Ocotillo Wells SVRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocotillo Wells SVRA

I'm headed to the Ocotillo Wells SVRA in southeastern California this weekend. I've never been there - anyone have any suggestions of what to see/check out?
    Nights camping in 2014: 18
    Nights camping in 2015: 24
    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Re: Ocotillo Wells SVRA

No-fee camping, get somewhere east of the established campground and set up camp wherever you want. Glamis "it ain't", but it's an interesting landscape accessible by 2 or 4-wheel drive vehicles as there are many maintained graded unpaved roads. I"ve even seen cars parked back in the "mud caves" or borrego - no small feat. We enjoy it during the winter as it's close by San Diego and you can get a big group together without being bothered. You don't want to be here between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it's God-awful hot. Take into consideration that high winds will sometimes spring up, anything less than a quality tent can be quickly shredded - always stake out your gear if you're tenting out here.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Wow - did you call it. We encountered wind like I've never seen before. Saturday was gorgeous - high 80s, but dry - quite calm for most of the day. About 2-3pm....the winds picked up and by 6pm all bets were off. Couldn't even bear to be outside the sand was pelting us from seemingly all directions at the same time! I'm typically a purist and will withstand nearly any weather (as long as everyone is safe). But this was TOO much wind/sand. We packed up on Saturday night and headed home. It was a fun 24-27 hours. Ha!
      Nights camping in 2014: 18
      Nights camping in 2015: 24
      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I hear 'ya, we pack goggles for walking around in it and typically put our vehicle upwind to anchor part of the tent...my daughter is sleeping inside:

Going home Sunday morning:

Last edited by tplife; 08-29-2014, 08:24 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X