DIY Super Mondo Down Sleeping bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Super Mondo Down Sleeping bag

I am in the market for a down sleeping bag for temps 0 degrees F or lower.

A really good down sleeping bag can cost nearly $500. Yes, you will quickly forget about the cost when you are faced with brutal cold, but I might go hard-core winter camping four times per year at the most.

SOoooo.... I start thinking. WHAT IF, instead of buying a new and expensive down sleeping bag that some marketing guy SAYS will keep me warm below zero, why not MAKE a SUPER MONDO DOWN SLEEPING BAG for half the cost or less.

Here is what I am thinking. On Ebay or Craigslist, you can find some primo old down sleeping bags. You can pick them up for $50.00 or less.

What if you picked up two old down sleeping bags, wash them, dry them, then transfer the down from one of the bags into the interior baffles of the other sleeping bag? Just split the long seem on the bags and transfer the down fill from one bag to the other.

Has anybody here tried this?

Re: DIY Super Mondo Down Sleeping bag

I would imagine that stuffing extra down into a bag not designed for it wouldn't give you the loft you're looking for. The down would be compressed and not trap air like you want.

Comment

For that matter, if you are just experimenting, why not just get two old quilted down comforters. Fold them longitudinally in the middle and have a seamstress sew a heavy zipper in each. Nest one inside of the other and index the squares off center with Velcro to keep this positioning to keep the thin sewn squares from lining up together and causing cold spots. Use king size comforters if you like big sleeping bags as I do. You can find these pretty cheap on sale at ____________ and you won't have to worry about mold or critters. I got one for Christmas from the wife. Only problem: it is white, but man, is it warm!

Comment

I don't think it would have the results you are looking for. It reminds me of people who think if they have two of the same stereo speakers it will be twice as loud.

Mike is weight a major concern for you? If are going to a fishing or hunting camp and not backpacking check out the Military Sleep System. Great military surplus item.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261...ing-bag-system

I own one, never really pushed it below low 20s outdoor temp, many people swear by them, if you are tall 6'4"+ they make an extra long that is harder to come by. :cool:
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, McGuyver and Moss.

Moss: Yes, the main reason I am going with down instead of synthetic is weight and volume. I have synthetics now that do the trick, but it is so volumous that it takes up huge space on my sled. I have heard of the military sleep system, but did not have the link. Yes, I have heard people swear by them too. Thanks for the link. For the first time, I could get specs, pricing, and a better understanding. The weight of the miitary system is ten pounds. Weight of a good down SINGLE sleeping bag is about 3 lbs. So, while the military bags do weight seven lbs more, that isn't as much of a concern as bulk. This is a multi-bag system which I use now and which I recommend. I notice that the SIZE of the military bag is MUCH bigger and roomier inside than standard mummy bags - 80" long and 31" wide. That would be good for me. I am tall and have broad shoulders. This military system is very tempting, but it does not solve my problem of bulk and it is heavy. If I were car camping and neededy a cold weather system, I would certainly give this a try!

Comment

Working...
          X