Is camping alone ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is camping alone ok?

To each his own. But if you are ever in CO and want to do some trap shooting with a shotgun, let me know. I will bet $100 for a round of 25. If we tie on all 25, we shoot until someone misses. Any takers?

BTW, my load patter was recommended by a Colorado Division of Wildlife supervisor. The DOW is responsible for all hunting here in CO. As usual, when I ask a question, I talk to someone who is an expert. Forums are just for general directions.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'm confused.

Whats the relationship of shooting trap to this discussion?

I've shot trap a few times, but found skeet and sporting clays a bit more interesting, and more like field use, though I'm not really a shotgun fan.

I've also found that the noise to signal ratio on forums is generally quite high, especially in regards to gun stuff, and very much in particular to bear guns and anything remotely related to that subject,...depending on where you look.

Despite what would seem decent credentials on the matter, the Colorado guys suggestion differ from what most people that actually deal with large animals like bears generally say. Bear defense situations aren't very common in Co, nor do they have grizzlies, which is very much at the forefront of the animal defense discussion in some places, including my neighborhood. Those that regularly deal with grizzlies, such as in Alaska, generally recommend slugs. This from hands on use, not speculation.

Deer slugs and buckshot may work fine on smaller black bears, such as one may expect to find in Co. :D

Comment

I suppose we have thoroughly scared the OP from ever solo camping with this discussion.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Quite possibly. :(

Discussion of defense, and in particular bears, seems go sideways before too long. I tend to stay out of them any more. I failed to resist in this case.

I've camped extensively in northern Az, and the northern Rockies in grizzly country for much of the past 30-some years with very little issue from animals or people. Much of that was sleeping on the ground under the stars. The biggest issues I've had was mice invading my tipi. I figured out to take traps along all the time, but slew most of the mice with a 22 rifle with CB loads (intended for indoor target shooting, about the power level as a high quality air gun). Most of that time has been solo. No slashers, monsters or whack jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            I suppose we have thoroughly scared the OP from ever solo camping with this discussion.
            Yeah, anyone new to camping will see us as the nuts in the forest.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
              I don't know who you are calling jittery. I have been sleeping with loaded weapons beside me since Desert Shield/Desert Storm. My life and my daughters life are far more valuable to me than yours or any animals. Some of us can handle loaded weapons and make life and death decisions, some of us can't.
              Yup, that is the kind of jittery camper next door with a loaded weapon I am talking about, "I am back from Iraq. I got a loaded gun and my wife and daughter are more valuable than your life"

I would prefer to avoid that kind of scene altogether.
              Last edited by Mike; 08-09-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Last summer I camped with my 2 little dogs & just myself many times. I plan to do so this summer. These were all Michigan State Campgrounds. My son & DIL did camp a couple weekends in a site next to me. I am 63, 5'1" & I put up two different large tents, with the newest being a 10 x 14 tent. (I found I was a tad claustrophobic in the dome tent with a full fly.) I think I was entertainment for some people, but overall I think I impressed most people. I know some thought it was odd being myself, but they are entitled to their opinion as am I. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I always let someone know where I was going & when I would be back & would have some texting with family throughout my stay. When I check in, I let the campground know I am a solo camper. I normally also make a point of becoming friendly with a family near my site.
                Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

I always solo camp. Else, what's the point??
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                    I always solo camp. Else, what's the point??
                    Amen to that. There is a VERY small list of people that I want to go camping with....and a lot of the time I just want to be alone.

Except my dog. She is always welcome.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I agree. There are a couple folks who I enjoy camping with - but they have their own rig and take care of their own needs. I'm not responsible for their survival or their enjoyment. It takes a lot of the pressure off. The occasional one day visitor is OK also. But more than that and I start to get anxious and my enjoyment goes downhill fast.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm a half and half person, meaning I like the best of both worlds. I found a group of women who love to camp in a big group (6-12 people.) We schedule and book a bunch of sites next to each other. Most of us have our own sites but some share a site but have our own tents. Then we have a few people who set up common sites, one for AM, one for the day, and one from dinner on into the late evening. We each feel comfortable going off on own through the day as the mood strikes for naps, hiking, reading, whatever. Sometimes people pair up or make smaller groups for hiking. Or people move from each group site with their own chairs as they wish. We also bring food to share/cook/clean for common meals or at our own sites as we wish. We also avoid the dreaded calling across from campsite to campsite. Gosh, I hate when groups do that.

Anyways, this thread was about going solo. Just did my first solo in a NJ state family campground. It was perfectly fine. But, I much prefer my half and half camping and looking forward to our next trip at the end of this month. However, I will also continue to go solo when I go on longer motorcycle trips because my spouse doesn't like either riding or camping.

Comment

My buddy does it and suggests I do it. He says you gain so much introspection from a few nights out there alone. I'm sure you do, but I don't think it's worth the risk. If I had to, I would. It's always a good idea to bring some along, though, so much can go wrong.

Comment

While it goes against my minimalist grain, I do routinely have a firearm in the camp. Because I am far from the madding crowd, and who knows? One can only rely on one's self. Gives me a lot of peace, having a peacemaker and being proficient in the use thereof.

Comment

I found it's far more dangerous when I'm in the madding crowd than when I'm away from it. I've never felt worried when camping alone, but I do have the two dogs with me so I have company. But then, I've lived alone and never felt nervous or worried, and I've traveled alone and never felt nervous or worried, and I've shopped alone and never felt nervous or worried, and I've worked alone and never felt nervous or worried.... it really isn't any different when camping except I don't have to worry about running into my crazy neighbor (seriously, you're not my grandma and I'm NOT going to call you that). My only concession when camping is to have the clipper so I have hard walls and a real bed and a toilet.

Comment

I pretty much agree with you TT. I work in an area where crazy is the rule, not the exception. But being a gun guy, I just feel a little bit better having a companion.

Comment

Working...
                                X