Cots in Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cots in Tents

This what I use. Last year they were $12 for 16 pcs that are 3-1/2 inch rounds, They have worked great.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails
    I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

I considered getting this cot system but it was little too much to shell out and it takes allot of packing space. My little Honda Element is stuffed to the top when we camp.

You guys with big straight wall tents could double your occupancy if you needed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdj3NbS8kiQ

Comment

Originally posted by gr8brew View Post
        I considered getting this cot system but it was little too much to shell out and it takes allot of packing space. My little Honda Element is stuffed to the top when we camp.

You guys with big straight wall tents could double your occupancy if you needed to.

I've seen that system at cabela's and it looks like a great space saver but haven't the need right now.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by gr8brew View Post

I have that cot system. I purchased mine at Cabela's last fall. I got the floor model for a fraction of the price as a new one and the floor model was in perfect shape. The cots work great as a space saver. It's a well built cot as well. I weigh just a tad over 200 pounds and both the top and bottom bunk support me with no problem. The cots work well on their own and they are piece of cake to set up. The cots also assemble into a couch. Not a great couch but it works. Plus, my two young kids think they are awesome. The only down side.......they are heavy when packed up.

Comment

Certain elements will swear you'll die of hypothermia if you dare to sleep in that cot tent in 60 degree weather....... ;-)
            Add a (gasp!!) air mattress and you'll be a solid frozen campersickle by morning.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
              Certain elements will swear you'll die of hypothermia if you dare to sleep in that cot tent in 60 degree weather....... ;-)
              Add a (gasp!!) air mattress and you'll be a solid frozen campersickle by morning.
              No one ever said any such thing, but it's a good laugh. We all want to mess with science but get our a**es whooped when we try. BigDog is a good sport, a respected CF member, and has a lot of experience, but I suggest he's exaggerating to make a point: Cots and hollow-tube air mattresses have their place (heated enclosures) in summer-only camping. Outside of that, in 30-50 degree temps where hypothermia occurs, do you value safety and comfort? Consider the published specs of R-Value measurements for cots and hollow-tube air mattresses: 0.75, definitely thermo-negative. ThermaRest and other self-inflating sleeping pads: 5.0. and what you want...Do the math: 0.75 is 4 times more likely to be thermo-negative and require you to have a LOT more insulation in the form of extra blankets, hats, gloves, etc. to sleep comfortably. So tote a lot more stuff for a good night's sleep over a fat air mattress or cot (yep, outside of the warmest summer months), or get a comfortable sleeping pad and take a quality down sleeping bag and nothing else. BTW, I own a USGI cot right from "the sands of Iraq" that I LOVE for in-house duty and warm-weather camping...we live in SoCal, after all. I suggest you hit up Colin Fletcher or maybe a short-course in thermodynamics, or my own pay-n-play DIY camping offerings. SCIENCE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND AT THE CAMPSITE!:cool:

Motorcycle camping on my own from the NJ Pine Barrens to the SoCal foothills since 1971.
              Last edited by tplife; 04-22-2014, 12:19 AM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                Do you mean your cot has square legs?:D
                Originally posted by James. View Post
                You sir, have the coolest tent ever.

lol..right, the cot has square legs.

Comment

I have the Coleman Ridgeline 2 - looks just like the Ridgeline 3 pictured here, except it is green. No problem with legs poking holes in the tent floor.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	bd452043-081c-47ce-929b-21ebd7ce7877_400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	69864
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

For cots with standard legs, I'd think any number of small 'tin' cans - tuna, Beanie-Weenies, breath mints - could be put under them to keep from damaging the tent floor. They couldn't slip off, as they could with pieces of plywood.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I hate sleeping on the ground so I do like the idea of having a cot. It just feels better to me to have a cot.

Comment

I guess we do way too much less-than-fifty-degree-F camping, even out here in the Southwest. Cots are cool if you can't get up off the ground, but if you can, you're a certified wackjob for some of the good night's sleep you sacrificed! SEE: R-VALUES
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

There are a few sellers on ebay who provide cut pieces of tyvek. Perhaps you could you could make a liner yo go over your sleeping area. the tyvek is bright white will help to brighten up the inside as well. I purchased some to make a little ground cover in my vestibule. works great only complaint was it was full of dog hair from the sellers work area I suppose. Don't get me wrong I love dogs but I gotta say black hair on bright white tyvek gave me the willies.

Comment

Regarding the Disc O Bed bunk beds.

Last Saturday 4/26 one of the straps that are used to secure the beds broke. Actually the plastic buckle broke. Saturday evening I emailed the Disc O Bed company explaining my issue and I wanted to know what my replacement options were. 9 am Monday 4/28 I received an email from them. Soon after that I was informed that a replacement was being mailed to me with no questions asked. The replacement strap was received in the mail today 5/1. I call that exceptional customer service and would not hesitate to purchase their product!

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                              Regarding the Disc O Bed bunk beds.

Last Saturday 4/26 one of the straps that are used to secure the beds broke. Actually the plastic buckle broke. Saturday evening I emailed the Disc O Bed company explaining my issue and I wanted to know what my replacement options were. 9 am Monday 4/28 I received an email from them. Soon after that I was informed that a replacement was being mailed to me with no questions asked. The replacement strap was received in the mail today 5/1. I call that exceptional customer service and would not hesitate to purchase their product!
                              It's nice to see that they stand by their product in that way.

Comment

on the big cot we used tennis balls to cover the feet...we also have a thick area rug on the floor of the tent to add more padding...
                                for my cot which is smaller and has curved bars for legs I put a cut up piece of vinyl from an air mattress that leaked, on the floor and then set up my cot. I use the flocked top on the cot itself between the layers of blankets/sheets etc. to act as a barrier for moisture...

Comment

Working...
                                X