Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much fuel in my Coleman propane canister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much fuel in my Coleman propane canister?

Somewhere on campingforums.com, somebody had suggested that you could measure the weight of a full canister of propane fuel and compare it to the weight of an empty canister and calculate how much fuel is in a used propane canister

I did this for the 16.4 ounce green Coleman fuel canisters:

Full canister = 877 grams = 31 ounces
    Empty canister = 418 grams = 14.75 ounces

In my case, the net came to about 16.2 ounces. Close enough to the 16.4 ounce claim on the new canister

I did weigh a couple of full canisters and found some small weight differences, but these numbers are close enough for you to estimate how much fuel you have in the fuel canister:

(Used fuel canister weight in ounces - 14.7) / 16.4 = approximate % of fuel left in the canister.
    Last edited by Mike; 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM.

Re: how much fuel in my Coleman propane canister?

Same thing for the isopropane backpacking canisters. In fact, they have the net wt (weight of fuel when full) and gross weight (weight of canister and fuel when full) printed right on the canister. Very handy!

Also can be used for the BBQ propane tanks.

Comment

Thanks for this! My "shake and listen" method that I have been using for years just wasn't very accurate or dependable... LOL!
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

This trip I learned that a white gas Coleman stove's generator holds about 1/2 gallon of fuel. Transfered as much as possible into a smaller qt plastic container and then used the remainder of the gal. metal can's contents as starter for the fire pit. Useful during rainy season.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Well, before you toss out your liquid Coleman fuel, be advised that the liquid fuel is at least double the economy of propane canisters

A propane bottle holds 16.4 ounces of fuel for around $3.00. That is $24.00 per gallon=about TWICE as expensive as liquid Coleman fuel AND LIQID FUEL BURNA HOTTER THAN PROPANE

Propane is a LITTLE MORE CONVENIENT than liquid gas, but not so much so that it justifies the expense
          Last edited by Mike; 07-19-2014, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Well, before you toss out your liquid Coleman fuel, be advised that the liquid fuel is at least double the economy of propane canisters

A propane bottle holds 16.4 ounces of fuel for around $3.00. That is $24.00 per gallon=about TWICE as expensive as liquid Coleman fuel AND LIQID FUEL BURNA HOTTER THAN PROPANE

Propane is a LITTLE MORE CONVENIENT TO USE THAN LIQUID FUEL, BUT NOT ENOUGH TO USTIFY THE EXPENSE LIMO
            Singing to the amen corner. I can't store the metal container in my storage room due to building and fire dept. rules thus all the transferring. Would have given my excess to a fellow camper but was surrounded by propane users.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
            X