Heading to Assateague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Assateague

Last time I needed a camp site, I headed here and got the best suggestion of my camping career, so I thought I'd try again. When I was a kid, my family went camping in Assateague Island and had a wretched experience with a crowded, noisy and dirty campground. My kids want to go this summer, and I am hoping to steer into a higher quality facility. Tent campers, family of four...

Any suggestions?

Re: Heading to Assateague

Considering I'm the only one from Maryland on here (that I know of), I really wish I could give you some pointers and some good news. The sad fact is, I've always avoided Assateague because I've never really heard anything positive about it except that it's the only place to camp on the beach here. The reviews I've seen seem to favor Assateague Island National Seashore Campground over the State Park, but even a lot of those mention wind and flies and their famous wild horses causing problems.

Comment

I grew up in Maryland. We camped in a pop-up travel trailer at Assateague every summer. Some of the best times were the impromptu group campfires. It was always a highlight to see the horses, maybe because Marguerite Henry's book Misty of Chincoteague was a huge part of my childhood

I'd give anything to be able to camp there with my parents again - they were avid campers. I have nothing but good memories.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Any recommendations for better camping that are within 45 minutes to an hour from Assateague? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefuzz View Post
          Any recommendations for better camping that are within 45 minutes to an hour from Assateague? Thanks.
          I hope you don't think I'm trying to put a damper on your plans with all of this - I really do think I'm painting a realistic picture here. As much as I hate to admit it, Maryland's not the best place to find good camping sites. Like a lot of the mid Atlantic coast, it's crowded here. Way back when I was married, I remember my wife and I toured a lot of new places because we'd been camping almost exclusively at Codorus State Park in Hanover, PA. We wanted a change of pace, so we drove through campground after campground, State parks and privately owned, and everywhere we went we saw people almost sitting within conversation distance to the sites next to them. And the money they charge! I know I'm getting up there in age and things aren't as cheap as "the old days", but I still think $36 a night for a site is ridiculous - especially when you can hear your neighbor snoring at night (as well as other "night time activities")! That's why I'm always heading out to the western part of the state. Unfortunately, that's well beyond your driving range. From where you are, I would say you'd be better off staying within Pennsylvania or maybe venturing into New Jersey.

Comment

That's ironic. Codorus is about 45 minutes from my home and my family and a couple others retreat there several times a year. We like the water, so the other place we like is Shawnee State Park, about 2 hours west of us. I hear what you're saying. Despite reports I've read to the contrary, PA has a fine state park system and most of the campgrounds that I've visited are well kept and provide a good family experience. And like you said, most of them have at least a few areas for "Tent only" camping where the sites are wooded and somewhat private. Hard to compete when looking at some of the camp farms in MD, but my kids have made it clear that they want to head that direction, so just looking for the best option. I glad of your advice MacGyver.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefuzz View Post
              That's ironic. Codorus is about 45 minutes from my home and my family and a couple others retreat there several times a year. We like the water, so the other place we like is Shawnee State Park, about 2 hours west of us. I hear what you're saying. Despite reports I've read to the contrary, PA has a fine state park system and most of the campgrounds that I've visited are well kept and provide a good family experience. And like you said, most of them have at least a few areas for "Tent only" camping where the sites are wooded and somewhat private. Hard to compete when looking at some of the camp farms in MD, but my kids have made it clear that they want to head that direction, so just looking for the best option. I glad of your advice MacGyver.
              That's not ironic - that's geographic! LOL We're almost neighbors (if you consider 3 hours away neighbors). As far as your wanting to stay in Maryland, I'll see if one of my camping gang can give me the heads up on parks near here. Most family campgrounds can't accommodate our entire group, so we tend to ignore 'em. Then there's that something about large groups and the associated late night drinking binges that seem to happen whenever we get together that doesn't quite cut it in family parks.:D We're going out the second weekend in May. Hopefully I can come back with some tips for you.

Comment

For some strange reason I am completely enthralled with this conversation.

P.S. Still would like to see some more smileys in this forum
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

This conversation is quite engrossing. I don't blame you at all. You must be absolutely on the edge of your seat.

I think I have convinced my camping compadres that Assateague is not the place to go. I told my daughter that next time we go to Rehoboth, maybe we'll take a day trip...

I am trying to get everyone to agree on Cowons Gap: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...sgap/index.htm Much nicer camping area, and still some water for fishing and kayaking.

Comment

Working...
                  X