• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar powered phone case

i know there are solar chargers out there,
    but came across this, didnt know it existed
    and like the idea of solar panel integrated into a slim case
    -----

Powerful 2,000 mAh battery integrated into a protective case, equipped with a thin-film solar panel for emergency charging.

-2000 mAh battery capacity

-Doubles the battery life of your phone

-Integrated with Ascent Solar’s revolutionary CIGS solar technology

-Ultra thin an

Re: solar powered phone case

link?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      link?
      http://enerplex.biz/shop/surfr-for-iphone5/

i know nothing about the company or product,
      just happen to come across it and got my attention

Comment

Hmmm...the one for the galaxy s3 is only $35
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I saw one in Hammacher Schemmler's catalogue and yeah it does look cool.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Solar power from a panel that small is still a gadget. Maybe in the future. Your best bet is one or more backup external power packs about the size and weight of an old Walkman cassette player ( if you can relate)

Charges an iPhone at least six times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Solar power from a panel that small is still a gadget. Maybe in the future. Your best bet is one or more backup external power packs about the size and weight of an old Walkman cassette player ( if you can relate)

I dont expect much from a small panel
              Just enough to send some texts maybe some pics
              If i can get 20% juice back may be plenty
              Would be curious how much it produces over a few hrs sitting in the sun

Comment

If you're intent on using your electronics, there are all kinds of solar options. CIGS solar cells are getting up there as far as wattage and size go. The 12 watt Brunton Solaris folds up to next-to-nothing and weighs in at only 11 ounces. Unless you want to stream video all day on your iPhone, it should more than be up to keeping you charged. Only drawback, at least for me, is the price. They've dropped a lot in the last few years, but they're still pricey compared to rigid panels.

Comment

I believe the case in the link is also an external battery.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    I believe the case in the link is also an external battery.
                    Yes, it is, but with only 2,000 mH it is not worthy of the weight or the cost

Comment

Yes, it is, but with only 2,000 mH it is not worthy of the weight or the cost
                      The one for the Galaxy s3 (my phone) is only $35 and I don't backpack and often wish my phone battery was bigger. I just wish it came in another color.
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I just checked on Amazon and there are plenty of solar chargers that are higher powered and cost less than the one you're looking at. Like just about any tech toy, the reviews are somewhat mixed, but they do seem to be mostly positive. (Now laughing) But since you don't backpack, you can go full-tilt solar. Rigid panel, small AGM battery, LED lights, fans, laptops, electric dog polisher... the whole nine yards!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I just checked on Amazon and there are plenty of solar chargers that are higher powered and cost less than the one you're looking at. Like just about any tech toy, the reviews are somewhat mixed, but they do seem to be mostly positive. (Now laughing) But since you don't backpack, you can go full-tilt solar. Rigid panel, small AGM battery, LED lights, fans, laptops, electric dog polisher... the whole nine yards!
                          Ha, you laugh but I would actually LOVE to have a solar set up to put on my trucks ladder rack. Something that I can bolt on when I go camping or tailgating.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

I only laugh because the guys I camp with think I'm nuts, carrying out some of the stuff that I do. (Of course, they aren't too slow in asking me to charge their phones and other assorted gadgets.)

If you're really serious, like I mentioned in an old thread, the Renogy 100 watt Panel I have has dropped $30 since I bought it and the Sunforce Controller is also a bit cheaper since I got it. Add a small gel cell and you can be up and running for around $200, a little more if you want a bigger battery. For mobile use, there's really no need to stick with the standard MC4 connectors so, since you're an electrician, I'm sure you can come up with whatever wire and connectors you'd need to complete the system.

I'm really impressed with the panel. I've been using it to keep 3 gel cells topped off all Winter long, including bring them back up when I've used them for remote 12 volt applications. They charge almost til the sun goes down over the trees and start as soon as the sun breaks over 'em. If my car and my truck hadn't been beating me up with repair bills recently, I'd probably have a small array on my roof by now.

Comment

If I wasn't in the middle of my own truck repairs I would order that today. How durable is it? How do you pack it for transport and do you think it would be fine strapped to the top of a ladder rack driving down a washboard road?
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X