Alto Condo Safari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alto Condo Safari

This manufacturer has caught my fancy and I'm seriously considering a purchase for a cross country trip. I'd appreciate any feedback fellow posters have on their line. They currently have only 3 models in the modified tear drop line and that's where my interest lies.

TIA!

Here are the 3 models I'm interested in:

1743 (fixed roof model. Shower and fixed toilet.. the door of which goes up to the ceiling )

http://www.safaricondo.com/alto1743/indexeng.php

1713 (retractable roof w/ fixed toilet cabinet; door doesn't go to ceiling)
    http://safaricondo.com/alto1713/indexeng.php

1723(retractable roof. Fixed toilet and shower cabinet; door doesn't go to ceiling)

http://safaricondo.com/alto1723/indexeng.php

Here's the retractable roof in action:

http://youtu.be/mnI-nsSzBoA
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM. Reason: ADDED MORE INFO
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Alto Condo Safari

Well I've a telephone conference with the sales rep this week and have pretty much narrowed my choices down to either the 1713 or 1723. The retractable roof has enchanted me with it's ability to enhance the night sky and then of course there is the practicalities of aerodynamics and fitting in a standard garage.
    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

It looks very cool! Do you have a dealer near you, or do you have to go pick it up somewhere?
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
        It looks very cool! Do you have a dealer near you, or do you have to go pick it up somewhere?
        We are dealing directly with the factory which is in Quebec so we'll tour the factory, eat some creton, drink a lil cider, and make a final decision on the style...the 2 w/ retractable roofs seem so similar, it'll prolly take that visit to decide on a specific model. Maybe the manufacturer can give me some info on resale at the same time. I suspect we'll sell it once the trip is over. Trying to figure out how to store it is getting problematic even though it hasn't a high roof.
        2017:

Comment

Wow. Those are cool. Being 6'3" limits what I can do with a lot of things. (I dont actually fit on a regular bed much less a camper bed) so things like a retractable roof teardrop makes me smile.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

nice trailer,
            but wow on the price,
            you plan on using it for 1 trip?
            personally think there are better options out there,

Comment

Wellllll the price......firstly I want to keep my options open on how long we'll keep it. It will be expensive to store a TT here and unless I find a reasonably priced storage spot..no matter what I pay for a TT....I might not be inclined to store it for another year. Secondly, I've sold my business, am in the process of selling my current residence and will be hit with a massive income tax bill next year. There are certain actions I can take to lower that bill and buying an RV and car will help. Should the new purchases make the man extra special happy ..let's just keep the other reasons a secret and and say.."but. I. only. have. eyes. for. UUUUUUUEewewewww ....". Finally, these units seem to keep their resale price better than some other less expensive upfront TTs.

Still..nothing is written in stone yet. Won't be going to the factory before September. I'm open to suggestions for a TT with the following qualifications:

low weight
              bthrm and kitchen space(it would be a plus if the kitchen was basically outdoors)
              sleeps 2 adults and 2 children
              fits in an average garage door opening

2017:

Comment

If you want to sell it, I'll buy it. Private message me.

Comment

i keep reading sold in the USA,where,im i missing somthing? does anyone know what the smaller ones go for?

Comment

Originally posted by JKUCAMPER View Post
                    i keep reading sold in the USA,where,im i missing somthing? does anyone know what the smaller ones go for?
                    You buy the American model directly from the factory or get a used one by roaming around the 'net. Every once in a while one pops up.

Prices start about 28K for a new one. I will say I can get more space for the same money but this company's TT seems to be weally weally well made.
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 11-04-2014, 02:41 PM.
                    2017:

Comment

I like them a lot. I really like the windows on the retractable roof - but the practical in me says "the motor will break on the first outing and you'll never get it working right again". I also wonder about the potential for leaking along the window line - it could be difficult to fix.

I'm not fond of the non-retractable roof version - the windows are so low, it seems awkward.

Of the two retractable models, I'd choose the one with the indoor shower. It opens the bathroom up slightly. The other model, the bathroom will be extremely claustrophobic. The shelves look nice, but I'm not sure how practical they'll be. With the wet shower, you can hose off the Princess as needed.

The other thing I wonder about is how comfortable will it be to lounge - the couches have the curved roofline on one end, so you'd have to sit with your back against the counter/bathroom. That seems awkward to me - I like being able to lean my back against the outside wall and look into the RV.

What is the actual trailer need? Do you need a hard-sided option? Do you need a bathroom? Are you just looking to move up from the tent camping?

I saw this one on RV.net: http://www.timeout-trailers.com/timeoutcampers.html

It's nice in that it is a tent - but your bed is off the ground. It's small enough to be towed with a motorcycle or electric car. It's got a lot of space in the actual tent and you can add the screenroom, etc. Since you already have camping gear, you continue using that for the outdoor kitchen, etc. It will store most anywhere. It has lots of optional stuff that can be added on (like the screenroom).

Then there is the Riverside RV: http://www.riversidervs.net/RETRO-MODEL-150.html

This is more of a standard TT. The 150/175/177 models are 8'6" tall. The 155XL is 7'9" tall, and the 155 is 7'1" tall. So they might work for a standard garage.

Then there is the livinlite: http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-floorplans.php

They are taller at 9'6", but have lots of floorplans. They do have a bunkhouse model and hybrid versions.

There is also the Escape: http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/th...#trailer-tabs4

At 8'2", it's between the Riverside and LivinLite models. The 17ft offer the big bed/dinette, small bed/dinette with a bathroom. The 15ft offers either the two beds OR one bed with bathroom.

Then there is the Scamp and Casita trailers. They are very popular and seem to keep their value.

No, I haven't done any looking into small lightweight trailers.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        I like them a lot. I really like the windows on the retractable roof - but the practical in me says "the motor will break on the first outing and you'll never get it working right again". I also wonder about the potential for leaking along the window line - it could be difficult to fix.

I, too, worried about the retractable window's mechanics so I did some research on it. It seems not to be a concern for those who have owned it for 4 years or more; same for roof line water filtration. The water leaking problems I've noted had to do with the kitchen faucet not having proper clearance when the sink lid was in place(it turned the faucet on!) and condensation during weather change. Subsequently, the factory changed the faucet's design and the owner w/ the condensation problems upgraded to a furnace instead of the standard heat pump.

I'm not fond of the non-retractable roof version - the windows are so low, it seems awkward.

I agree w/ ya and the fixed roof model is no longer under consideration. It gives you more space but you lose the "sense of space" that the retractable roof models give as well as increased aerodynamics.

Of the two retractable models, I'd choose the one with the indoor shower. It opens the bathroom up slightly. The other model, the bathroom will be extremely claustrophobic. The shelves look nice, but I'm not sure how practical they'll be. With the wet shower, you can hose off the Princess as needed.
                        There it is in a nutshell-indoor shower or no. Both units have outdoor showers so it just becomes how practical the interior one is. I suspect no decision will be made until we get to the factory, LOL. Right now I'm veering towards the shower less version since I suspect we'll be happy using campground facilities (and their mirrors and bthrm sinks and counter space for toiletries ) on that level. Always worked when tenting and I think it's those midnight it's raining moments that'll have us using the RV's toilet.

The other thing I wonder about is how comfortable will it be to lounge - the couches have the curved roofline on one end, so you'd have to sit with your back against the counter/bathroom. That seems awkward to me - I like being able to lean my back against the outside wall and look into the RV.
                        I'm pretty sure I can get around the curved glass by using bolster pillows or similar. Would certainly make the man happy; he's a pillow fanatic and needs a minimum of 3 pillows to tent camp. At home he uses 5!
                        What is the actual trailer need? Do you need a hard-sided option? Do you need a bathroom? Are you just looking to move up from the tent camping?
                        We want to use the trailer much the same way as a tent but with hard sides, built in heat and A/C when needed. He WANTSSSSSSS a toilet a lot. Oh and he hates setting up the tents. This is his toy but he knows that Ms. Practicality is hovering ready to say "I don't think so". I was surprised to learn he is not in the least wanting a class A motor home or as we call 'em "mystery bus. Said it would be nerve racking to drive on a regular basis.

I saw this one on RV.net: http://www.timeout-trailers.com/timeoutcampers.html

It's nice in that it is a tent - but your bed is off the ground. It's small enough to be towed with a motorcycle or electric car. It's got a lot of space in the actual tent and you can add the screenroom, etc. Since you already have camping gear, you continue using that for the outdoor kitchen, etc. It will store most anywhere. It has lots of optional stuff that can be added on (like the screenroom).

Then there is the Riverside RV: http://www.riversidervs.net/RETRO-MODEL-150.html

This is more of a standard TT. The 150/175/177 models are 8'6" tall. The 155XL is 7'9" tall, and the 155 is 7'1" tall. So they might work for a standard garage.

Then there is the livinlite: http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-floorplans.php

They are taller at 9'6", but have lots of floorplans. They do have a bunkhouse model and hybrid versions.

There is also the Escape: http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/th...#trailer-tabs4

At 8'2", it's between the Riverside and LivinLite models. The 17ft offer the big bed/dinette, small bed/dinette with a bathroom. The 15ft offers either the two beds OR one bed with bathroom.

Then there is the Scamp and Casita trailers. They are very popular and seem to keep their value.

No, I haven't done any looking into small lightweight trailers.
                        Hehehehe..why no you haven't. The Scamp and Casita had me chomping at the bit when I first viewed them but the fact that they are manufactured on the West coast made the logistics of getting one too difficult. On the other hand Quebec is a hop and skip away.
                        Going to take a good look at the other links you provided.
                        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 11-07-2014, 01:50 AM.
                        2017:

Comment

Condensation is a minor issue. Making sure you have ventilation when heating inside the trailer will prevent it.

With the bathrooms, I suspect the amount of leg room will be the main concern. In the photos, it looks like the shower-less version has slightly less room in the bathroom compartment (using it at the back for the shelving instead). If they are indeed the same, then it'd be a wash (no pun intended). Being able to close the bathroom door without hitting your knees when you sit is a good thing.

Using the campground facilities for washing, toothbrushing, etc. works well - I find the bathroom sink to be the easiest item to give up in an RV.

Pillows would work to make the curved wall more comfortable, but you'll lose leg room at the same time. I like to lounge while I read with my legs stretched out on the couch and my back leaning against the wall or couch arm - I'm not sure you would be able to do that.

For a few months, I wondered if I was going to have to give up on my clipper, so I started looking into small trailers that I could easily tow with my SUV but would be big enough for me, 2 large dogs and the bird. I really wanted to keep it under 15ft and still have a bathroom (now that I've had a working bathroom in my RV, I'm not giving it up). I needed a double bed (for the dogs and me), a countertop or table to hold the bird's cage, while still having table space for eating, etc. That's just about impossible to find. Thank goodness the clipper decided he wanted to live!! It has really been the best fit for us.
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The Condos look nice, but my biggest concern would be ceiling height. Just about all of the smaller conventional trailers I've seen don't accommodate people 6 feet tall or more. The Condo site seems to list all the dimensions BUT the ceiling height.

As far as the Casita trailers go, they're definitely out for me - their ceilings are only 5' 11". I even sent them an email to tell them they're losing out on a lot of potential customers because of it. Not surprisingly, I never got a response.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              The Condos look nice, but my biggest concern would be ceiling height. Just about all of the smaller conventional trailers I've seen don't accommodate people 6 feet tall or more. The Condo site seems to list all the dimensions BUT the ceiling height.

As far as the Casita trailers go, they're definitely out for me - their ceilings are only 5' 11". I even sent them an email to tell them they're losing out on a lot of potential customers because of it. Not surprisingly, I never got a response.
                              http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes

You can find the full specs at the bottom of the page on the left hand side. It's boxed and says "Consult the specs >". The height of the retractable roof models is 5'4" closed and 6"10" when opened. The fixed roof height is 6'2". I like the way the specs are written; allows you to compare features on all 3 models. The company is also amenable to certain custom work. I need more freezer space as opposed to fridge so we're discussing that now.

I'm a shorty and so is the man so we only need to be sure our heads don't hit the doorway when stepping out.

toedtoes- I just re-read the description and it says the following: "Ultra light sandwich construction panels integrated in the bed cushions". I'm going to call them and ask what that means. I'm interpreting it as meaning the pillows won't slide readily no matter what position they are in and they are firmer than regular pillows. I still haven't figured out what to do with the bird. Take him with us in a smaller cage (he's gotten used to his bird "condo") or leave him in NYC with my mother who he originally lived with. Prolly the later but time will tell.
                              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 11-07-2014, 05:13 AM.
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X