X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh

*sigh* Its starting to look like I will never get out of town. :(

Pity party in this thread.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Sigh

I've now missed 4 trips with the gang. Still no truck and no money to fix the truck. Haven't been camping since Winter and haven't been fishing at all this year.

NEXT!
    Last edited by MacGyver; 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

My clipper has been at the mechanic's since my last trip - which was a rally so not even a REAL camping trip - in May. Not only have I not been able to go anywhere, but I can't even go spend a day in the clipper pretending to go somewhere...

NEXT.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am hoping to get out this weekend. This divorce is killing me financially.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Sorry to hear that James. Hope you are able to get out of town soon. I know how you feel. I have been wanting to go camping for a while now, but just haven't the money to re-stock the camping supplies and get out of town.

Comment

know the feeling,
            been having car problems since winter,
            just picked up my car and think its ready for some long trips,
            planning first trip at my base camp this year this weekend,
            instead of a 2-3 night trip i may hide out and extend it a few days.
            recently replaced all 4 struts on my jeep,
            after that realized suspension is shot, replaced just about every control arm, link, etc, all around,
            1 week later transmission blew, at least new transmission was covered under warranty,

i did get in a week of car camping with my nieces at hershey park campground,
            was surprised, had a great time at HP, not the type of camping i usually do, but great time nonetheless,
            give them lots of credit very well run campground

Comment

I probably shouldn't complain to much. I am having car troubles, but it is a project car anyway. Football season is just about to start taking up my weekends, but that't because I have season tickets and tailgate which is a blast (especially after the temps drop below 100). My wife is being insane about the dogs, but....well, I don't really have a but for that but it isn't the end of the world.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

31 days until college football returns. The World Cup provided some relief, but now we are truly in the dog days. A desert of sports. Will FSU repeat as National Champs? First test August 30 in Dallas against Oklahoma State.

Comment

Roll Tide.
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I was going to join in with the list of recent complaints, but it occurred to me that even with kidney stones, and back trouble from a fall, it still amounts to first world problems.

Walking 3 hours to get a jug of questionable water, standing in line for hours for bare minimum amounts of handout food to avoid starvation, people coming around wanting to kill us by the metric ton because of how we perceive the world, or our God, those sort of things start to make my problems look pretty attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
                      31 days until college football returns. The World Cup provided some relief, but now we are truly in the dog days. A desert of sports. Will FSU repeat as National Champs? First test August 30 in Dallas against Oklahoma State.
                      TV sports.
                      Now that's when my sighing begins in earnest.

Pity party deserves to have a bar opening!
                      I'll have a Campari and soda with a wedge of lime NOT lemon.
                      Next?
                      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-28-2014, 01:49 PM.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        TV sports.
                        Now that's when my sighing begins in earnest.

Roger that.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          Roll Tide.
                          True that!!! Roll Tide!

Comment

Some folks on this forum talk about not being able to go camping due to transportation costs. I have often imagined what would happen in the USA if gas prices doubled. That is not a crazy thought because it happened in the 1970's oil shocks when prices went from 35 cents per gallon to 79 cents per gallon; more than double. AND that was IF you could get it.

suddenly, people's mobility would be greatly reduced. What might be considered "Just" a three hour drive to a campground today would become an unreasonable expense to many.

Would people pack up their bicycles and bicycle to the nearest campgrounds? I know that I would because I have four beautiful state campgrounds all within 60 miles of my house. But what about other folks?

Would people start to contact local land owners with wooded property to ask for permission to camp? This is what those poor bastards in England have to do - camping in poop filled fields on 10 acres or creeping into low swamp land all for the pleasure of camping.

We take a lot for granted in the USA; Access to abundant wilderness-rich camping areas AND affordable automobile mobility to get to them. With the exception possibly of Canada and Australia, I can think of few other place on earth that affords it's people the same access to wilderness and semi-wilderness camping as the USA. China = absolutely NO. Japan? Not really. Europe? = if you don't might hiking through backyards and farm fields. Central America = free camping with kidnappers.

But back to topic. What would you do if affordable mobility suddenly made your travel range limit half or less than half of what it is today?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Some folks on this forum talk about not being able to go camping due to transportation costs. I have often imagined what would happen in the USA if gas prices doubled. That is not a crazy thought because it happened in the 1970's oil shocks when prices went from 35 cents per gallon to 79 cents per gallon; more than double. AND that was IF you could get it.

suddenly, people's mobility would be greatly reduced. What might be considered "Just" a three hour drive to a campground today would become an unreasonable expense to many.

Would people pack up their bicycles and bicycle to the nearest campgrounds? I know that I would because I have four beautiful state campgrounds all within 60 miles of my house. But what about other folks?

Would people start to contact local land owners with wooded property to ask for permission to camp? This is what those poor bastards in England have to do - camping in poop filled fields on 10 acres or creeping into low swamp land all for the pleasure of camping.

We take a lot for granted in the USA; Access to abundant wilderness-rich camping areas AND affordable automobile mobility to get to them. With the exception possibly of Canada and Australia, I can think of few other place on earth that affords it's people the same access to wilderness and semi-wilderness camping as the USA. China = absolutely NO. Japan? Not really. Europe? = if you don't might hiking through backyards and farm fields. Central America = free camping with kidnappers.

But back to topic. What would you do if affordable mobility suddenly made your travel range limit half or less than half of what it is today?
                              Uhhhhhh.............camp via commuter trains/Amtrak and buses like I did fer decades:P.
                              Yes but that's common here and not so much in the rest of the country.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X