Biolite Stoves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biolite Stoves

I've actually been leaning more towards the MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove or a similar model. Need to run by REI or elsewhere and check on features of the different models. The Jetboil's or MSR equivalent $$$ seem like a great all inclusive way to cook and have your method of cooking and stove and everything together to save space and weight, but some people pointed out that then you are typically limited to heating water and making dehydrated meals. Which a lot of backpackers do for space/weight, but I like the versatility of liquid burning stoves.

Comment

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
      I've actually been leaning more towards the MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove or a similar model. Need to run by REI or elsewhere and check on features of the different models. The Jetboil's or MSR equivalent $$$ seem like a great all inclusive way to cook and have your method of cooking and stove and everything together to save space and weight, but some people pointed out that then you are typically limited to heating water and making dehydrated meals. Which a lot of backpackers do for space/weight, but I like the versatility of liquid burning stoves.
      I think the new MSR Whisperlite's have better flame control than the old Whisperlites.

Coleman DualFuel single burners are a newer version of the old Peak stoves which always had a good reputation for flame control

Comment

Well I just ordered a MSR Universal and the more I think about it the happier I am with the choice. A lot was sold with the fact that the jetboil stoves are great all in one for backpacking / boiling water and nothing else with the MSR Reactor being the jetboil on steroids and more durable... I agree with that, but it also limits your ability to do anything other than boiling water or to have more flexibility in your cooking options. I also discovered when getting the universal stove that takes white gas or the ISO that if it is very cold or high altitudes that you need to use the liquid gas to work well. With that said alone that hands down makes me want the Universal stove as an option. I think lots of options out there for whatever works for what a person wants... like the micro-pocket rocket type stoves that can fit in the palm of your hand for ultimate space and weight savings... but good luck making sure not to knock a pot over trying to cook on them.

Comment

I know this has been idle for a few months at this point but I own a biolite and the kettle. While it could be considered a novelty it does stack up against other stoves when it comes to performance, in my experience it only takes about a minute or two longer to boil the same amount of water on the boilite as it does on a propane/butane stove. It is very bulky, no getting around that. The thermocouple device nests inside of the stove, and then the stove nests inside of the kettle. I don't think it will ever replace a propane/butane stove as those can be very small, but at the end of the day it's a neat gadget and if you don't mind sacrificing some room/weight it's a cool little stove. If I'm hiking with my fiance we divvy up the gear and with two packs it's usually no problem.

Comment

Working...
          X