Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help newbies out.

Johnjohn? Are you listening?

The funny thing is that I don't remember much of a hassle when I registered. Maybe I posted a few times really quickly to show that I wasn't spam but nothing of any consequence. You know, just agreeing with someone else's post.

The truth is that I REALLY like this forum. There are some great people here and I can see the potential of this place to be something really special. It just frustrates me to know that people are turning away when their posts go unanswered.

BTW Shortpants...you are not the only one that doesn't see the newbies posts in the 'new posts' section. It is something I have been meaning to check on and bring up. It is definitely a problem and I for one appreciate your effort in searching them out and bumping them up.
    Last edited by James.; 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

James,
      I believe when you registered, Reno was a mod. He was on top of it. Pretty good guy and sorely missed. The only time he ever messed up was when he banned me under a different user name, course that might not of been an accident.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

The moment I open it up, you would be complaining about reading through all the spam. :D. I personally read forums like this uses the "new posts" button. Opening it up would ruin that button/filter. Since I've owned the URL we have been hacked only onces by some Yugoslavian teroists trying to get sympathy for their cause. They just wrote a PHP URL redirect. Other than that it has been safe doing it this way.

Yes, I'm just one dude.

I try to check the "mod" area about every other day. Not looking to make excuses or looking for sympathy.
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

JohnJohn,
          Just out of curiosity, what part of CO are you in? I am up in Longmont.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Johnjohn - I use the new posts button also, but I have found that if a newbie posts to a thread, that thread will not appear in the "new posts" because of the delay between their submitting the post and the approval of their post. If they actually started a thread, it will sag to the bottom without ever being seen because folks use the new posts button.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Johnjohn - I use the new posts button also, but I have found that if a newbie posts to a thread, that thread will not appear in the "new posts" because of the delay between their submitting the post and the approval of their post. If they actually started a thread, it will sag to the bottom without ever being seen because folks use the new posts button.
                Second this. I think most of us use the new post link and that is why new member posts go unnoticed.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

What I do is check the "What's New" first, then go to advanced search, click the radio button for "Posts", then in the Additional Options section at the bottom, change the Find Posts option to "A Week Ago" and that usually brings up all the newbie posts that have been approved but are not showing as new. Like this:

HTH with the new threads started by new members... but that still doesn't cover the posts that are made to existing threads by new members, those don't show up as "new" either and get buried by any posts to that thread after that.
                  Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                    What I do is check the "What's New" first, then go to advanced search, click the radio button for "Posts", then in the Additional Options section at the bottom, change the Find Posts option to "A Week Ago" and that usually brings up all the newbie posts that have been approved but are not showing as new. Like this:

HTH with the new threads started by new members... but that still doesn't cover the posts that are made to existing threads by new members, those don't show up as "new" either and get buried by any posts to that thread after that.
                    That is a good idea but honestly, we shouldn't need to do that.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      That is a good idea but honestly, we shouldn't need to do that.
                      I agree. The average forum user is not going to do a lot of work to ensure that new posts get read. They are going to use the easiest route possible to see the most posts at a glance. On this forum, that's a choice between the new post button, the new forum posts list at the right, and/or the new forum threads list at the right.

JohnJohn - I think the goal for everyone is to have a forum where folks can join and share in a love of camping without being inundated by spammers. I do think a lot of folks don't bother with this forum because of the registration process and the issues mentioned above that are caused by it. It's not worth your time and effort to keep this forum running if you don't get the users. I think looking at options to try to simplify the process could be a big benefit to you and still keep the spammers at bay.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I would like to take a moment here to thank JohnJohn for giving us all a place where we can (virtually) gather. I wouldn't know where to begin to create something like this and I appreciate the time and energy he gives to keep it going.

I really like this forum and know many others here do. This thread is proof of that. The fact that we are all giving our input on how to make it better shows how much we love this place. So thanks again JohnJohn.

Sorry if this is a bit touchy feely. I just didn't want anyone (JohnJohn) to get the impression that we are all just dumping on something he puts a lot of effort into. :D
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks James. Reading my last post over again I want to add that I VERY MUCH appreciate JohnJohn's work to provide us with this forum. My comments are not meant in a derogatory manner. I know how much work is involved in maintaining a forum (I'm actually running 2 right now). I do hope the comments on this thread are of help to JohnJohn in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            JohnJohn,
                            Just out of curiosity, what part of CO are you in? I am up in Longmont.
                            Castle Rock
                            JohnJohn
                            ---------
                            Forum Admin

Comment

or the owner of the forum could just "Mod" more often.

While the issue might appear to be spam only, it's really not the largest issue. Hacking a VB forum is pretty easy. A few years we got hacked and the entire forum was down for a few days. All because we didn't have the mod rules that are in place now. Many forums run this way.

Personally I think it's better than people trying to "inform" you by selling you stuff via their affiliate links.

As with anything good, if you make it through the first few days/posts then it's quite good.

I'll do a better job of getting on here and "mod" ing more often.

Thanks everyone for your sweet and loving comments. :heart: :na:
                              JohnJohn
                              ---------
                              Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by madstat View Post
                                :great:
                                JohnJohn
                                ---------
                                Forum Admin

Comment

Working...