Medical Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Kits

One thing that I never seem to take with me camping that I would like to put together is a medical kit. From a simplistic view I would think of something along the lines of ibuprofen, tylenol, immodium (Especially on scout trips), bandaids, guaze, and some tape or other things to wrap up an ankle, etc., but beyond that what do you recommend?

I have seen kits that you can buy that range from $20 - $200 and a small kit seems like a good spot to start for a self contained medic pack that I just add a few things to but wondering how much one is overpaying by buying a little self contained kit versus just building one out on your own. And in either case what you suggest making sure to add that I may be missing. I would prefer something small that could be used for backpacking although typically something I would throw in for car camping too for the just in case.

Re: Medical Kits

garlic
    sounds strange, but has many antiseptic uses,
    inlcuding numbing gumbs in case of a toothache,

Comment

Just spent an hour replenishing my 1st aid kit a week or so back.

I build my own case and am assured of the efficacy of whatever OTC products are w/i it. Pretty sure I'm saving money as well since most of the products are already in my medicine cabinets. I store it all in a gusseted pint Ziploc bag.
      Hmmmmm...the only not found in every kit item I can think of is a good pair of slant tipped tweezer. I like Tweezerman's cuz they keep sharp and retain the "springiness" one expects for a really long time. Oh right and I bring an old fashioned bottle of mercurochrome (the stuff that looks like iodine) so I can see wood and glass splinters with ease.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

if its a new kit,
        and you dont have any first aid at home, may be worth it to get a $20 kit to start off with,
        you might already have alot of the basics at home,
        many time store bought kits are a whole lot of bandaids,
        not enough of 4x4 and larger patches.
        you mentioned scout trips, if supplying for a group like scouts may want larger kit but can still do it yourself,
        also not sure of scout rules, but check if your allowed to administer meds like aspirins to scouts,
        look at what kits include and see what you already have,
        bandaids/
        larger patches
        wrap,
        tape,
        finger splint
        ace bandage,
        tweezers,
        burn ointment

you may also want to break up the kit, larger kit stays at camp, smaller kit on field trips/hikes and such.
        as your going through the process thats also a good project to do with the scouts, maybe get them each to carry a small first aid kit that they put together from home.

Comment

You can build a much better first aid kit than you can buy. Mainly, because the pre-fab kits use cheap band-aids and rarely include any medications other than anti-biotic cream.

Use a good kit as a base. Remember that you do not need enough bandages or gauzes to supply field army. Also, you typically do not need crazy stuff like needles and sutures unless you are really going so far into the back-country that you cannot get out and have to take extreme measures.

For most people, a first aid kit is a comfort box used to make the owwie go away. More serious than that and you are going to the hospital. So make sure you have all the stuff you need to make the owwie go away:

Ibuprophin/aspirin
          anti-hystamine like Benadril
          Anti-itch cream
          Anti-bacterial cream
          Sunburn cream (aloa gel kept in the ice-box is great)
          anti-diarhia medicine (Japanese Seirogan is the best in the world)
          Bug Bite medicine (Tiger Balm is excellent)
          Muscle rub cream (Tiger Balm is excellent)
          Chap stick
          Fels Naptha Soap, Pine-tar soap, or strong home-made lye soap (for poison ivy and washing injuries, best of disinfectants)

Finger bandages
          regular bandages - get the best quality you can like the cloth type that stays on when wet.
          Thin large/wide feminine napkin to cover large wounds like scrapes and road rash
          Tape for large bandages
          tweezers
          Duct tape - many uses for improvised bandages and blisters (good substitute for mole skin)
          Mole Skin (or duct tape)
          Long Needle for draining blisters and for removing splinters. probing punctures and wounds

Toothache medicine - Oil of Cloves is traditional - a luxury item that you might never use, but if you have it and need it, a Godsent

ear-ache medicine - most important if you have small children. Needs to be replaced occassionally

Forceps - you will be surprised how often you will use them.

Latex gloves - need to be replaced occassionally. Recently a guy stumbled into camp looking for help getting a fish hook out of his hand. I did not know the guy and was glad to have the latex gloves because he was bleeding all over the place.

There will be other great suggestions from other members you can consider.

Comment

I just keep throwing new band aids in the first aid kit I got from my last job. Its all I really use out of it anyway...although once I DID need some gauze and medical tape.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

I got an el-cheapo first aid kit from Walmart with band aids, Neosporin, gauze, alcohol wipes, etc, then added my own little jars of hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, kids/infant painkillers and Benedryl, adult painkillers, antacids, Benedryl afterbite stick, Ace bandage, aloe gel, tweezers, itch cream, nail clippers and file, and I pack it all together in a small ditty bag that came with my luggage set. Fits perfect and it's all together in the same place. I used empty (cleaned) baby food jars for the liquids, they seal well and are the perfect size for the kit.

I'm now going to add some latex gloves after reading Mike's post above, thanks! Hubby is a nurse, so his pockets are full of the things when he gets home! Time to throw a couple in the first aid kit.
              Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Along the same lines...does anyone else carry a fire extinguisher in their car/truck?
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

I have considered throwing one in car since we have a couple smaller ones here at the house, but for camping, I always have a box of baking soda in case of a grease fire or small fire.

Note: you can also use the baking soda to make a paste with vinegar for poison ivy/sumac/oak, going back to the first aid... :P
                  Baking soda is a pretty versatile item in the woods and home: http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/22/home-4/
                  Last edited by Shortpants; 07-04-2014, 10:37 AM.
                  Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I had wanted to respond to this thread before, but due to my "probationary period" I couldn't. So I had created another thread in another section but it got lost in the fold.

If you are creating a medical kit to be used by a group of people (scouts, etc.) who may not be aware of the medical history of individual members, do NOT include aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. in the kit.

If someone is in pain, the first thing people think of is to give a pain reliever - but it can do more harm than good. It can badly react with other medications, it can prevent blood from clotting (aka blood thinning), it can cause allergic reactions, etc. Let people bring their own pain medications for headaches, etc. In the case of an injury, if the pain is great enough to require medication, then it should be seen by a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

If it's for family use, then a quick instruction on who uses what type of pain reliever and why can prevent any potential mistakes.

Fire extinguishers - I currently have a small one in my RV. I do plan on adding a larger one also.

A few handy items to have that don't take up much room:
                    braces wax - this works great for lost fillings and caps. Regular wax goes hard when used in the mouth and falls off the tooth easily; the braces wax stays pliant and can easily be pushed into a filling hole.
                    Orobase paste (not the gel) - the numbing agent works great to ease toothpain, etc., and the paste substance will cover a canker sore and hold the gum together at that spot so you can eat without getting food in the sore and causing more pain.
                    Tick tweezer - rather than regular tweezers, these stay in the pinched position so you can easily twist without losing hold of the tick.
                    Horse wrap - used on horses' legs. Sticks to itself and slightly elastic. (Hospitals use it also) Works great as a bandage wrap for pets (where regular tape can stick to their fur). With the bright colors available, it can be used as an easy identifier for belongings, kids, pets, etc.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have long used my own home and emergency medical kits. I have had occasion to need them, at home and once at the shooting range. I have a large red toolbox at home carrying bulk bandages and alcohol & provodone iodine. I used to use aspirin, but since I am on blood thinners, I now use acetaminophen (Tylenol). Naturally excessive bleeding is a major concern for me.
                      I carry personal FAKs in my minivan, in backpacks and on my motorcycle.
                      And yes, I carry a medium sized fire extinguisher in the minivan - larger than what are usually considered 'car sized'. I have had those smaller units prove too little on too many occasions.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have a small kit I carry, it contains a couple of bandaids, a few tabs of ibuprofen and benadryl, some steri-strips, a daub of neosporin, and a needle for blisters. Less than an ounce altogether. For hiking, especially for more than a day or two, foot care become of paramount importance, particularly if I am with someone without a lot of experience. Moleskin works OK, but what I carry is tincture of benzoin (in ampoules) and Leukotape-P. Benzoin prepares your skin for the tape. The tape is REALLY sticky, like gaffer's tape. Unlike moleskin, this stuff won't come off until you're ready for it to. I've had a hike ruined by blisters - now I don't go on the trail without this stuff. Adds a couple of ounces to my pack, but WELL worth the weight penalty.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                        X