New Tent Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tent Help

Hey everybody this is first post and I was hoping to get some opinions on a couple of tents I have looking to upgrade to. I was hoping someone had experience with them and could offer some advice or comparable options to look into.

I have been looking at either the Eureka Midori 2 or the Kelty Grand Mesa 2. Both fit almost all the qualifications I was looking for: freestanding, under 5 pounds, under $150, and have room for me (6' and I like room to move) and my pack inside. Both of these are carried by a local retailer but are never in stock so I can't put my hands on and check them out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Re: New Tent Help

Are you needing a two-person or one-person tent?
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Those two tents are so close in specs, I think comes down to three things that I'd have to figure in to make the decision. In order of importance to me:

1. Side or front entrance - When camping alone, I prefer side entrance for ease of entry/exit and the (almost always) larger vestibule - Advantage Eureka
      2. Amount of mesh vs. solid panels - I prefer less mesh because I usually camp in cooler weather - Advantage Kelty
      3. Color - I prefer subdued colors, closer to earth tones - Advantage Kelty

But, with either tent, the part that would turn me off on both is the tapered footprint. I don't know how much gear you'll keep inside, but I'm also six-feet tall and have found the taper a tiny bit confining.

Comment

The other question I would ask is "why freestanding"? There is a weight penalty attached to that...if you are camping on hard/rocky ground there are techniques you can use which would ameliorate the freestanding requirement.

Comment

Hey zesty ninja. Don't have much to add to the tent discussion, just wanted to say hey to a fellow Coloradoan. I am up in Longmont, BTW.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks for the responses everybody.

I ended up getting the Kelty and will be putting it through it's first real test this weekend. So far I have been extremely pleased with the packed size and weight and it seems it will work out well. This is only after setting up in the yard for a while so we'll see after a field test. I needed a two person tent so I can live a little more comfortably while at camp. This one weighs about a pound more than the 1 person tent I had been using but I knew I would sacrifice a little bit of weight for more room. I have tried to shave some ounces out of pack in other gear to make up for this. I also wanted free-standing because I am usually on rockier ground and don't have a lot of experience with non-freestanding tents.

Comment

@zestyninja
              Just curious how your selection did for you. I am currently looking for a two person tent. Do any advice would help.

Comment

I like Kelty - the solo tent I have stood up to a hurricane. 3 lbs is heavy for a solo tent, but not so much for a bomb shelter....

Comment

I have the Lynx 2 by Alps Mountaineering and it's been a great 2 person tent. Enough space to sleep comfortable and keep gear in the tent. It does weigh roughly 5 pounds but I don't go on really long hikes.

Comment

Working...
                  X