Time to go backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to go backwards

Many of us are all looking for the best tasting, most satisfying, healthiest, lightest weight, lowest cost camping food.

We look for the latest in offerings from the grocery, camping supply stores, and dehydrated food producers.

May I suggest that the future may be in the past.

I have read the packing list of our forefathers who took to camping either as recreation or as a means to head west. They brought dried beans, flour, corn flour, coffee as a staple.

I have been returning to those roots lately and have been so delighted with the results as have been my camping team.

Not only does this provide a greater variety to our menu, it really skinnied down my food storage needs and eliminated coolers and refrigeration completely.

Breads: In the old days, there was no dried yeast so baking soda bisquits were the norm and people got tired of them. HOWEVER, one nice advantage of today's modernization is powdered yeast. Bring it. Use it. Bake in a Dutch Oven. Bake in a fry pan with a lid. OR simply toss your dough rolls into the fire pit and cover them with ashes. You will be happily surprised with the results - perfectly scrumptious breads and not dirty as you might expect. Look up recipes for ash cakes. Yes, cornbread too.

Beans: Bring dried beans, lentils, peas. Bring a pressure cooker to cook them. 12 to 20 minutes from hard to cooked (no soaking) depending on your pressure cooker. GSI makes and excellent lightweight aluminum pressure cooker that I can personally recommend.

Dried vegetables: Have you tried drying vegetables at home and rehydrating them at camp? Usually not so good. Change your history. Use a pressure cooker. You can bring all your dried vegetables (including dried corn) back to life in an amazing way. OK, so you are a car camper. Even so, dried vegetables will small-size your food box, eliminate the need for coolers, and excite your camp cooking.

Beer: I dried beer in my dehydrator with great expectation. Completely sucking failure. Skip this one

Meat and eggs: eggs can last at least a week without refrigeration. I do it all the time. fresh Meats will last about three days without refrigeration. However, there are plenty of preserved meats you can use instead of fresh meat. Preserved summer sausage, pepperoni, beef jerky, and of course you can dry meat in your home food dryer and reconstitute it with your vegetables in your pressure cooker. You can also get dehydrated meats of all kinds even from Walmart online and the "end-of-the-world" preppers. Be sure to check out today's Texturized Vegetable Proteins (TVP) which have really come to excellence in the past decade or two.

Folks, sometimes we see forward best by looking in the rear view mirror. This, I believe, is the case when it comes to camp cooking.

Re: Time to go backwards

Thanks for the info. I often think of camping as a good mix of old and new. All of these are great ideas.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Another thank ye kindly. Just got a great deal on a 13 bean soup mix from Bob's Red Mill. Almost 2 lbs of often hard to get bean varieties for a buck! Checked the expiration date and it was on the money too. I bought 4 packs so we can make it thru the winter.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
        Another thank ye kindly. Just got a great deal on a 13 bean soup mix from Bob's Red Mill. Almost 2 lbs of often hard to get bean varieties for a buck! Checked the expiration date and it was on the money too. I bought 4 packs so we can make it thru the winter.
        That is a great deal for Bobs Red Mills mixed beans. Even the cheapest mixed beans i can find run $1.50 per pound, so your 50 cent per pound is a great deal. Dont worry about the expiration date on dried beans. Even a year past expiration is OK. Fresher is better, but a good deal on slightly older beans need not be passed up

2 cups of dried beans is enough to feed most families and that is only 1/2 pound, so in your case, 25 cents to make a meal... plus seasoning and some vegetable scraps, of course.

8 pounds of dried beans would never be enough for our family. At any given time, i will have at least a dozen different varieties of dried beans in our larder: never less than 20 lbs or so.

Beans are the one food that really could save the planet

Comment

:lol: I'm sorry. Now I can't get the image of the scene in Blazing Saddles where the bad guys are all sitting around the campfire eating beans and farting.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            :lol: I'm sorry. Now I can't get the image of the scene in Blazing Saddles where the bad guys are all sitting around the campfire eating beans and farting.
            Love and lots o years will allow ya to have farting contests with total impunity. My DGD is up to stoopid practical jokes that include rubber snakes and water bug chewing gum plus farting on demand. She fits right in at least fer the last part.:he:
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-26-2014, 04:23 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Love and lots o years will allow ya to have farting contests with total impunity. My DGD is up to stoopid practical jokes that include rubber snakes and water bug chewing gum plus farting on demand. She fits right in at least fer the last part.:he:
              Walking through the local Ikea with my wife, I grabbed a shark shaped pillow when her head was turned. I called her and when she turned around I made a lame "rar" and made the shark bite her face....well, more like lightly rammed her face. She, being used to my shenanigans, didn't even flinch. The funniest part was when a guy about 5 feet away looked at his woman and said, "See, I'm not the only one that does stuff like that."

I busted out laughing.
              – E. B. White

Comment

Hey, you guys hijacked the Thread!! No, no farting stuff. No farting stuff allowed.

Comment

... and now for something completely fart free:

Wanting for pancakes, I had only my flour at hand. No pre-mix and no baking powder. SO, I added some yeast to the plain flour, added some wheat germ and a thrust of oatmeal, THEN added a tablespoon of dried instant yeast.

In a few minutes, the yeast pancake batter was ready to go = all light and foamy. It made fantastic pancakes.

What a treat, all from basic materials.

Comment

Working...
                  X