Expensive tarp vs cheap plastic tarp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expensive tarp vs cheap plastic tarp

I'm not so sure that that second picture is a 16. Judging by the tent, it might be a 12. I'm going to call Kelty on Monday to see if I can't get a definitive answer on this.

I've put up an 18 x 24 poly tarp without trees so I don't think I'd be too worried about a 16 x 16

Comment

That looks way bigger than my 12 x 12. Here's another photo. I think that's a 4-man tent, or roughly 8 feet by 8 feet. The Noah's 12 is big enough to cover a picnic table (pitched on the diagonal). It's about 16 feet from grommet to grommet along the ridge line.

Comment

I think I'd have to agree with hwc1954, that looks too big for a 12 foot tarp.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Jack View Post
          I think I'd have to agree with hwc1954, that looks too big for a 12 foot tarp.
          I'll go along with that. I hope work isn't crazy tomorrow and I can remember to call Kelty about the tie outs. Having early senior moments these days...

Comment

I have a 12' x 12' Kelty. Have only used it once camping as a shade area covering my kitchen/sitting area outside the tent. That was up on the Mogollan Rim here in AZ, so it was very windy and made a lot of noise. The last night it was gusting so much I had to take it down. Howver, the tarp itself is very sturdy and light weight. I've used it the last three summers as a sun block hanging off the side of my covered porch to keep the morning sun from making the patio unusable. With a few carabiners and a bungee cord attached to a patio support pole, the tarp can be drawn up quickly in the event of storms to lower its profile and has survived several of our dust storms and monsoon winds. Having all of the pullouts is very handy.

I like mine so much I bought a 9" x 9" for my parents to use as an extra shade for their gazebo in their backyard.

I'm also thinking of converting my minivan to a mini-RV for travel camping and using the Kelty as an awning by attaching it to the roof rack and setting up a couple of poles.
            Last edited by Dust Devil; 07-29-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X