Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	72709Click image for larger version

Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	72710

Attached are a couple pics of my set up over Memorial Day weekend. My two sons (ages 5 and 8) and I went up to northern MN on Thursday and broke camp on Memorial Day.

First time using a majority of our gear. Everything went as planned.

We camped in a dispersed site on the SE corner of a lake. We had a great time. The weather was in the low eighties during the day and mid fifties at night.

We are already planning our next trip for the first part of June.

Re: First trip of the year

Click image for larger version

Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	69875Click image for larger version

Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	69876

A couple more pics.

The lake was about 50 yards from the tent. Lake temp was about 45 degrees and made bathing a bit "brisk".

Comment

Nice looking set up.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Sweet! Your boys must have been in heaven...

Comment

Very impressive: I'm assuming that the images were from the first day. How did it look after a couple of days of living there with the kids and which end did you set up the bowling pins.

Glad all went well.....

elliot
          Last edited by michelliot; 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Does your tent have a vent for a stove?!? If so hubba hubba to the nth!
            Luverly cots as well - where did you get them from?
            Oh as for your vestibule.....makes it worthy to invest in one and changing my thinking radically:cool:.

Errrrrrrr.....doesn't appear you and yours froze to death either......
            Oops!! Better close my mouth zipper again:p
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Pics were taken around the half way point of the trip. Between the tent and the lake there is a 20x40 covered pavilion on a concrete slab. That is where most of the gear (food stuff, coolers etc) was being stored. Fwiw between the pavilion and the tent was where the fire ring was located.

The vestibule is pretty bare because we just set that up prior to the pics being taken. We set it up because there was a strong possibility of storms moving in and I wanted the added protection to the entry from rain or wet ground. Also, the vestibule is quite impressive as it really adds room for gear and other stuff.

The tent does have a place for a wood stove. I own a wood stove and brought it along on this trip but unfortunately the temps didn't get cold enough (I own a Four Dog 4dx wood stove). For the record, I would rather have temps in the forties than temps in the eighties..........

I own four cots. 2 cots are the Cabela's XL Outfitter cot with pivot arm. The other cots are the Disc-O-Bed bunk bed cots. Also, on the single cots I have the Exped Comfort MegaMat 10 sleeping pad. The pads are sweet! And for those r value freaks (you know who)......it has a r value of 9.5.

All in all it is quite the set up. I spent all winter purchasing gear to get ready for this camping season and I was pretty spot on with the gear I got. After spending a few days in the woods the only item I can think of getting is a 8x8 piece of indoor/outdoor carpet for the vestibule.

My goal is to spend a minimum of 20 nights in the tent. So far we have spent 8. I am really looking forward to late fall into winter camping with this gear!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                Errrrrrrr.....doesn't appear you and yours froze to death either......
                Oops!! Better close my mouth zipper again:p
                HA! My first thought was how is he posting if he obviously froze to death?
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Wow....a 5 and an 8 year old. You've got many family camping trips ahead of you. My guys are 18 and 20, and while my son still enjoys camping, we have a couple of trips planned for this summer, he's then off to college. It was a great deal of fun while it lasted. With the scouts we went every month all year as well as on our own.

Count your blessings...............elliot

Comment

Cherish your boys and the years you have with them. They look to be adorable sponges just waiting to be filled with love and knowledge. You certainly seem to be doing a good job at your life task.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

that is one sweet setup...speaking of setup, how long does it take to set everything up?
                      I can't tell from the pics but is it canvas? One could do some serious living in that and with the
                      stove it could be year-round. NICE
                      Last edited by TNONMYMIND; 05-30-2014, 11:50 AM. Reason: forgot a word!

Comment

Originally posted by TNONMYMIND View Post
                        that is one sweet setup...speaking of setup, how long does it take to set everything up?
                        I can't tell from the pics but is it canvas? One could do some serious living in that and with the
                        stove it could be year-round. NICE
                        Thanks. The tent got quite a few comments last weekend.

With two adults it took an hour and a half to set up the tent and everything inside the tent. I would say just under an hour to set the tent. This was only the second time I have set it up. I'm guessing that with two people and once a "system" is established then it would probably take less than 45 minutes to set up. The tent itself sets up in less than 15 minutes. Setting up the 12 - 15 guy lines is what takes the most time. Takes about 30 minutes to tear it down.

It's not canvas and it's a bit different than most tent materials. The following is from the Cabela's website "waterproof 250-denier polyester oxford X-Treme Tent Cloth has a high tear strength and resists punctures for lasting reliability."

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pictures, that's a beautiful outdoor setting and I love big tents - as long as someone else sets them up. Don't worry about the peanut gallery comments, if you like taking extra gear to stay warm on cots I say more power to you - just don't give up on camping!
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                            Thanks for sharing your pictures, that's a beautiful outdoor setting and I love big tents - as long as someone else sets them up. Don't worry about the peanut gallery comments, if you like taking extra gear to stay warm on cots I say more power to you - just don't give up on camping!
                            Thanks.

We car camp. Bringing extra gear is not an issue.

The setting in my pics is one of my favorite spots anywhere. Chippewa national forest in northern MN.

June is going to be a great month. We are in the process of planning our next trip to Itasca State Park to visit the headwaters of the Mississippi. After that we will spend a week or so on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Comment

Working...
                            X