Just bought a new camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a new camper

I just bought a 24 foot keystone passport, haven't picked it up yet. We choose this unit because of its weight and floor plan I have a 5000lb tow rating and it weighs 3700lbs. Any good advise out there for a first time camper owner

Re: Just bought a new camper

Enjoy it. Are you planning on dry camping (no hookups)? If so, you might want to do a dry run at home (or a local campground) to see how long you can go without running out of: battery power; fresh water; space in your grey tank; space in your black tank. Once you know which ones runs out first and how long it lasts, you'll know how long you can stay someplace without having to empty/refill tanks, etc.

Also, it is real easy to start adding lots of "just in case" items to your supplies. Set up a rule and stick to it - if it hasn't been used in one year, then out it goes. Otherwise, you'll find you are carrying a lot of unnecessary weight. If you plan on doing seasonal camping (winter for snow activities, etc.), put the seasonal equipment in a storage bin and only add it to the camper when you need it. That way you're not carrying water toys to the snow, etc.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Congratulations! Enjoy yourself with your new camper often. I agree with toedtoes watch what you pack. Pushing close to your tow limit adds stress to your trip. One piece of advice would be to stay on top of your maintenance. Putting things off, or simply not doing them will deteriorate your camper quickly. If you keep up with things you will enjoy your camper for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rcarojr View Post
        I just bought a 24 foot keystone passport, haven't picked it up yet. We choose this unit because of its weight and floor plan I have a 5000lb tow rating and it weighs 3700lbs. Any good advise out there for a first time camper owner
        Congratulations on the new toy! If you haven't got one already, I would recommend a transmission cooler for your truck. By the time you load water and supplies in your camper, you'll be edging towards your towing limit. That's brutal on a transmission.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, my tow vehicle has a trans cooler and I spent the dough and bought timbren suspension system and a weight distribution hitch with anti sway and an electric trailer brake so hopefully no white knuckling for me. As for the first trip I scheduled for the end of this month about 50 mins from my house with full hookups so we can test everything out. I was thinking if I load the camper with 800 to 1000pounds of gear I should still be under my 5k limit and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            Congratulations on the new toy! If you haven't got one already, I would recommend a transmission cooler for your truck. By the time you load water and supplies in your camper, you'll be edging towards your towing limit. That's brutal on a transmission.
            +1

Definitely better to spend a couple hundred on a transmission cooler then a couple thousand on a transmission. Ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
            X