Is camping alone ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is camping alone ok?

I agree with other posters that you would need the ability to be self sufficient (set up tent, light fire and the etc.). Might also add that these days you can't "assume" that everybody who is camping are harmless. Camping is cheaper than hotel/motel/apartments and some folks might not be as wholesome as you think. Let your instincts be your guide. I carry a Taser and I'm not afraid to shoot. I also stay in family parks. Going off alone in the backwoods if you are a female might not be the best, unless you are very sure you can take care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      We have a 'like' button. Well, a reputation button. It's the little star thing on the bottom left of each post.
      I don't see it...
      A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

No doubt about it. There are lots of benefits to camping alone. A lot of times I just enjoy the solitude and not having to worry about what others may or may not be doing or want to do.

And of course TPLife is a big fan of camping naked.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Ditto everyone else, it can be even more fun to camp alone than with a group sometimes. I don't get to camp alone anymore due to a husband and two little girls in the picture now, but "back in the day" when I was single I'd take off to a State Park for a weekend and have a glorious time relaxing, hiking, fishing, enjoying the solitude, and meeting some really great fellow campers! And as mentioned above, there are many camping groups that I'm sure you can connect with if you really had reservations about going it alone. As long as you are proficient in the basics, shelter, fire and food, you should be good to go!
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

Contrary to common belief, there is no mad ax murderer waiting behind a tree for that solo camper to arrive. If he was out there waiting for that solo camper to arrive, he'd starve to death or get mauled by a rabies-infected raccoon first. If he was smart, he'd just go chop up the first campsite he came across and get the H out.

WELLLLL........ NOT so fast, Sister! Maybe there is no axe murder, but there is the HOOK HAND MAN who is every bit as dangerous as an axe murderer and he IS real! I just told the story to two six year old boys around the campfire this weekend and they KNOW it is a REAL story.

Anybody who goes camping needs to arm themselves with the knowledge of the HOOK HAND MAN. It would be foolish and unwise to go completely unprepared into the wildness or even a developed campsite without that basic survival information.

Comment

... OH, I just remembered.

One disadvantage of camping alone is that snipe hunting alone is virtually impossible.

Many have attempted solo snipe hunting only to find themselves exhausted and empty handed after a night of fruitless effort - paper bag and stick in hand. Throat sore from calling for this elusive creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                WELLLLL........ NOT so fast, Sister! Maybe there is no axe murder, but there is the HOOK HAND MAN who is every bit as dangerous as an axe murderer and he IS real! I just told the story to two six year old boys around the campfire this weekend and they KNOW it is a REAL story.

Anybody who goes camping needs to arm themselves with the knowledge of the HOOK HAND MAN. It would be foolish and unwise to go completely unprepared into the wildness or even a developed campsite without that basic survival information.
                Ah, but the HOOK HAND MAN (as well as the Jasons, Michaels, etc.) only go after the horny teenagers. Solo campers are pretty much invisible to such wilderness dangers.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hey all,

I wanted to clarify my original statement a bit when I said you have to be careful camping. I didn't say, don't go camping, but just to be aware out there. Especially if you are a female. I am a male and if it wasn't for my partner (a female), I would have said don't worry about it.

But after talking to her and hearing stories about guys following her (stalking her) while hiking and the like it made me change my mind a bit. The second piece of information is my experience talking with fish and wildlife state troopers who always made the point that many of the people they run into out there fishing, hunting and camping have criminal records. That's where my quote "Even convicts recreate" came from.

I believe that everyone should go camping, but like anything, be aware of your surroundings. Heck we were at a trailhead a couple of weeks ago and someone broke the window of our car to steel our kids diaper bag. Maybe it's out here in Oregon where we live that has more than it's share of wierdo's?

Goog to be involved in the discussion.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    Ah, but the HOOK HAND MAN (as well as the Jasons, Michaels, etc.) only go after the horny teenagers. Solo campers are pretty much invisible to such wilderness dangers.
                    When I was a teenager I was ALWAYS horny.....and alone. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Hey, the hook hand man isn't always the bad guy. Sometimes they are just misunderstood.....
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzx0MQ4J58
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I'll just throw this out here,....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEbwhWDYwM

Comment

Hook Hand Man doesn't bother me. I'm more afraid of Manbearpig. I'm super serial.

Comment

^^^ He's about to ninja chop someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j1-xQA_ufE
                            Last edited by Malamute; 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                              I'll just throw this out here,....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEbwhWDYwM
                              HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Hook Hand Man doesn't bother me. I'm more afraid of Manbearpig. I'm super serial.

I love South Park.

– E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                                When I was a teenager I was ALWAYS horny.....and alone. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
                                And again, as a solo female, I'm still safe and not on the chop list.
                                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                                X