself, but we are in the stage where I am letting the professionals do what they do best, and trying to get all the "big" and/or "outside" stuff done while there is good weather to do so. Once the roof, siding, windows and driveway are done the rest is on me. I'm hoping I get some time in September to relax before I start ripping out a bathroom and kitchen.
                        Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by MWcamper View Post
                          Unfortunately, you're looking at the general contractor running the show. :(

I am doing a lot of the reno myself, but we are in the stage where I am letting the professionals do what they do best, and trying to get all the "big" and/or "outside" stuff done while there is good weather to do so. Once the roof, siding, windows and driveway are done the rest is on me. I'm hoping I get some time in September to relax before I start ripping out a bathroom and kitchen.
                          Yay!
                          lol. Houses are built but never finished. Well, not my house anyway. There always seems to be something else to do.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Well, I guess my weekend trip was postponed due to the fair being in town. But that is the decisions you get when leave it up to a 7 year old. I just wish they still had elephant ears.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Trying again for 2 weeks from now. *sigh* I thought I would be on my fifth or sixth trip this year by now. Lets see if we can get this one off the ground.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                But back to topic. What would you do if affordable mobility suddenly made your travel range limit half or less than half of what it is today?
                                Where I live, on the Jersey Shore, there isn't really any decent camping in a 50 mile radius and even then, forget about going on a weekend in the summer time. All you get are crowded campgrounds, noise, congestion, etc. It's why I plan to move in 2 years, so I don't have to drive 2 hours to get away from it all. I hope to be able to move to someplace where decent camping is outside my door, or at least down the block.

One problem I've been having is uncooperative weather. For the weekend crowd, it's been great because we've had almost 2 months of great weekend weather, which makes a lot of people happy i'm sure and the campgrounds and trails even more crowded. . But I am off Wed-Saturday so as to avoid the crowds I start my "weekend" on Wed and head home on Friday night or during the day Saturday. For some reason it likes to be nice early in the week, when I work, or on the weekend, when I am heading home, rather than when I'm camping. Seems to rain a lot Wed-Saturdays. :(

Comment

Working...
                                X