3 week Road Trip From Northern California To Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3 week Road Trip From Northern California To Washington

Hopefully, this is not too late, but it is currently crabbing season in the Puget sound (San Juan Islands, WA), so when you make it to Washington, you should definitely experience catching/killing your dinner. We caught a bunch last weekend!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140720_134124002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	69961
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

We have been home for a month. Can you provide some details on what you use for crabbing as we are heading north to British Columbia next year.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

Of course! We have a place on Blakely Island, so we go crabbing in Friday Harbor. The crabs migrate back and forth from Island to Island; I still need to figure out when they populate Thatcher Bay the most. But I digress, when crabbing, I have come to find that the more expensive pots are worth their weight in gold.. literally. When shopping around make sure they are relatively light ( unlike the round ones with the thick rubber coating) . Because you are going to have drag that sucker from the bottom of the ocean floor to your boat with hopefully a pot full of crab.

The crab pots we use are square and circular shape; vinyl coated steel pots are amazing, but it comes down to the bait. We use chicken legs, and we catch tons of crab. My Aunt uses fish heads, and she cleans up pretty good as well. Please do your research before going crabbing, I mean there is not a lot to it, but there are a few tips to avoid from losing your pot. For example stick close to coves or at least close to shore, there is a less chance of a boat mowing over your line and cutting the bouy free.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I can make sure to get the name of where we bought our pots from my father.
        Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Working...
        X