Which Air pump To Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Air pump To Buy?

Looking for a fast air pump to pump up air beds, Right now I use the cheap batterie ones and they take way too long.
    I was wonder if any one had sugestions? I was looking at the Coleman Rechargable air pump?
    If any one has this one or could point me in the right directions. Thanks in advance for any help or in put.

-Power

Re: Which Air pump To Buy?

We have a Coleman rechargeable air pump but I don't know if it is the same one but definitely similar. I love it. In fact we lost the charger for it and I need to order a new one before we go on our next trip in a couple weeks. What I can tell you for sure is don't get one of the hand pump ones. I got one after we realized the cord was lost for the power one and that's what we took on our last trip. It worked well but it wears you out.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

+1 for James comment. Don't waste your money on a hand pump

Whatever you pick, make sure the pump nozzles match your mattress inflate holes

Comment

I have a battery one and hand pump. I fill with battery one and finish off with the hand to get the firmness desired. Doesn't wear you out. Without the battery one you will get tired and hot pumping them up. In the summer heat it makes it even worse. Thinking of buying an AC powered unit when my battery operated one dies and using the AC inverter connected to vehicle.

Comment

I have one that attaches to the car battery. I would NOT suggest that type. That means you have to move an inflated air mattress into a tent. Kind of hard. Make sure you can inflate mattress inside your tent.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	inflator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	69885I've been using this type for years. Despite their being cheap, I've never burned one up. The two that did break on me were due to 1) alcohol induced stoopidity by yours truly and 2) a camping buddy's alcohol induced stoopidity.

Inflating them inside the tent is a good idea. I carry small gels cells so that's not a problem for me. If you don't want to go that route, a 12V extension cord to reach your vehicle would do the trick. I finish the inflation off with a few breaths, but if you like your mattresses extra firm, the hand pump is also a good idea.

I also like these because they replace one of the guys that used to go camping with us. When the fire needed stoking, we used to yell, "Hickman! Fire needs help!" and this guy with what seemed to be the lung capacity the size of a blimp would stick his face in fire, blow as hard as he could and get the flames going. Well... he turned out to be thin skinned and couldn't deal with the ragging our bunch of drunken idiots like to throw out. So he's no longer around. Needing a replacement, I figured out that a piece of 3/4" conduit stuck on the end does a great job of kicking up a fire. We've named this invention Electric Hickman.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]4602[/ATTACH]I've been using this type for years. Despite their being cheap, I've never burned one up. The two that did break on me were due to 1) alcohol induced stoopidity by yours truly and 2) a camping buddy's alcohol induced stoopidity.

Inflating them inside the tent is a good idea. I carry small gels cells so that's not a problem for me. If you don't want to go that route, a 12V extension cord to reach your vehicle would do the trick. I finish the inflation off with a few breaths, but if you like your mattresses extra firm, the hand pump is also a good idea.

I also like these because they replace one of the guys that used to go camping with us. When the fire needed stoking, we used to yell, "Hickman! Fire needs help!" and this guy with what seemed to be the lung capacity the size of a blimp would stick his face in fire, blow as hard as he could and get the flames going. Well... he turned out to be thin skinned and couldn't deal with the ragging our bunch of drunken idiots like to throw out. So he's no longer around. Needing a replacement, I figured out that a piece of 3/4" conduit stuck on the end does a great job of kicking up a fire. We've named this invention Electric Hickman.
              Perfect
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

I use this battery powered one:

and have been very happy with it. It fills relatively fast (like 3-5 minutes for a queen, single high mattress), comes with four different sizes of nozzles, and I have been using the same six C batteries for two years now, and STILL haven't had to change them. We use our air mattresses at home as guest beds also, so we have used this pump a LOT.

I got the pump as a package, buy a queen mattress, get the pump free, so I actually have two of the battery pumps, we always have a spare to put into action if the first goes on the fritz. I also have the plug-in version of this pump for use at home, and have been happy with that one too, although I've only used it a couple times.

MacGyver - The Electric Hickman story made me crack up! Too funny!
                Last edited by Shortpants; 07-09-2014, 03:55 AM.
                Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Thanks every one for your help and input.

Comment

Another vote for the Coleman rechargable air pump. Loud as all get out but a full charge will last for a 2-1/2 week trip before needing a power source.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have one like SP uses, holds several D-cell batteries. Also have the 12V Auto Plug-in model - same basic pump, just plugs in to car or bike. I have used a small 12V tire pump I carry on my bike, but it's high pressure/low volume so takes a good 20 minutes to inflate a small air mattress. But I keep it humming while I put up the tent, and get both finished about the same time. Would NOT use it to do a big airbed though!
                      A few times I have had to inflate the air mattress by mouth - I sit in a chair and take my time. Could sure use Hickman at that time!! ;-)
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've too owned the coleman rechargeable pump for at least 12 years and finally on my first camping trip this season, it went dead even after I charged it for 24 hrs before. Took it apart with a few screws and looked for the specks on the battery. On the internet, I found a replacement via Ebay or a private battery company and it has been reborn and trustworthy ever since.

In the instructions for the pump it just says to please dispose of properly.
                        Did the same for my portable Ipod speakers but that was a little more involved taking it apart and reassembling.

Don't throw these things out until all possibilities are explored.

Be well.........elliot
                        The coleman rechargeable pump was very well made.

Comment

Things to do with an air mattress inflator.
                          here ya go MacGyver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjH_1i7VJLg

Comment

Originally posted by Element 79 View Post
                            Things to do with an air mattress inflator.
                            here ya go MacGyver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjH_1i7VJLg
                            Yeah - their conduit looks like mine. But I bet theirs doesn't have a name. We have "The Hickman Pole" that's become one of our stupid traditions. For some reason, we like to melt bottles with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                              Could sure use Hickman at that time!! ;-)
                              LOL Our friend may have fallen off the face of the Earth, but it's good to know his spirit lives on in the minds of campers - now beyond our little gang of idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X