Tent Lighting?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent Lighting?????

Love this teeny light. It's bright, incredibly small and has a magnet closing:

http://snowpeak.com/products/mini-hozuki
    Great for multiple types of camping.
    I think you are gonna love the convertible headlamp, MacGyver!
    Gives off true colouring and not much weight.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-18-2014, 03:34 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey gang - long time reader of the forum...first time poster. Been car camping for over 20 years, the last 10 years with the wife/kids. We're 100% tenters.

NYCgrrl - I just purchased one of those mini-Hozuki's yesterday! Pricey-but I love the warm color of the led light that this unit puts out.

Another good warm color led lantern is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C5BXGQ/...I12JVPN9D7S1BS. Really like the light, $20, 3AA's (I use rechargeables).
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10717647.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	69896

Small yellow coleman lamp clipped to the roof of the tent that i've used for years. Just enough light to leave on all night. Ridiculously long battery life.

http://www.target.com/p/coleman-micr...14lhoC5Tbw_wcB

Comment

Thank you for all the replies! MacGyver I just ordered the http://www.rei.com/product/871874/bl...-2013-closeout at REI

We also ordered this mini lantern http://www.rei.com/product/871875/bl...-2013-closeout

I just saw your post and now I am thinking I may want to order the Snow Peak light you mentioned. It looks like it has amazing battery power!

We also purchased a bigger lantern, a GE that was at Costco for $19, a little big & heavier, but for that price it's worth a try. Now we just need to order the tent

Comment

Originally posted by michelliot View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4616[/ATTACH]

Small yellow coleman lamp clipped to the roof of the tent that i've used for years. Just enough light to leave on all night. Ridiculously long battery life.

http://www.target.com/p/coleman-micr...14lhoC5Tbw_wcB
            I have a couple of these little beauties too. Used them the first time on a motorcycle campout at an old YMCA camp. Had a cabin to myself. First night used a small lantern with D-cell batteries and old-school incandescent bulb, basically regular older flashlight bulb. Did not last the night.
            Switched to this yellow light, and it lasted the rest of the four day/night weekend. Still working when I got home. Other campers did complain of it's brightness sitting on the camp table at night though. ;-)
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have a couple of these
              http://www.amazon.com/LuminAID-Solar.../dp/B00CPX0EWO

(I keep one hooked to my patrol bag too, in case of power outages during shift, and that's in addition to 2 main flashlights and 2 cheapo LEDs)

It works surprisingly well. Not super bright but functional. And no batteries ever.
              Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
              Nights under the stars:
              2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
              2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by scubacamp View Post
                Thank you for all the replies! MacGyver I just ordered the http://www.rei.com/product/871874/bl...-2013-closeout at REI

We also ordered this mini lantern http://www.rei.com/product/871875/bl...-2013-closeout

I just saw your post and now I am thinking I may want to order the Snow Peak light you mentioned. It looks like it has amazing battery power!

We also purchased a bigger lantern, a GE that was at Costco for $19, a little big & heavier, but for that price it's worth a try. Now we just need to order the tent
                :lol:

One thing at a time eh
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by nycgrrl View Post
                  i think you are gonna love the convertible headlamp, macgyver![/i]
                  nope!
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4620[/ATTACH]
                  To go from lantern mode to headlamp mode, you press in the diffuser - a silicone bubble. A magnet is supposed to catch and hold it in but the magnet is so weak that the slightest bump makes it pop out again. I hadn't researched the thing, so I really wasn't expecting a magnetic catch. I'd figured it was like the collapsible silicone cups and bowls and would snap into each position like the cups and bowls do. I figured wrong. It made it as far as the work truck and right back to the store.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    nope!
                    To go from lantern mode to headlamp mode, you press in the diffuser - a silicone bubble. A magnet is supposed to catch and hold it in but the magnet is so weak that the slightest bump makes it pop out again. I hadn't researched the thing, so I really wasn't expecting a magnetic catch. I'd figured it was like the collapsible silicone cups and bowls and would snap into each position like the cups and bowls do. I figured wrong. It made it as far as the work truck and right back to the store.
                    Meh, I use the cheap energizer head lamps for work all the time so this one held no interest for me. The picture looked too delicate for me. However you made me curious enough to go and look at the reviews and now I am thinking of some led lights I have seen at my electric supply house. I didn't give them a second thought at the time but now I am thinking they might be great for the tent.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

It's really a shame about the Snow Peak. The light is nice and bright in headlamp mode and bright but not harsh in lantern mode. But, like I said, the magnetic catch thing is seriously lame.

The Princeton Tec Remix is my go to lamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	remix.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	69898
                      I do termite inspections and have to crawl through some ungodly small spaces that don't have any power or any illumination. This little thing rocks. Batteries last for weeks on the job which translates to plenty of juice to get through an extended weekend trip in the woods. And, unlike some of the higher end lamps, you don't have to go through a series of complicated clicks to get the right illumination level.

Comment

It's really a shame about the Snow Peak. The light is nice and bright in headlamp mode and bright but not harsh in lantern mode. But, like I said, the magnetic catch thing is seriously lame.

The Princeton Tec Remix is my go to lamp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4621[/ATTACH]
                        I do termite inspections and have to crawl through some ungodly small spaces that don't have any power or any illumination. This little thing rocks. Batteries last for weeks on the job which translates to plenty of juice to get through an extended weekend trip in the woods. And, unlike some of the higher end lamps, you don't have to go through a series of complicated clicks to get the right illumination level.
                        This Energizer Headlamp is what I use for crawling around in attics and other tight spaces. Takes the same 3 batteries (included) and has the same 100 lumens output. It looks a little bigger than the Princton but will pivot forward so you can aim it when you need to...and its half the price.
                        – E. B. White

Comment

And the energizer breaks into about 3 pieces when you drop it.....
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            And the energizer breaks into about 3 pieces when you drop it.....
                            I had two Energizer headlamps. They aren't that fragile. What I had problems with are the switches. Having to cycle through all the settings to shut 'em off seemed to wear 'em out.

Comment

I (like James) am an electrician. So they come off the hardhats onto concrete. That's a 6' fall onto concrete. But we are getting away from a camping application.
                              Nights camped in 2019: 24
                              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

nope!
                                Darn, I didn't see any mention of a magnet on the headset either. Is that the grey tab area on the side of the body? The mini Hozuki has a magnet but the Tulip doesn't. The magnet on the Hozuki works extremly well and but it may well have a stronger strength since it's specifically made for hanging and not as a closure. I'm thinking a magnetic closure doesn't make sense since "H" closures have worked so nicely for decades.
                                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                                X