3 week Road Trip From Northern California To Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 week Road Trip From Northern California To Washington

Hey everyone, it's always nice to get input from other campers. I am planning a 3.5 week road trip with my family of 4. We are starting from home (Bay Area) and plan on driving all the way to the border of Canada and to proceed through if we get an expired passport renewed in time. Canada would be nice. I spent about a month bicycling touring through Banff, Jasper, and everything in between. That was back in 1985. My family has never traveled through Canada.

We like to visit national parks for the day and disperse camp in the evening. We plan on visiting Lassen, Lava Beds, Mt. Rainier, Cascades, and Glacier National Parks. On the drive back, we will cruise through Idaho and Nevada to camp in the Rubies and then make our way to Yosemite.

I am open to all of your suggestions. Tell me where you have visited and what you like. If you have a favorite berry picking area, campground, etc., chime in.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: 3 week Road Trip From Northern California To Washington

I would include Mt. St. Helen's while in Washington. If you go from Banff to Jasper, Lake Louise is a great area with some nice trails.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterGirlinALA View Post
      I would include Mt. St. Helen's while in Washington. If you go from Banff to Jasper, Lake Louise is a great area with some nice trails.
      I forgot about Mt. St. Helen's. I will add that to my bucket. Lake Louise is gorgeous. If we get the passport back before I leave, then I will make a stop at Lake Louise.
      sigpic

Comment

Mt. St. Helen's is incredible. They left much of the blast area untouched and are letting it recover without removal of trees or replanting of vegetation in the natural areas.

As you know Banff and Lake Louise are beautiful and have wonderful hiking trails. I think it is Jasper that has the busses to take people out into the glaciers or maybe it was a bit south of Jasper.

Depending when you are in Washington, Seattle has the Sea Fair. Lots of activities and I really liked the Blue Angels show. On the calendar it looks like Sea Fair is the first weekend in August. Even if you are there only for the Blue Angels practice days it's a great show. Unless it's changed locations, they fly over Lake Washington; it's a beautiful lake and maybe some nice camping around the area.

Comment

I don't have suggestions for places, but if you make it over the border, pick up some All Dressed potato chips! They are the best potato chips you will ever eat and they are not available in the states. If you can tow a utility trailer when you go, I'll make a deal if you bring me back about 10 cases...
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Mt. St. Helen's is incredible.

As you know Banff and Lake Louise are beautiful and have wonderful hiking trails.

Depending when you are in Washington, Seattle has the Sea Fair. Lake Washington; it's a beautiful lake and maybe some nice camping around the area.
            Thanks for the great ideas! I have drove past Mt. St. Helen's but have never visited it. Some people have said that I could spend the entire 3 weeks traveling through Washington State and parts of Montana without ever going to Canada.

If my wife and kids were big hikers like myself, we could spend 3 weeks in just one national park like Jasper, Banff, Mt. Rainier, or Glacier.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              I don't have suggestions for places, but if you make it over the border, pick up some All Dressed potato chips! They are the best potato chips you will ever eat and they are not available in the states. If you can tow a utility trailer when you go, I'll make a deal if you bring me back about 10 cases...
              I will definitely try the All Dressed potato chips!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                Some people have said that I could spend the entire 3 weeks traveling through Washington State and parts of Montana without ever going to Canada.
                Very true...I've never been to Montana, but I could still go on about Washington. I'll refrain as I'm sure others will have some ideas.

Have fun, it's a great trip whether or not you make it into Canada!

Comment

We leave this Thursday for our 3 week road trip. No passport yet, so we plan on spending a good 10 days touring through Washington. Glacier National Park is on the agenda too. I like spontaneity. If we see or hear about an epic journey, we can change plans on the spot.
                  sigpic

Comment

Spontaneity sounds like a great road trip plan! Two other day trips I enjoyed while visiting Seattle were Chittenden Locks and Fort Lewis.

There is so much to do. I've got to get back out there one day! Have a great trip!

Comment

@ScotterGirl-What is the Chittenden Locks?

We plan on picking huckleberries again in the Cascades if it's a good season. Last year we picked a few pints compared to several gallons the year before.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here is a link to the locks, http://www.seattle.gov/tour/locks.htm. It was interesting seeing how the boats transferred from salt water to freshwater through the locks. With Sea Fair this weekend there should be a lot of boats. It was also interesting to watch the salmon go through the fish ladder.

Comment

We want to see the salmon running. This is on our bucket list.
                          sigpic

Comment

Here is a link to the locks, http://www.seattle.gov/tour/locks.htm. It was interesting seeing how the boats transferred from salt water to freshwater through the locks. With Sea Fair this weekend there should be a lot of boats. It was also interesting to watch the salmon go through the fish ladder.
                            Scooter Girl, we never made it to the locks in Seattle. However, we went to Bonneville Lock and Dam near Cascade, Oregon. We viewed huge salmon and other fish crossing the fish ladder. It was an amazing site!
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey that's awesome! I'm glad you got to enjoy the experience!

Comment

Working...
                              X