Is camping alone ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is camping alone ok?

hello!! I been meaning to go camping with friends or family, the problem is my friends and family members don't want to go camping,. their excuses for not going they say its boring , too many bugs, they rather shower in the privacy of their own home, afraid of the dark ect.. as for me , I love the outdoors. looking up at the stars at night in a hammock, hiking, sightseeing ect and basically just to get away from the big city i live in. its more peaceful and less stressful camping. Its been awhile I've been camping (12 yrs) .was wondering if its normal to camp alone? thanks in advance for the responses

Re: Is camping alone ok?

12 years is a long time! I think camping alone is okay but if you are alone you should make sure to tell some friends and family where you will be going and how long you will be gone so they will know when to be concerned if you are not back. Also I think it would be safer if you go to a camping area that has many other camp sites nearby as opposed to some of the ones that are more isolated.
    A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Hey,

I think it is very normal to camp alone. I used to do it a lot before I had a family and really loved the peacefulness. There are a few potential dangers you should think about, especially if you are a female.

I think if you are a female you have to be a little careful. There are potentially shady people out there camping as anywhere.

I would say you really need to research the place you are going to. If it's a remote area you need to think about whether it is safe or not. The other thing you could do is get a dog. I know this is a big choice but dogs are great and will keep many of those potential weirdos away.

hope that helps,

dave

Comment

As a female solo camper, I see no problem at all to camping alone. The only thing to hold you back are your own abilities (or lack thereof). If you can't pitch a tent, then you might have a problem. If you can't cook over a flame or can't light a stove, then you might have a problem.

Contrary to common belief, there is no mad ax murderer waiting behind a tree for that solo camper to arrive. If he was out there waiting for that solo camper to arrive, he'd starve to death or get mauled by a rabies-infected raccoon first. If he was smart, he'd just go chop up the first campsite he came across and get the H out.

With wild animals, use common sense, appropriate precautions, etc. and you're just as safe as any other campers.

In regards to loneliness, boredom, etc., that's up to how you do alone. If you can eat alone, spend time relaxing alone, go for walks alone, etc., then you should have no problem camping alone.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am a guy. I let someone know where I will be and when I should be home. Other than that, just go and enjoy the peace and quite. If I go camping in Aug, it will be solo.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            As a female solo camper, I see no problem at all to camping alone. The only thing to hold you back are your own abilities (or lack thereof). If you can't pitch a tent, then you might have a problem. If you can't cook over a flame or can't light a stove, then you might have a problem.

Contrary to common belief, there is no mad ax murderer waiting behind a tree for that solo camper to arrive. If he was out there waiting for that solo camper to arrive, he'd starve to death or get mauled by a rabies-infected raccoon first. If he was smart, he'd just go chop up the first campsite he came across and get the H out.

With wild animals, use common sense, appropriate precautions, etc. and you're just as safe as any other campers.

In regards to loneliness, boredom, etc., that's up to how you do alone. If you can eat alone, spend time relaxing alone, go for walks alone, etc., then you should have no problem camping alone.

^^ We need a like button. Good post.

I usually camp alone. I like going with other people, I just don't know many people that like to go or that can when I do. I'm often pretty spontaneous also, just decide to go, load up and take off. I'm never quite sure where I'm going, or when I'll be back, so generally don't tell anyone. Being on my own is part of the experience, though others may not like that part. A good dog, decent sixgun, and bear capable rifle, I'm good to go.

Comment

Yeah, it's ok to camp alone. I've been twice by myself this year, four days each time. Fishing and camping in a state park.

Comment

My wife stopped camping years ago. I built a Tear Drop trailer to pull behind my Jeep to go off roading. After finishing my teardrop I found a gathering of people with teardrops and tiny trailers and joined them. I have since made many friends at gatherings like this and now have a large circle of camping friends to go with. I am a Co-Director of the group now for my state now, arranging 3 gatherings a year. We do not require a teardrop to belong. We have many members with cargo trailer conversions, tents and lots of home built varieties of trailers. Everyone is welcome. Maybe try finding a group like this in your area and begin building a network of other single campers.
                You could also just post that you are camping and a certain park and ask anyone that wants to join you to show up and get a site. There is nothing wrong with camping alone, but it is always fun to be with people that share a common interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post

I usually camp alone. I like going with other people, I just don't know many people that like to go or that can when I do. I'm often pretty spontaneous also, just decide to go, load up and take off. I'm never quite sure where I'm going, or when I'll be back, so generally don't tell anyone. Being on my own is part of the experience, though others may not like that part. A good dog, decent sixgun, and bear capable rifle, I'm good to go.
                  We have a 'like' button. Well, a reputation button. It's the little star thing on the bottom left of each post.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by pricaned View Post
                    hello!! I been meaning to go camping with friends or family, the problem is my friends and family members don't want to go camping,. their excuses for not going they say its boring , too many bugs, they rather shower in the privacy of their own home, afraid of the dark ect.. as for me , I love the outdoors. looking up at the stars at night in a hammock, hiking, sightseeing ect and basically just to get away from the big city i live in. its more peaceful and less stressful camping. Its been awhile I've been camping (12 yrs) .was wondering if its normal to camp alone? thanks in advance for the responses
                    I don't see any problem with camping alone. Sometimes you just want to get away from everything and everyone. I agree that you should tell people where you are going and when you will be back, but I think that is a good idea even if you are going in a group.

If you haven't been in a while (12 years is awhile) you should start with an established campground and think small. Really, the only thing you need for camping is food and shelter. Everything else is a luxury. So figure out where you are going, what you are going to eat (and how to cook it if needed) and where you are going to sleep.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                      My wife stopped camping years ago. I built a Tear Drop trailer to pull behind my Jeep to go off roading. After finishing my teardrop I found a gathering of people with teardrops and tiny trailers and joined them. I have since made many friends at gatherings like this and now have a large circle of camping friends to go with. I am a Co-Director of the group now for my state now, arranging 3 gatherings a year. We do not require a teardrop to belong. We have many members with cargo trailer conversions, tents and lots of home built varieties of trailers. Everyone is welcome. Maybe try finding a group like this in your area and begin building a network of other single campers.
                      You could also just post that you are camping and a certain park and ask anyone that wants to join you to show up and get a site. There is nothing wrong with camping alone, but it is always fun to be with people that share a common interest.
                      Would that be the TNTTT forum? Nice folks there, and lots of info. I'm seriously wanting to build a teardrop now.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                        Thanks. It's basically the same "speech" I give on travel forums. There is a very strong misconception that being alone is inherently dangerous. The truth is it's not any more dangerous than being a couple. For many of us, if we didn't camp/travel alone, we wouldn't camp/travel at all.

And to be honest, while I enjoy the occasional companion on my camping/travel trips, I really do prefer my solo trips. I'm an ANALyst at heart and when I do solo trips, I tend to plan and organize a lot beforehand. Planning meals to reduce leftovers, working out travel times to limit waiting, etc. When others join me, I try not to be so anal about things and back off a bit - but it almost always ends with me stressing out because no one will decide on meals, etc., until the day before the trip. When friends are going to meet me at a campground, my first instinct has been to stick close to camp until they arrive - this has resulted in me not doing anything for an entire afternoon because they got sidetracked and didn't leave until after they were expected to arrive. Drives me NUTS! I have been trying to fight that instinct and just pretend they aren't coming and going about my own thing, but it's completely against my grain.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

No Malamute, but I am on that forum regularly. They do list many gatherings on that forum, but it is more of a builders forum and less of a social forum. Excellent place for building info. I have built 3 different teardrops and I'm working on plans for a 4th. If you ever have questions feel free to PM me. I will help in any way I can.

The forum I was referring to is www.tearjerkers.net This forum has most of the nation wide gatherings listed. Not sure where you are located. You are always welcome, and encouraged to attend a gathering. You don't have to own a teardrop to join in. The best part of a gathering for a future builder is to see all the different trailers in person. Teardroppers are very happy to give tours and help with building advise.
                          Last edited by bluestar99; 08-03-2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                            No Malamute, but I am on that forum regularly. They do list many gatherings on that forum, but it is more of a builders forum and less of a social forum. Excellent place for building info. I have built 3 different teardrops and I'm working on plans for a 4th. If you ever have questions feel free to PM me. I will help in any way I can.

The forum I was referring to is www.tearjerkers.net This forum has most of the nation wide gatherings listed. Not sure where you are located. You are always welcome, and encouraged to attend a gathering. You don't have to own a teardrop to join in. The best part of a gathering for a future builder is to see all the different trailers in person. Teardroppers are very happy to give tours and help with building advise.
                            Thanks! I'll look at it. Someone else suggested that forum also, but I got sidetracked and didn't spend much time there looking.

You may be right, I did see a fair number of people talking about get togethers, but I'm pretty well off the beaten path to where most live and go so didn't look that closely. I'm also more of a back country camping fan also. My teardrop would have to be offroad capable. Nothing crazy, but I do like to get past the first few rough and rocky spots, it thins out most of the traffic.

Comment

Just be cautious and careful as always. I carry a Taser with me for protection. I grew up in the big city, but enjoy the outdoors more. There's a lot of great friends you can meet along the way, but these days you can't be too careful. Campgrounds are usually cheap(er) than conventional hotel/motels and apartments, and may be the hunting grounds for those who are not so savory--so keep your wits about you; if someone seems off base to you and your instincts are flashing alert, LISTEN to it. Since you favor going into the backroads, I might suggest that you take some self protection hands on courses and get comfortable with using a gun (and not afraid to shoot it I might add). I personally stay in family campgrounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X