Alaskan Hiway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaskan Hiway?

I've never been up there but I really considering it as soon as I retire. Is it paved at least to Ketchikan? Thanks

Re: Alaskan Hiway?

The fabled Alaska Hwy isn't as wild and wooly as many believe. The times I've been on it in the late 80's/early 90's, there were all manner of ordinary passenger cars and sports cars on it coming and going from Ak.

I haven't been to Ketchikan, but the entire AK Hwy was paved in the late 80's/early 90's, with some pavement ground up and gravelly in the last couple hundred miles of the Yukon. The frost heaves had damaged the pavement, it was simpler then to grind it up than to repair it.

There's a book/magazine you need if even interested in driving to Ak. It's called The Milepost. It has an extremely detailed log of every route through Canada to Ak, and in Alaska, even down to every pullout on the way, with descriptions of services in every town. It's updated every year. Very interesting reading, even if you don't go.

Comment

Re: Alaskan Hiway?

There are no roads to Ketchikan. Only local roads. Ya gotta take a boat or plane.
      Nights camping in 2013-----12
      Nights camping in 2014----- 4
      Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Working...
      X