Oatmeal: instant or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oatmeal: instant or other?

I like the flavored instant packets for variety. 2 packs of oatmeal, dollop of real butter and a bit of honey is usually just about right.

Comment

Reviving an ancient thread here. As a kid, pretty much all we had was instant packets at home. Nowadays, I can't eat them. I do, however, mix up my own "semi-instant" mix using old-fashioned rolled oats (I spin about 1/4 of them in a blender to smooth out the texture just a bit) and keep a jar of this at work for those mornings I miss breakfast at home or forget to bring lunch.

At home, and even when camping, however, steel-cut oats are the way to go. I make 'em in a cast iron dutch oven, boil for about 5 minutes the night before and then just let 'em sit. In the morning, I heat them up and stir in a little milk or buttermilk and serve with brown sugar. Surprisingly, they've been a huge hit on my son's cub scout camping trips. Last trip I made a gallon's worth and it went like hotcakes (we had about 60 people eating). Strike that, it went better than hotcakes (there were some pancakes left over, but no oatmeal by the time the cook - me, that is - got to eat).

Comment

Nothing wrong with that ChadVK!.

Recently, the man lost his mind in Costco's and brought home about 15 lbs of frozen peaches.

Takes up a nice chunk of valuable freezer space (as does the fresh fruit that is constantly in the chiller, LOL) so I need to do something with the frozen variety.

Just learned that I can dehydrate frozen fruit in a low oven so I'm going to try it out with oatmeal. Should it be a success (why shouldn't it?) I'll add it to the frozen oatmeal before it's heated up in the morn.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Neither. Cream o Wheat here!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cunningman View Post
            Neither. Cream o Wheat here!!!
            Come over here and have a battle cuz it's alllll about HO on my end:D:

https://youtu.be/_b_R1ZTZ88k

Oh and youse Maypo peeps?- talk to the hand:he:
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

@NYCgrrl...lol. We all have different tastes, I have no interest in changing anybody's, just know what I like...and yeah, I'll eat Farina....

Comment

I enjoy cream of wheat when it's made right, but there's such a fine line between perfect and solid chunk of concrete with that stuff. Mastering that and grits are two of my life goals.

Comment

I actually prefer instant, mainly because it's so easy. I tried steel cut oats once and maybe I made them wrong, but they were too chewy for me.

Comment

Quick oatmeat is one of the best morning energy source for me during camping trips. I doesn't require too much preparation and effort during busy camping activities.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaSportsman View Post
                      This was a tough one. When car-camping, I typically take the time to make Coaches Oats (steel cut oatmeal). But for backpacking trips....I typically bring instant to reduce the cooking time. Either way - got to have oatmeal....love it!
                      Ditto for me!

Comment

Hey everyone! I'm new here! For oatmeal I've tried overnight oats! They're so easy! Plus the Oatmeal for OMEALS is bomb!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9153.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	81468

Comment

Working...
                        X