Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping, What's a good brand that will hold up a while?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping, What's a good brand that will hold up a while?

We've sold our pop up camper and are going to purchase a bunk house travel trailer in a few months. We plan to buy one that sleeps 6-8, w a slide out, so we can take more than our family of 4. I'd like to hear what brands are good, but I can get used for under 15K. We plan to buy a big one and keep it a while. I know Jayco's are good, as are Keystones. I want something that's durable and not going to break on me after a year. Suggestions please. Thanks

Re: Shopping, What's a good brand that will hold up a while?

Off the top of my head, a few to check out would be: North Trail, Wilderness, & Sundance. These all seem to be good quality trailers & are all manufactured by Heartland.

The Dutchman's may be another to check out. I saw many of these while I was out camping this summer. I didn't get the chance to look one over thoroughly, but from what I did see they looked like nice units.

Do some google-ing, find a few you like, read some reviews, & narrow down your search. Then check your area for availability & go scope them out. Good luck in your search & take care!!
    2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Thank you much. For us it will come down to price, b/c we have a tight budget, but might go up a little to get just what we want. I know roofs in used ones are a big deal. My husband and FIL are the true expert campers and know lots about campers in general. We're just excited to buy our own and not have to borrow my fil's. {He's been wonderful about letting us use his the last 3 summers and even twice this year}. We have a salesman we're working with at a local dealership that we like, so I trust him to not let us buy a pos either. I like the Jayco bunkhouses. I found a model # I plan to do some research on. Just right now I'm gathering info for our first of the year purchase. I wish I could afford a Keystone Laredo but don't have 30K to drop on a brand new one. I refuse to spend a fortune on our first camper, even though we have camping experience. One day I will though.

Comment

How wonderful that you are able to buy a nice camper!

From what I can tell, people tend to keep them for a long time, so you might as well spend a little more and get exactly what you want

Just a thought, but maybe your father in law is very happy to lend you his camper knowing that it is getting used by his family. You might not need to buy your own. Your FIL might be a little sad that you aren't using his camper. As a father, that is how I would feel

Comment

My MIL says there's no need in us buying our own b/c we can use theirs any time we want. My fil on the other hand is about to buy a brand new one, so when I said sold the pop up, I meant HIS pop up,lol. I know he wouldn't mind loaning us his new camper, but we want our own so we can go more. We know he doesn't mind loaning it to us once a year, but this year we went twice. We know if we buy our own the first of the year, we will tear out quite a bit.{after little league season is over in the spring}. We're looking forward to going camping with them and their brand new one. The one he's buying will be big enough for them, and or my family of 4, but if the 6 of us wanted to go together, there won't be enough room. He's excited for us too on our used venture and we're happy for him that he's finally buying a brand new one.

Comment

We purchased a Forest River Rockwood Roo used. It was in excellent condition. Sleeps 8, fully self contained. We're more than thrilled with it as our first travel trailer.

Comment

There is no perfect RV. People tend to trade them often. For that reason I would go used. Most people that use their RVs a lot like full timers end up with either a fifth wheel or a motor home. Bigger is not necessarily better.
              Look at any buyer's guide to compare brands. RVs tend to be cheaply made. They have the same appliances and hardware. The main difference is in the construction of the shell, insulation, and quality control. Aluminum framing and fiberglass outsides are preferred.

Among live aboard boat owners and most full time RVers there is a hard and fast rule. Six for drinks, four for dinner and two for overnight. If I had a large family I would encourage the kids to sleep in tents in good weather and save the RV for Mom and Dad. The last thing I would do is invite company to sleep with my family.

When people ask the question at the RV show- "How many people does it sleep?" That is like wearing a sign that says I am new at this.

Comment

WE have been looking at travil trailers for almost two years. We seem to come back to the same situations over and over again. With the payment per month with Insurance, and using it two days a week, every week, from may to the end of Sept. and at $ 25. a day we can stay in a very nice motel, motel, or cottage and still have money left over. Being in our sixties, retired, we are very concerned for what our health will bring. Payments for even 5 years is too long fro us, we think. Anyone else faced with this and what have you done?

Comment

Campingmama - Look at how the trailer is constructed - is it flimsy plywood, are there a mess of wires everywhere. If you plan to camp in extreme heat or cold, consider something like an Arctic Fox. We knew we would not camp in weather over 100 degrees or under 30 degrees, so an "ordinary" weekend type camper was fine for us.

I wanted something that was basically a bedroom on wheels, versus a house on wheels, so I went with a small Dutchmen. One can stand up in it, it has a sink, stove, toilet, & shower. We leave the dinette down all the time and put a memory foam mattress on it, so it always has a ready-to-sleep bed. That is all we needed, so get something that works for you, not for possible guests.

Can you turn around in the bathroom and close the door while on the commode? Can you get in and out of the trailer easily - some have two steps and some have three & sometimes the two step needs a step stool to reach that first step. Remember to check the escape route - one trailer we looked at had only small windows that neither of us could have exited if the door was blocked.

I found that looking at the floor plan was most important - some of the bigger units were tighter to walk around in and one had to jostle to pass by.

Farout -We went with new, so we got it financed - with insurance figured in, it is $200 a month. DH figures that one night stays aren't cost effective in time or gas, so we impose upon ourselves a minimum of two nights. One night stays get the Red Roof - we get a senior discount and after six stays, we get a free night.

So, why did we get it? Our own stuff, our own timetable, our own bed. I keep minimal stuff in it, instead of stuffing it with "possible" use items, so after each trip, I clear everything out, wipe it down, and have an outbuilding for storing camping items. When we camp, it takes little time to stock it back up, and I can do it at my leisure. When we camp, we back in, drop the stabilizer jacks, light the hot water tank, and carry out the outside chairs, & we are done. We are down to 30 minutes to set up and tear down. I don't have to keep an eye on my inside stuff, or worry about bedbugs or uncomfortable beds. It is insulated better than most motel rooms, so I never hear the neighbors once we retire for the night.

We use the trailer as a means to an end - our last fall trip, the trailer was a base of operations for leaf peeping, so we were only there at evening. Or, we use it as an end to our means - we often purposely stay at places that have grandkid activities and they visit us while we camp.

When not camping, I keep electric on it in the side yard with a 200watt heater, so it is a cozy retreat to work, or nap in the winter, and it is a spare bedroom for guests.

Don't discount the camaraderie and amenities of a campground. We did the Red Roof this past weekend, and I couldn't hike, kick scoot, or look at nature. I had to quickly get my stuff inside so it wouldn't disappear from the bed of the truck. I made sure to lock my door. It felt soulless after camping this year.
                  Last edited by actad; 11-12-2013, 10:29 AM.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

actad: Thanks, you gave some more food for thought we are still weighing it out. We look into the Dutchman, I know of a person on a different web site who has a ZOOM have you ever heard of those?

Comment

Farout - I think the Zoom is variation of my travel trailer. It seems they fall in the lightweight category, so lighter duty tow vehicles can pull them. I think it falls back to what are you planning to do with your trailer.

Lightweights are great for state parks & most national parks, where you pull off a paved road and into your campsite. But I would investigate if they are suitable for off road dispersed type of camping, if that is what you plan for use.
                      - Laura
                      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

We don't have a trailer, we are considering all options at this point. So far many of the trailers I have looked into are just something to get your attention. I saw one smaller self contained trailer which looked great on the net, the price was too low to believe. I called the dealer and right off the bat he said "I wouldn't consider that if I were you. It has damage and other problems". I expected that to be honest, bait and switch, is alive and well these day. Finding an 08 21' travel trailer for 4895 is very spookey. You know the old "if it sounds too good to be true" thing. I have see the Cruse clipper that looks good new, I wonder if anyone has had any experience with those?

Unless it's a real deal of the century I am not interested, yet.

Comment

I found that to be true with used travel trailers. There would be a great Craiglist ad, then when I saw it in person - no way. Another reason I bought new. Try researching when your local dealer gets new models in - ours was bought just before the new editions were expected to hit the lot.
                          - Laura

Comment

Working...
                          X