Oatmeal: instant or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oatmeal: instant or other?

This is part of a series of critical surveys to determine campers' preferences for oatmeal

Please consider your answers diligently. This is heady and important stuff

Ya know I kinda goofed when I set up this survey because I didn't have options for mixing. I mix steel cut oats, old fashioned rolled oats, and wheat germ. I hope it really IS good for my heart.

I eat oatmeal every day whether I am camping or at home or traveling even on business travel
    Steel Cut Oats
    13.33%
    Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
    10.00%
    Quick Oats
    10.00%
    Instant Oatmeal
    46.67%
    I NEVER eat oatmeal
    20.00%
    Last edited by Mike; 04-18-2014, 06:14 AM.

Re: Oatmeal: instant or other?

instant oats out in the field for me,
    reg oats take longer and need to be stirred to prevent sticking,
    with camp fire harder to control cooking oats for longer period of time,
    and means more soaking/cleaning the pot afterwards

Comment

I am not a big oatmeal kinda guy, but for sure if we are talking about camping, then yes 100% instant Quaker maple and brown sugar. I occasionally have oatmeal at home or when oot n' aboot and in most cases it's instant then as well. We have on one or two occasions gotten bulk rolled oats and granola from HyVee and made home oatmeal. Nothing I'd care to do on any kind of regular basis.

Comment

Mike,

This is a subject that I take seriously. I don't eat oatmeal every day how ever I do eat it allot. And I only eat old fashioned rolled oats. besides the steel cut all the others lack texture and mouth feel. I can even tell when the processed oats have been used in my favorite cookie.

I have never been a fan of steel cut oats but I may try mixing them as you do that's a great idea.

Don't even get me started on the gluten free hysteria.

Comment

Steel cut cooked at home then frozen in portions to be heated up on site. Never touches my mouth due to an unfortunate winter of being deadly poor as a child and eating oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Shudder. For the record my mother claims this nevah happened but since 2 outta 3 of her kiddos disagree, the majority are chalking it up to senility. Anywho I make it for my DGD and the man and generally it makes them happy.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Old fashion oats only. Instant is to mushy, and to sweet. I use less water when cooking so it stays a little chewey. If i do want a faster cooking oatmeal I just give it a quick spin in the blender.

Comment

Can't stand oatmeal.

I had a couple terrible experiences with oatmeal as a child and to this day the sight of it makes me gag. Can't stand it in cookies either and don't get me started on raisins.

Comment

While I prefer grits, we take instant oatmeal camping, but generally have steel cut at home.

Comment

This was a tough one. When car-camping, I typically take the time to make Coaches Oats (steel cut oatmeal). But for backpacking trips....I typically bring instant to reduce the cooking time. Either way - got to have oatmeal....love it!
                  Nights camping in 2014: 18
                  Nights camping in 2015: 24
                  Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    Steel cut cooked at home then frozen in portions to be heated up on site. Never touches my mouth due to an unfortunate winter of being deadly poor as a child and eating oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Shudder. For the record my mother claims this nevah happened but since 2 outta 3 of her kiddos disagree, the majority are chalking it up to senility. Anywho I make it for my DGD and the man and generally it makes them happy.

Fascinating. Frozen oatmeal. That is a first for me and certainly the ultimate in "instant" oatmeal

We fell on hard times for awhile and had to feed my family beans with very little meat for a stretch. What protein we did have was mostly hot dogs. Everybody understood, though and nobody complained, but i knew they got tired of it. I just didnt know what other low cost alternatives there were. Now, it is the source of many jokes and stories at Christmas time

I have a friend who's farm mother fed him only pancakes breakfast, lunch and dinner for most of his life. She even packed pancakes in his school lunch. I learned about it when I served pancakes to him on a group event. He went ballistic and his wife had to calm him down. The memory left him bitter

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                      Can't stand oatmeal.

I had a couple terrible experiences with oatmeal as a child and to this day the sight of it makes me gag. Can't stand it in cookies either and don't get me started on raisins.
                      Isn't strange the way food phobias start? DGD ate raisins as snacks from the age of 2. Now at almost 9 she swears she canna eat em.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Fascinating. Frozen oatmeal. That is a first for me and certainly the ultimate in "instant" oatmeal

We fell on hard times for awhile and had to feed my family beans with very little meat for a stretch. What protein we did have was mostly hot dogs. Everybody understood, though and nobody complained, but i knew they got tired of it. I just didnt know what other low cost alternatives there were. Now, it is the source of many jokes and stories at Christmas time

I have a friend who's farm mother fed him only pancakes breakfast, lunch and dinner for most of his life. She even packed pancakes in his school lunch. I learned about it when I served pancakes to him on a group event. He went ballistic and his wife had to calm him down. The memory left him bitter
                      Bean soup! My all time unknown to me at the time fav poverty meal was a bean soup my mother made. When I was older asked her for the recipe and she laughed. Apparently it was a pantry and leftover soup never to be duplicated. Been playing with dried heirloom bean varieties and came close but no cigar yet.

My kiddos "lay on the couch and tell yer therapist'' food should be rice from a summer when I served it for every stinking meal we ate. However they don't remember that which is fine by me. I have however been castigated for making ratatouille too often by one of my sons. Which sends me into a fit of giggling every time his daughter begs me to make it.

Mike, when I freeze the portioned oatmeal I haven't put any dairy into it yet. That happens when it's heated up. You can also make oatmeal bars and serve that for breakfast as well.Great for backpacking when you can't make a fire.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I eat instant oatmeal (and instant grits), the flavored variety. Granted not nearly as good as home-cooked, but it gets me by. Very quick & easy while camping. Rice MUST be 'real', no instant (gag!).
                        Growing up somewhat poor, Dad fed us kids on rice, grits and corned beef hash. I developed a vile hatred for the hash! I occasionally would vomit it up.
                        Now though, I do occasionally buy a can, as I seem to get (once in a blue moon) a hankering for it! Once I eat that can, I'm good til the next 'blue moon'! Weird!! ;-)
                        Last edited by Bigdog57; 07-17-2014, 04:01 PM.
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

When camping - old fashion oats microwaved in a covered dish. Use lots of milk, then add brown sugar and raisins. When camping - boil the milk and pour into the oatmeal, cover it, and let it sit, then add brown sugar and raisins.
                          - Laura
                          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                            When camping - old fashion oats microwaved in a covered dish. Use lots of milk, then add brown sugar and raisins. When camping - boil the milk and pour into the oatmeal, cover it, and let it sit, then add brown sugar and raisins.
                            Microwave cooking while camping: As a lifetime tent camper, I have to start thinking outside the box. To me, luxury and convenience is a two burner Coleman stove. How did I ever overlook the microwave??!

Comment

We usually do instant. Just quicker and easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X