Hanging Kitchen Organizer from a closet shoe hanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Kitchen Organizer from a closet shoe hanger

I had seen a few versions of these kitchen organizers on the net, then remembered we had an old shoe organizer hanging in the back of one of our closets. I finally found it and once I noticed it was a horizontal configuration and not the vertical ones I had seen, I wondered if it would still work. It did! Even better than the vertical one for me actually with some of the longer/larger items I was able to store in there. Best part is that I can just roll it up for packing. That part is pretty sweet!

This is the "front" of it. This part stays packed and is what I roll up. Top slot is knives, scissors and sharp utensils, next three are spoons, forks, butter knives, below that is the long tongs and the bottom is the spatula and serving spoons

This is the "back" of the organizer. These things get packed in the dishpan, then get loaded into the hanger when we get there, otherwise I couldn't roll it up. The hot mits hang off the very top, then dish towels in the top slot, heavy duty foil and extra trash bags in the next space, there's a pocket missing so it makes a perfect space for the cutting boards and extra ziplocs, then salt and pepper and my pill case herb and spice storage in the bottom

So nice to just pull out whatever you need. I might try to hang the paper towels from this unit somewhere too, but not sure quite how to do that yet.

On a side note of "things to steal out of your closet for camping", I also grabbed a couple of those clip-type pant/skirt hangers on a whim, and they ended up being quite handy! We used them to hang trash bags, dry stuff by the fire, hang the dart scoreboard and pen, I will definitely be adding these to the camping bin!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: Hanging Kitchen Organizer from a closet shoe hanger

That is good! No, it's smart. It re-purposing gone beauteous. Now to attach the paper towel holder...........gonna think on it for both of us:confused:
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Maybe take a piece of rope, run it through the tube of the paper towels and then hang it around the hanger. You could hang it as high or low as needed.

Comment

For the paper towel holder, how about running a wire coat hanger through the slot with the foil. Then you can slide the wire through the paper towels and make a clip (like a safety pin) to hold the ends of the wire together so the towels don't fall off the end. Just remove the towels when you're ready to leave and the wire folds up with the shoe bag. With the missing slot, there's enough room for the towels without losing the space for the cutting board.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I was thunking last night about the paper towel hanger part and constructed a convulted mental method that involved sewing an extra layer of fabric to the top of shoe hanger and then early this morning the better idea struck.
          Stitch a tube of fabric (cutting a strip from an old outdoor vinyl table cloth could work) directly under the metal hanger bar. The tube should be centered to distribute the weight evenly and allow hand access to the roll. Insert a bungee cord into one open end of the fabric tube and out the other. Now thread the bungee cord head thru the paper towel tube. Join the 2 hooks together.

Be sure the fabric tube has an opening wide enough for the bungee cord hooks to fit through and add 3/4" to the fabric's width using 1/4-3/8" seam allowance. Often when I write how to sew something it makes lil sense to any one but me sooooo question anything written and eventually I'll try drawing a pic.

HTH!
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks NYCgrrl, I think I can envision what you mean. I found another pic of the vertical style organizer with the paper towels hanging on the top, like this:

but I'm wondering if having them there would interfere with the top pocket or not. I also considered doing this instead:

since we actually have that exact water jug.
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Sorry.. jaws dropped and marveling at the ingenuity of this creativity! Please ... more please!
              Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Working...
              X