my truck camper project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my truck camper project

new member with a slow budget build camper.

-98 ram 1500 v8 auto 8 ft bed with tranny problems....$500
    -parts to repair the tranny....$200
    -2-8d batteries....free
    -2- 20 watt solar panels with regulators....free
    -battery clamps ....$15
    -jumper cables $15
    -1 onboard Charles charger....free
    -1 homier distribitors 2k watt inverter.... $50
    -used 95 Honda civic radiator fan $10
    -used hd extension cord .....$10
    -used leer topper....$200
    -supplies to build the beds....$100

total spent sofar is $1100 for everything pictured

not a bad start.
    2 average size adults can easily fit in both beds.the front bed is fixed into place,the side bed folds down,this allows you still haul things in the bed of the truck.
    my goal for this truck is to use it as my astronomy camper,so I had to build around a 5.5 ft long telescope 14 inches round (aperture ad12 dob)

the 2 solar panels aren't installed just yet,they will go on the roof soon.
    the civic fan moves a lot of air....but its a bit noisy.
    right now im letting the fan run down the batteries...so I know the amount of runtime to expect without solar power.

I purchased the leer topper used for $200 which included the 2 bed mats and interior light.its a solid fiberglass high topper.
    downside is no keys and gas struts don't hold the glass up.
    but couldn't beat the price.the previous owner wanted $900 for it.....6 mths after no sale....I got it for $200.
    its nothing fancy....still slowly being built,and gathering budget parts.
    next add on is atleast a 10 gal water supply with pump and outdoor shower.
    I have a 28 gallon aluminium tank that fits perfectly under he front bed....I may use that.

Re: my truck camper project

couldn't wait....used the camper last night.
    spent another $100 last night to buy the stove,cookware,7 gal water tank...ect.$1200 spent sofar.
    my 11 year old begged to use it,so we did.i let her cook 2 black angus mini steaks,pork n beans,2 big cans of cambells chunky soup.
    played around the fire,cleaned the dishes ...the we watched planes...lol.
    we slept comfortably

I still have to build a vented cover for the battery box,ive recently bought a rug for the floor,2 wter jugs and a small ss sink.and a smaller fan from a 2000 Honda cbr 600.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

v8 auto 8 ft bed with tranny problems....$500
            -2-8d batteries....free
            -battery clamps ....$15
            -jumper cables $15

_____
            aliraza
            We are the ExamCollection 117-101 certkiller toefl and IFPUG pass guarantee. Download University of Pennsylvania gmat and examsheets Cecil College real exam of Saint Vincent College

Comment

v8 auto 8 ft bed with tranny problems....$500
              -2-8d batteries....free
              -battery clamps ....$15
              -jumper cables $15
              -1 onboard Charles charge

http://www.vceexams.com/
              We are the ExamCollection 117-101 certkiller toefl and IFPUG pass guarantee. Download University of Pennsylvania gmat and examsheets Cecil College real exam of Saint Vincent College

Comment

alid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

http://www.vceexams.com/

Comment

That's a hotel, son. Where do you fit the scope? How far do you have to travel to get away from the lights?
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Looks like a workable plan. Pretty roomy actually. I camp in a teardrop trailer. The whole thing is 5X9 and it works. You just learn to only take what you will use. While camping in Yellowstone an elderly couple camped next to me in a Toyota Prius. Not tent, they slept inside, somehow.

Comment

Nice project. I spent quite a bit of time truck camping with less comforts. Have you got the water systems all up and running? Give us an update on how its coming.

If you havent been there, Expedition Portal forum has quite a lot of vehicle mods for camping. In the trailers and the vehicle threads are full of good ideas with pictures. Slide out kitchens, showers, storage. Some go store bought for much of it, many are home built style with minimal store bought hardware and gadgets.

Comment

I like the idea, although if your batteries aren't AGM, they should not be inside the enclosure - that's why lead-acid batteries are always mounted OUTSIDE of the RV. Lead acid batteries degas colorless poisonous flammable gas. AGM batteries are rated safe for use inside enclosures, we have one and although more expensive, they pay for themselves over time vs. other battery types. Your setup is not safe unless those are AGM batteries.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I would also recommend upgrading your solar panels at some point. A 2,000 watt inverter will draw quite a bit of juice even when it's sitting idle and the panels you have now aren't going to be able to keep up with the demand when you are using power. The best bang for the buck panels I've seen are from Renogy, sold on Amazon. $150 bucks gets you a 100-watt panel that puts out around 5 amps in full sun. That's with a $30 PWM controller, more with a more expensive MPPT controller.

Comment

That is a nice setup. Thanks for sharing.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                            X