Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sigh

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    ...But back to topic. What would you do if affordable mobility suddenly made your travel range limit half or less than half of what it is today?
    Biking would be a possibility, hiking would be another option, and packing up my scooter (at 65 mpg) would be another way to go. Public transportation is seriously lacking around here, but catching a train and heading north where routes are more varied would be doable.

Comment

The place I normally go, camping and fishing, is only about 70 miles from the house. My boat only has a 9.9 HP motor (downsized in my old age), and it doesn't use much gas. So, I don't think a doubling in gas prices would slow me down much. I only get to go about once every 6 weeks anyway, so not a lot of extra dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterGirlinALA View Post
        Biking would be a possibility, hiking would be another option, and packing up my scooter (at 65 mpg) would be another way to go. Public transportation is seriously lacking around here, but catching a train and heading north where routes are more varied would be doable.
        Bicycling plus trains and buses took me far far far away from my starting point.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

...and camping in the backyard with a coffee can bonfire to roast marshmallows can not be ruled out. My six year old loves that kind of camping

Comment

...and camping in the backyard with a coffee can bonfire to roast marshmallows can not be ruled out. My six year old loves that kind of camping
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb Up Camping.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	69906

Comment

Setting up a tent in your L/R, turning off the electrical lights and using camp lights and/or flashlights is fun too.
              2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Normally, the dogs and I will spend a night in the driveway just enjoying the RV. Unfortunately, with it at the shop still, we haven't even been able to do that... :(

But, when we finally get the clipper home, it should be properly performing so my fall/winter planned camping trips will go without a hitch (knock on wood).
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

My backyard is a steep hill, but I have set the tent up in the classroom. Last year we got snowed in and spent the night at school, sitting up in chairs. Next time I will leave my tent and mattress in the classroom and if we get snowed in I will have a place to sleep when we aren't on duty covering students. That will be a lot of fun and much more comfortable than sleeping in chairs! This is my trial set up several weeks ago!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	69907

Comment

Some folks on this forum talk about not being able to go camping due to transportation costs. I have often imagined what would happen in the USA if gas prices doubled....

But back to topic. What would you do if affordable mobility suddenly made your travel range limit half or less than half of what it is today?

Not drive as far, or as far, but not as often. The price of fuel already affects where I go and how often, due to slow work from injuries. Still, there are some nice places relatively close. I chose where I live to be close to what I love. I'd get by, but feel for those that have to drive very far to get out where they like to be.

Home,

5 minutes away,

Less than an hour,

Comment

Malamute, that looks like heaven. Plus, I love your dog.

Comment

While the price of fuel is high, I go camping anyway. My goal is 8-9 trips per season. I hate the winters in Illinois, so I need to make the summer count. If I have to give up something else I will. But getting out in Nature is therapy for me. There are no places to camp close to my house. This is what I have to look at once I get out of the city limits.

Comment

My backyard is a steep hill, but I have set the tent up in the classroom. Last year we got snowed in and spent the night at school, sitting up in chairs. Next time I will leave my tent and mattress in the classroom and if we get snowed in I will have a place to sleep when we aren't on duty covering students. That will be a lot of fun and much more comfortable than sleeping in chairs! This is my trial set up several weeks ago!

[ATTACH]4633[/ATTACH]
                          Hehehehe..now that's innovative and ya even put a tarp atop the carpeting!:he:
                          2017:

Comment

Is that corn or some kinda prairie graSS bluestar?
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by SBinTN View Post
                              Malamute, that looks like heaven. Plus, I love your dog.
                              Thanks, I truly love it here. I still, after many years, find myself just stopping, looking around and saying "Wow!"

I've been stuck on Malamutes since about '90. They definitely aren't for everyone, but I sure like them. I've had 7 of them since then.

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                              Is that corn or some kinda prairie graSS bluestar?
                              I was raised in that sort of country. I always dreamt of being in the mountains, even as a little kid. I left and headed west when I had a chance
                              Last edited by Malamute; 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

At the present rate rising fuel costs wouldn't affect my camping schedule one bit. Can't go any less than none right.

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                                I was going to join in with the list of recent complaints, but it occurred to me that even with kidney stones, and back trouble from a fall, it still amounts to first world problems.

Walking 3 hours to get a jug of questionable water, standing in line for hours for bare minimum amounts of handout food to avoid starvation, people coming around wanting to kill us by the metric ton because of how we perceive the world, or our God, those sort of things start to make my problems look pretty attractive.
                                Oh, and shut up Malmute :he:
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X