1974 Camper on VW Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Camper on VW Bug

I just saw this video this morning and thought it was a pretty cool idea! A VW bug pulling a camper, but not with a hitch on the back... watch and see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

The maneuverability on this thing is amazing! Just thought ya'll might get a charge out of seeing this blast from the past. But I still think it's pretty brilliant!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: 1974 Camper on VW Bug

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
    I just saw this video this morning and thought it was a pretty cool idea! A VW bug pulling a camper, but not with a hitch on the back... watch and see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

The maneuverability on this thing is amazing! Just thought ya'll might get a charge out of seeing this blast from the past. But I still think it's pretty brilliant!
    Not sure how or why, but as soon as I read the word maneuverability, I figured there had to be some sort of fifth wheel configuration on that thing. But I can't say I pictured roof mounted. Someone definitely did their homework on that one!

Comment

Clever...I like it.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I love how you can back in the camper by driving forward! LOL! My Gram pulled a Casita with her Grand Marquis until age 85, but watching her try to back that thing up was downright scary, say nothing about the hitching process. Yikes!
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Watched it again and now I kind of want one. I wish they had shown the inside.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

So I poked around a little more since I am very intrigued by this roof-hitch camper. Nothing for inside views though James, sorry. :( I was hoping to see it too. What I did find was this excerpt from an old magazine regarding these campers and if they were ever actually available to the general public or just a concept:

International Travel Trailer Inc., introduces a revolutionary travel trailer. First in the Alpha Omega line, the El Chino model is made for use with small domestic and imported cars. It has a patented vehicle/trailer hitching system which allows 360 degree mobility of the car with respect to the trailer. Mounting the adjustable hitch across the roof at the center point evenly distributes the weight over all four wheels of the car and eliminates sway, floating and jack-knife effects. For more information write to International Travel Trailer, Inc., Dept. VWG Country Rd. 40, PO Box 591, Wakarusa, IN 46573.

And here's a vid from a guy that actually FOUND one of these campers in a junkyard:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU

And another vid from a guy that redesigned it in 2011 and made a concept open trailer with the same roof hitch:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_2-Lww5r4

And in case anyone wants more detail on the hitching system, you can view the patent docs here:
            http://www.google.es/patents/US3383119

I did find this interior pic of the same style of camper, but from a manufacturer named Shadow Trailers (Harmon Industries):

Just because, here's a vid of a big Suburban type rig pulling a huge roof hitch camper AND a boat!
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XixtZqpILm4
            This one looks like a totally different rig though, I see something like "Flexhom" on the camper itself.

These are just too cool, I wonder about the safety of it, the need for some kind of reinforced roof to be able to mount the hitch, etc. But it's still cool! :D

Comment

I'm just amazed that woman in the photos was able to get through the door with that big hair!
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

They were built with extra wide doors to accommodate 70's hair... LOL!

Comment

OMG, the Shadow one was actually a prize on the Price is Right way back when:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv3rLu4th4c

Holy Moley, they bounce that thing around pretty good in the beginning! Yikes! Also have a brief interior shot of the camper. I am still just utterly flummoxed as to how this would really work! LOL!

Comment

I doubt you could have a roof mount like that these days without some serious custom frame work. The cars back then were built with actual steel. Now they're made of tin foil layers. I had a '66 Plymouth Valiant that "somehow" ran into a split rail fence and all that happened was some scratched paint on the car and some split rail kindling. Try that in one of today's cars. But I guess it would be a nice way to find yourself suddenly sitting in a convertible.

Comment

And today's cars, SUVs and minivans don't have the required rain gutters.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I was reading the text on the flyer and have to say I'm actually disappointed. I really think that king bed should have been a waterbed!
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I doubt you could have a roof mount like that these days without some serious custom frame work. The cars back then were built with actual steel. Now they're made of tin foil layers. I had a '66 Plymouth Valiant that "somehow" ran into a split rail fence and all that happened was some scratched paint on the car and some split rail kindling. Try that in one of today's cars. But I guess it would be a nice way to find yourself suddenly sitting in a convertible.
                          I don't know about that. While modern cars are built with crumple zones that are designed to collapse and 'cushion' the passengers in a wreck the cabin of cars are designed to be tough as nails. That would have to include the roof for roll over accidents. I would think modern cars would fair at least as well as older cars. Remember that the hitch is attached to the frame of the car, not just the roof.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

I thought about the crumple zones and the cabin protection. I figure that they're designed to withstand compression, not tension or the back and forth strain as you accelerate and brake. Buuut... I'm no engineer, so what do I know? LOL In any event, it's an interesting concept. It's also got me wondering what the learning curve would be for figuring out turning corners and pushing the trailer while moving forward. I've been backing up campers and boats for years, so it surprised me how different it was when I tried a friend's front bumper hitch to push a trailer. Changing the pivot point evidently changes everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X