Let's Talk Guylines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Guylines!

Whilst breaking down the camp site after my long trip of much rain and wind I began doing what I should've done at the beginning: remove knots in the guy lines and change some of them to glow in the dark rope. Yes but then I realised that the new cord was/had a different diameter, weave and fabric composition than the original lines and I wondered if my upgrade was in fact a downgrade.

So, dear readers, what do you think is the best type of cording for a cabin style tent or any tent and why?

TIA!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Let's Talk Guylines!

I tried using the reflective 550 paracord. Didn't reflect very well, but the paracord worked great. The way I personally tie the guy lines. I don't use the black things that come with the tent. I tie a bowline knot down at the stake and I tie a Taut line hitch up at the tent or rainfly. That way, it you have to go around and tighten the guy lines out, you don't have to bend down on the ground.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I also use reflective and/or glow-in-the dark 550 paracord. Like Kingquad, it doesn't reflect very well, or glow very well, but it is strong and cheap. I don't tie knots very well or very fast, so I use the 3 hole tightner thingees. I have also tried the 2 hole tightner thingees I found on A**zon (hey, they were aluminum and a cool red color that "matched" my tent), but they were a pain to adjust, so I went back to the 3 hole ones.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

We use the thick cord found in any Home Depot for around $4.00 for a spool on plastic in neon bright colors - thick, strong, very inexpensive, easy to periodically replace. Nite-Eyez offers tighteners for around $10.00/set of four that are great, but we seem to have enough of the simple tightener of a flat 1 inch aluminum tab with a hole in one end for the knot and an open catch in the other for quick, knot-free tightening.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          Whilst breaking down the camp site after my long trip of much rain and wind I began doing what I should've done at the beginning: remove knots in the guy lines and change some of them to glow in the dark rope. Yes but then I realised that the new cord was/had a different diameter, weave and fabric composition than the original lines and I wondered if my upgrade was in fact a downgrade.

So, dear readers, what do you think is the best type of cording for a cabin style tent or any tent and why?

TIA!
          My honest opinion is that it doesn't matter. Unless the diameter is significantly smaller or the material is really weak it wont matter. Anything that will break the rope will destroy the tent too sooooo....use your common sense and enjoy.

Every time someone mentions common sense I think of this.

edit: I am not saying that you don't have common sense. I know you do. I was just sharing the image because it is funny.

If you are upset I am going to blame tplife

Also, I am kinda wondering if anyone ever sees these when I do them
          Last edited by James.; 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I use some orange 1/8" diameter rope I bought at Walmart. Not exact the 550 paracord, no sheath. It's just braided. Fairly visible, but I still manage to trip over it regularly.

Comment

Great topic.

I use the rope and the black metal thingamajig that came with the tent for my guy lines. They work ok. My tent has approx 15 guy lines. I have often wondered if there is a more efficient way of getting the job accomplished.

05kingquad700.......I like your idea. I really really suck at knot tying though. I need to take some time and learn how to tie a few knots............

FWIW.... My family has had a great time camping so far this summer. We have camped approx 25 nights since Memorial Day. We have camped at some sweet spots all across the state of MN. We have another 9 days of camping scheduled from now until mid August. I already have several late fall early winter trips lined up. My boys are having a blast spending time in the great outdoors. We have created some awesome memories.........
              Last edited by gmann; 07-22-2014, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I mostly use the MSR reflective guylines because they light up like neon when a head lamp or flashlight hits them.

It's sold in a kit with 50 feet of guyline and four of MSR's slick little aluminum adjusters.

The Kelty Triptease line is very similar.

Comment

for undoing knots,
                  should learn a couple basic removeable knots,
                  i dont know the names of them, but there is 1 i use for guidelines and other things,
                  kind of like tying a shoelace where a loop remains slide the knot up to tighten, yet just pull out the loose end to undo,
                  i also have purchased glow in the dark rope which i use, comes in like 50-100 feet, for relatively cheap,

Comment

Knots by Grog is a great knot tying website. Animated so you can see step by step.
                    Bowline (low by stake)
                    http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline...matedknots.com

taut line hitch (high near tent or rainfly)
                    http://www.animatedknots.com/midship...matedknots.com

Of course there is an app available from the site, and I am sure there are many other knot apps for smart phones.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      Knots by Grog is a great knot tying website. Animated so you can see step by step.
                      Bowline (low by stake)
                      http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline...matedknots.com

taut line hitch (high near tent or rainfly)
                      http://www.animatedknots.com/midship...matedknots.com

Of course there is an app available from the site, and I am sure there are many other knot apps for smart phones.
                      I will have to check this out. I have a couple 'goto' knots but as a former Boy Scout my knot tying skills are woefully inadequate.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I also need to learn some knots. Especially when camping. Thanks for the links.

Comment

Working...
                        X