Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent Heights

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    tp wants everyone to buy high end gear. I figure he must work for a credit card company or something.
    I've never guyed out my 7x7 Eureka, seen more than a few nasty thunderstorms over the years in it... go figure... it still works.
    :lol: Now THATS funny.

Still happy with my Ozark Trails tent.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

With its paltry bikini rainfly, dated D-shaped doors and pin/ring setup, the Sunrise is what I'd consider a cheap tent. Eureka! does offer high-end tents with features like full-coverage rainflys, hub componentry, anodized aluminum poles, continuous zippers, color-coded corners, etc., but this tent ain't one of em!
      Obviously everyone has different quality levels and tastes that reflect their choices. We just camp a lot and find that not every model is "dry, roomy, comfortable, durable, easy to set up, etc." and companies like Eureka! and Kelty have a mix of good/cheap stuff that you have to recognize for what it is.
      Last edited by tplife; 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Damn. Still ragging on anything less than a $500 tent. I don't get it.
        Once again, a 15+ year old tent with a paltry bikini rain fly, dated D-shaped doors, fiberglass poles and a pin/ring setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First Up.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	69902

Comment

To get back to the OP's question, I've used a Coleman Sundome 10' x 10' for the past several years. I'm 6'3" and can stand up to get dressed in it. Main reason why I bought it. Has plenty of room for our double mattress, lamps, shoes, portable john (my wife hates leaving the tent at night), clothes, etc. Admittedly, we are car campers, rarely go boondocking and, most fortuitously, have never had bad weather to deal with beyond a slight mist along the Pacific coast. That said, I can easily put up the tent myself in about 10 minutes. Just have to put the poles in the rear pins before lifting them from the front, keeping the pressure on those rear pins. Once the front pins are in the poles, the hard part is done. I also keep ground tarp beneath the tent, which is probably a large part of why it has lasted so well.

Comment

I think eureka's smallest diameter to height ratio is either their Sunrise 5 or Teragon 5.

I think both are 9x9 with a 6ft height.

You might be able to find an older sunrise 9 which has the same dimensions but a bit cheaper.

Enjoy,

elliot

Comment

That was odd. I've had mail notices of posts, a couple in different threads by Sbroadwell, and they aren't here when I come look.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                That was odd. I've had mail notices of posts, a couple in different threads by Sbroadwell, and they aren't here when I come look.
                Any chance they were private messages in your Inbox?

Comment

No, they were email notifications of posts in the thread. I've had it happen before. I don't know if they deleted their posts, or were booted, or what.

I just dug this out of the trash bin in my email,

Dear Malamute,

Sbroadwell has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Tent Heights - in the Tent Camping forum of CampingForums.

This thread is located at:
                  http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...s&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
                  I'm 6' 3", and like to be able to stand, at least in the middle. My new Kelty Palisades 6 lets me do this. And, every time I've set it up, it's been by myself, so it can be done. It would be easier with a helper, though.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
                  CampingForums
                  Last edited by Malamute; 07-30-2014, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I just tried to search posts by the name, the search engine recognized the name, but said there were no posts by them or no search results. They may have been booted for some reason.

Sorry for the sidetrack. It was just weird to get a notice, but no posts in the threads.

Comment

Malamute seems like I remember reading that post. How strange.

Comment

I just tried to search posts by the name, the search engine recognized the name, but said there were no posts by them or no search results. They may have been booted for some reason.

Sorry for the sidetrack. It was just weird to get a notice, but no posts in the threads.
                        Originally posted by CMPR1966 View Post
                        Malamute seems like I remember reading that post. How strange.
                        Its the 6th post in this thread. Still there.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Ok, its a little less weird, though the email notice came 4 days later. I guess I just went with the link and it wasn't there where I expected it.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            Its the 6th post in this thread. Still there.
                            I Should have gone back further before jumping on board the disappearing post bus. At least I feel good knowing I remembered reading it. Sorry for freaking out. Now BACK TO TENT HEIGHTS

Comment

I believe this is an instance where the post is moderated. Once the post is approved, the email notification for "new post" is auto sent. But the actual post could be way at the beginning of the thread.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Ok, its a little less weird, though the email notice came 4 days later. I guess I just went with the link and it wasn't there where I expected it.
                                Originally posted by CMPR1966 View Post
                                I Should have gone back further before jumping on board the disappearing post bus. At least I feel good knowing I remembered reading it. Sorry for freaking out. Now BACK TO TENT HEIGHTS
                                I sentence you both to 50 lashes with a wet noodle.:whip:
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X