Coleman stove 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman stove 2

I need help now in figuring this out. The left burner on my beloved Coleman stove is acting up - It just flames up like a regular fire. I took the entire stove apart, cleaned it, checked the burner layer by layer, could see nothing wrong. It apparently is getting gas or there would be no fire. Should I order a new burner? Do these go bad even though they look just fine? Would appreciate your advice - my hands have had it - all cracked and sore. NOT taking it apart again with out knowing what to trouble shoot. Thanx n.:confused:

Re: Coleman stove 2

It's been a long time since I messed with a Coleman stove, and I imagine there are many different models that have come out over the years, each with their own little peculiarities. I know generators get clogged and do weird things, so that would be my first guess. Even if that's not the culprit, maybe taking apart the good burner to see how that's put together and comparing it to the one that isn't working right will tell you what's out of place. If you've already done that, just ignore this(?) :p

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
      I need help now in figuring this out. The left burner on my beloved Coleman stove is acting up - It just flames up like a regular fire. I took the entire stove apart, cleaned it, checked the burner layer by layer, could see nothing wrong. It apparently is getting gas or there would be no fire. Should I order a new burner? Do these go bad even though they look just fine? Would appreciate your advice - my hands have had it - all cracked and sore. NOT taking it apart again with out knowing what to trouble shoot. Thanx n.:confused:
      The left burner is the secondary and smaller BTU burner should memory serve me correctly......have you checked the manifold to ensure it's properly connected to the generator and cleaned the length of the pipe? Pipe cleaners and artist's paint brushes are you friend for this job. I've also been known to use canned air w/ the straw attached to the nozzle when flummoxed BUT be sure to give a long rest period before igniting period to ensure no chemical mix.

Check out this link for common Coleman probs;

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/re_stove_a.php

HTH

OH and I'm assuming you are talking about a white gas Coleman..........
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

You might be starving the left burner. Open up the main valve on the tank nearly wide open, then trottle back the left side key valve to get the right amount of gas to the left burner. right burner always burns stronger than left.

you can also try priming the second burner, but that is risky with a lit right burner and not for the feignt of heart.

Comment

This sounds closest to the problem you are describing:

Stove catches fire in the burner assembly

What it is Not Working Properly:
          Fuel vapor that shoots out the end of the generator is mixed with a free supply of air. The mixing is done in the the "U" shaped part of the stove that the generator tip fits into. This part, called the manifold, is hollow and there is an air inlet at the bottom. Fuel should flow freely around the "U" and into the burners so that they can burn properly.
          Your problem is that something is inside the manifold and it is catching the fuel on the way by. It collects and pretty soon enough will be there to ignite. Now, this "something" is 99 times out of a hundred spider webs. Just as dew will collect on a web overnight, fuel will collect too. It collects and drops to the bottom of the manifold. After a bit, "whoosh!" you have a big fire where you didn't expect it!
          Immediately shut off the valve and let the fire go out. You need to remove the manifold and burners to clean them so please refer to our rebuild instructions. Or, if you have an air compressor handy, remove the burner screws, caps, fillers and bowls. Insert your air nozzle into the hole intended for the generator and shoot! Careful of all the dirt coming out of the burner boxes... Reassemble and all should be well again with no "extra" flames.
          Errrr since yer already in for a penny you want that I ship my Coleman to ya fer extra practice? No no don't thank me...it's the least I can do......
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

This is a propane stove. I took the entire stove apart - and had to buy a pricey gizmo to get the nuts off where the burner knobs are. Cleaned the entire stove - and it needed it. The part I need, I think is called a knob assembly. It looks to be brass and looks great but the right burner knob is hard to turn and the left one I suspect is not letting enough gas thru. I am searching for the part but several sites basically say it is obsolete. I guess I need to buy a new stove. I did so like the electronic ignition. Oh well. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
              I am searching for the part but several sites basically say it is obsolete. I guess I need to buy a new stove.
              If you really like the stove, I wouldn't give it up just yet. Check on eBay... Hit craigslist in areas around you, looking to buy that same model. Somebody, somewhere probably has one that either works or that you could use for parts.

Comment

figuring this out. The left burner on my beloved Coleman stove is acting up - It just flames up like a regular fire. I took the entire stove apart, cleaned it, checked the burner layer by layer, could see nothing wrong. It apparently is getting gas or there would be no fire. Should I order a new burner? Do these go bad even though they look just fine? Would appreciate your advice - my hands

http://www.vceexams.com/
                We are the ExamCollection 117-101 certkiller toefl and IFPUG pass guarantee. Download University of Pennsylvania gmat and examsheets Cecil College real exam of Saint Vincent College

Comment

The first thing I do when I have trouble with a Coleman stove or lantern is to add about 1 ounce of Sea Foam engine treatment to the fuel tank and burn off half a tank of fuel or so.. That often takes care of a lot of problems.

If Sea Foam doesn't do it, YouTube has some excellent instructions videos on how to clean and repair Coleman stoves.

where I live, used Coleman Stove sell for under $30, so it is not worth buying new parts. In fact, last week I bought two used Coleman stoves for $15.00 ($7.50 each). You can replace the whole stove for less than the cost of parts. The most typical problem is a dried up or damaged leather pump cup.
                  Last edited by Mike; 07-05-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

+2 for Sea Foam. Along with Marvel Mystery Oil, these are products that deliver what the others just promise...results!
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I could very well be wrong - it's been years since I had a Coleman two burner apart and it could have been any one of the dozen or so stoves I've had over the years - but I seem to remember a small cap-like thing somewhere on the end of an orifice that's supposed to (I assume) atomize the fuel as it goes into the burner. If it's not there, you get fuel dumped into the burner and one huge flame. Just another thing to look at, I guess...

Comment

Working...
                      X