Flavoring Oatmeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavoring Oatmeal

This is part of a series of critical and unofficial surveys to determine campers' preferences for oatmeal

Please consider your answers diligently. This is heady and important stuff

In Europe, they flavor oatmeal with salt and pepper. God bless America where we have plenty of milk and honey

I put fresh fruit, dried fruit, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup. And often mix them all

My very favorite is real natural maple syrup and dried cranberries, but maple syrup is so expensive
    White sugar
    13.33%
    Brown sugar
    40.00%
    Honey
    6.67%
    Molasses
    0.00%
    Natural non-trad like Stevia or Agave
    0.00%
    Artificial sweetener like sweet&low, Nutrasweet, etc
    0.00%
    Fresh fruit
    13.33%
    Dried Fruit
    13.33%
    Salt and/or pepper
    0.00%
    Other or nothing
    13.33%
    Last edited by Mike; 04-18-2014, 08:22 AM.

Re: Flavoring Oatmeal

Maple syrup and brown sugar, and a little milk.

Comment

I usually just get the packets of instant oatmeal that is already flavored but otherwise I use sugar
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

At home i use maple syrup,
        at camp i prefer not to use stick stuff that gets all over and attracts the critters so if its not already flavored instant, i go plain

Comment

Brown or raw/turbinado sugar to start whilst cooking. Often I add a lil vanilla. It can then be followed by fresh and/or dried fruit with nuts. I use whatever kinda dairy is available: milk, heavy cream, sour cream, cream fraiche, yougurt.

Oh and maple syrup/sugar/caramel is a delish addition!
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I use strawberries and walnuts with milk. If out of strawberries I an raisins when cooking.

Comment

It might sound a little weird, but I really like a spoon of peanut butter and a squirt of honey mixed into my oatmeal.

Comment

While I can definitely enjoy oatmeal "straight"....I typically like to add raisins (so I selected dried fruit in the poll).
                Nights camping in 2014: 18
                Nights camping in 2015: 24
                Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                  I use strawberries and walnuts with milk. If out of strawberries I an raisins when cooking.
                  If you haven't noticed, dried cranberries are now cheaper than raisins. Given the choice between raisins and dried cranberries, I pick dried cranberries absolutely!

Comment

I use the Maple & Brown Sugar flavored instant. On the rare occasions I eat 'real' oatmeal, I like brown sugar, and just a touch of milk.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                      I use the Maple & Brown Sugar flavored instant. On the rare occasions I eat 'real' oatmeal, I like brown sugar, and just a touch of milk.
                      Ya know what.... If you like milk in your oatmeal, try a little butter. It is decatant.

Comment

I have never tried butter in my oatmeal. I will have to test that out sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Avery1979 View Post
                          I have never tried butter in my oatmeal. I will have to test that out sometime.
                          Butter is kind of like bacon in that it makes just about everything better....

and it is slowly killing you.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            Butter is kind of like bacon in that it makes just about everything better....

and it is slowly killing you.
                            Ahhhhhhhhh but the words sound like Roberta Flack is fine with it.....
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Mix in some ground almonds or walnuts for some fat and protein, plus a great nutty flavor.
                              Last edited by OMark; 04-22-2017, 03:59 AM.
                              "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

Working...
                              X