Arizona Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Forest

I know many people think of Arizona as either the wild west or a desert wasteland. Or a combination of the two but here are some photos my wife took while we were driving to and from our campsite

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Arizona Forest

What part of the state were the pictures taken? I used to live in the Flagstaff area. Theres a lot of nice forested country in AZ.

Comment

thanks for reminding me,
      yea, i am one of those that when thinking of arizona, not thinking green with trees,
      still checking if you photoshopped the trees

Comment

The White Mts, the Mogollon Rim country, Flagstaff, much of the Tonto Nat Forest, Apache-Sitgreaves Nat Forest, Coconino Nat Forest, the North Kaibab country (north of the Grand Canyon). I'm probably missing some areas. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
          What part of the state were the pictures taken? I used to live in the Flagstaff area. Theres a lot of nice forested country in AZ.
          This was in Tonto....South east of Payson but about 100 miles by road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33%C2...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAQ
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Shhhh! You need to keep the secret that Arizona has all the wonderful forests and lakes. We need to keep these areas to ourselves! Ha!
            Nights camping in 2014: 18
            Nights camping in 2015: 24
            Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I have camped in Grand Canyon several times, and on both sides. I love it. I have camped in Saguero (sp?) Nat'l Pk once as a stopover to California. That was grim. I was the only one in the park - not even a Ranger at the entrance. I felt like I was on the immigrant trail into the USA. Didn't sleep well that night.

I am anxious to camp in some of the other areas around Sonora, and another area I cannot call the name of - some falls just southwest of Grand Canyon.

Comment

Rokkisci - you are probably thinking of Havasupai Falls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	havasupai.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	70007

Comment

Yep - that's it. Hope to make it there soon.

Comment

The Young Highway is a nice drive. Also just south of the Young Highway turnoff from 188 there is a dirt road (242) has a nice spot. Also a pic of some who didn't make it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Are there public camping spots available there?

Comment

Sparky - what's the elevation out in that area near Young? Is that high enough to still enjoy in May and June....or is that better in the fall/winter/early spring?

Comment

The weather is the same as Roosevelt Lake so I like spring/winter/fall time. It is dispersed camping with only a couple of good spots, but there is not much traffic since you have to go through a gate to get to the stream. Pass the stream is another gate but that goes on private property.

Comment

It is about 3000'. Here is a vid of the road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-U0gfxJz7E Right before the the stream is a nice spot.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Working...
                              X