No announcement yet.

Camping at the Grand Canyon(South Rim)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping at the Grand Canyon(South Rim)

Howdy,

Last year we finally made the pilgrimage to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park. And since I can no longer wait to explain what options await a camper or a whole family I've got to do it now while the fire is hot. So, you say to yourself:"Man, that vegasdesertfox camps everywhere!" Well, yes I do, because once the initial investment is over with for a tent, a stove, water storage and the like there are thousands of places to camp from coast to coast and even more great outdoor things to see and experience. Getting out away from the stay at home vacation, camping is a very inexpensive way to see what is on the other side of the mountain. Enough said.

South Rim: Camping

Mather Campground offers year-round tent and RV camping(no hookups). The sites can accommodate up to 2 cars and 6 people. Cost is about $15-20 per night, more for the larger sites. Reservations can be made up to 5 months in advance and I strongly recommend that for April through November. From December thru March Mather Campground is on the first come first served basis. Group sites are also available.
    Reservations: 800-265-2267; Outside U.S.: 301-722-1257
    http://www.reservations.nps.gov

Desert View Campground is located at Desert View, 25 miles east of Grand Canyon Village at the end of Desert View Drive. The campground is open from mid-May(15) through mid-October(15). Sites are only available on a first come first served basis. Each site accommodates up to 2 cars and 6 people. Cost is $10 per night. This is where we stay when we camp here. Its far enough away from the main village that reminds us of driving in a mini Las Vegas or other huge city, you gotta watch out for the other guy before you can watch the scenery.

Trailer Village
    Trailer Village is an RV campground with hookups located next to Mather Campground. It accommodates RVs up to 50' in length. The Campground is open all year every year. Reservations are handled by Xantera and I highly recommend reservations(sometime the wait for a space can be as long as two years.
    Reservations: Advance: 888-297-2757, Same day:928-638-2631
    http://grandcanyonlodges.com
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Camping at the Grand Canyon(South Rim)

Thanks for this info. This is on my list of camping stops that I'm working on.

Comment

I love the Canyon. I sort of bushwhacked when I camped though, just went outside the park in the National Forest and found a nice spot off the road a bit.

Comment

Mather is my favorite if we are staying in the GCNP. As Malamute noted though, the Kaibab NF (and the Coconino NF closer to Flagstaff) both allow dispersed camping in many areas.
        Nights camping in 2014: 18
        Nights camping in 2015: 24
        Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Super informative.. Thanks. Added to the bucket list for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X