Electric Generators with Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Generators with Solar Panels

Has anyone here built one? I am just starting to get back into camping and this seems like a great idea. Power for lights, pumps, fans, etc. without any of the smell and noise from a gas powered generator.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Electric Generators with Solar Panels

I'd thought about it for a few years and just started using a 100-watt panel and one or two sealed lead acid batteries a few months ago. The prices on panels have finally dropped to a point where they're almost reasonable. I've been able to run LED lights, a radio (like constantly), a laptop charger, a fan and other miscellaneous items for a long weekend. The last time out, I also kept all the smart phones in my group charged. I'm trying to get out to the woods in the next week or so, so hopefully I can put up some pictures of my setup.

I'm using this panel, this controller and this battery.

Comment

I havent,
      but know plenty who do,
      great source of juice,
      lots of stores online and retail stores sell kits that are cheap and easy to set up
      a 45w kit that can be had for under $200 and can suit most, especially if your needs are just lighting and phone charging
      if you have spare deep cycle batteries, you can configure your own kit and run off the batteries,
      during Sandy i was without power for +1 month,
      i was using my deep cycle battery quite a bit, i wish i had a solar panel to re-charge it.

Comment

I did a lot of research before I bought in. I looked at countless online reviews, read everything I could from solar sites and verified what I could by talking to local people about their experiences with their panels. What I came up with is to go in for the best panel you can afford. Many of the lower cost systems are made with antiquated components, aren't assembled as well as higher end units and, maybe most importantly, aren't very efficient for their size. If you're taking your solar to the woods, whether portable or trailer mounted, you'll want something rugged so it will last.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I did a lot of research before I bought in. I looked at countless online reviews, read everything I could from solar sites and verified what I could by talking to local people about their experiences with their panels. What I came up with is to go in for the best panel you can afford. Many of the lower cost systems are made with antiquated components, aren't assembled as well as higher end units and, maybe most importantly, aren't very efficient for their size. If you're taking your solar to the woods, whether portable or trailer mounted, you'll want something rugged so it will last.
          Thanks. It looks like what you have is pretty close to what I would want. Have you ever had a situation where you ran out of power?
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            Thanks. It looks like what you have is pretty close to what I would want. Have you ever had a situation where you ran out of power?
            You're very welcome. It was great to be able to get rid of the heavy deep cycle batteries I used to take out. I haven't run out of power with the new setup but, of course, everyone's power requirements are different. Before I got the solar panel, I was stuck with the deep cycle battery because the halogen lights and other equipment drew a little more than the smaller gel cells could handle on a long weekend out. Now, using LED lights and getting 12 volt replacements for the stuff I used to run from a power inverter, my power consumption is low enough that the 5 or so amps I get from the solar panel more than keeps up with the drain. If you're worried that you might overdraw the system, you might just consider getting another gel cell. They're certainly easier to haul around compared to 70 pound deep cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              see this thread: http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...hat-do-you-use

There are a lot of great systems shown there. My (former) solar system is described in that thread.
              Former? Are you not using it any more? Why? The freezer sounded like a great idea to me. I had never thought about a freezer but if I can find one that would be the right size and portable enough I might get one.

In fact the more I think about it the more excited I get about the whole idea of this. I am an Arizona Cardinals fan and tailgate every year. Lots of bragging rights going on before the game. I would love to have, instead of an ice chest, a freezer for storing stuff. Plus, as you can imagine it gets pretty hot early in the season (often between 100 and 110) and a window AC unit would be a killer addition.

I think I have just moved this generator way up on my wish list.
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                by the way, welcome to the forum James.
                Thanks. This seems like a cool place.

Sorry to hear about your theft. I hate theives with a passio . I guess I will have to figure some security when I build mine. Especially since I plan to take it tailgating and I generally leave my stuff out when I go into the stadium.

And thanks for all the info. I looked briefly at some freezers online and quickly decided that they are not in my budget. I am not so worried about the technical things like wire size (I am an electrician but just havent worked with solar sysems)

One question I do have is battery life. How often did you use the systwm and how long did the battery last before you had to replace it? It gets hot here and as far as batteries go, heat kills.
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  Thanks. This seems like a cool place.

Sorry to hear about your theft. I hate theives with a passio . I guess I will have to figure some security when I build mine. Especially since I plan to take it tailgating and I generally leave my stuff out when I go into the stadium.

And thanks for all the info. I looked briefly at some freezers online and quickly decided that they are not in my budget. I am not so worried about the technical things like wire size (I am an electrician but just havent worked with solar sysems)

One question I do have is battery life. How often did you use the systwm and how long did the battery last before you had to replace it? It gets hot here and as far as batteries go, heat kills.
                  as an electrician,
                  once you understand how solar works, panels, inverter, battery, it is quite simple,
                  as for power consumption
                  for the engel freezer
                  its states up to 2.5amps/hr at 12v
                  this low to me, but darn good,
                  so a 250 amp battery would last 10 hrs,
                  class 27 deep cycle battery i have i think is about 575 amps
                  Model: MT45F-U1
                  Volume: 43 Qts
                  Power Consumption: Variable from 0.7-2.5 Amps (12V DC)
                  Power Source: 12V/24V DC & 110V AC

power consumption of items, a=w/v
                  a 40 watt bulb will draw .36 amps per hr on a 110v circuit,
                  on a 12v battery it will draw 3.33/amps per hour,

most deep cycle batteries generally have plenty of juice to run most items,
                  if you plan on using the batteries for multiple days, may want to up the charging rate/panels to get closer to your useage

been a while since i did this so if my calculations are off, someone please correct me

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                    as an electrician,
                    once you understand how solar works, panels, inverter, battery, it is quite simple,
                    as for power consumption
                    for the engel freezer
                    its states up to 2.5amps/hr at 12v
                    this low to me, but darn good,
                    so a 250 amp battery would last 10 hrs,
                    class 27 deep cycle battery i have i think is about 575 amps
                    Model: MT45F-U1
                    Volume: 43 Qts
                    Power Consumption: Variable from 0.7-2.5 Amps (12V DC)
                    Power Source: 12V/24V DC & 110V AC

power consumption of items, a=w/v
                    a 40 watt bulb will draw .36 amps per hr on a 110v circuit,
                    on a 12v battery it will draw 3.33/amps per hour,

most deep cycle batteries generally have plenty of juice to run most items,
                    if you plan on using the batteries for multiple days, may want to up the charging rate/panels to get closer to your useage

been a while since i did this so if my calculations are off, someone please correct me
                    I think you misplaced a decmal point in there. 2.5 amps ran for 10 hours is 25 amps...or is the heat getting to me?
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Yeah - I have to dispute some of those numbers. For one thing, you don't get a constant 12 volts as the battery drains. As the voltage drops lower and lower, electronics would stop working. Things like power inverters would be among the first to stop working as most have a lower end cutoff just under 11 volts.

The amp hours for a Group 27 is way off. I've been running electric motors on my boat for more than 20 years and getting more than an hour or two out of a battery would be a dream! Every group 27 battery I've ever seen is rated somewhere around 100 to 105 amp hours.
                      Last edited by MacGyver; 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I've built a solar generator for camping and emergency. Works great. Even powers 16" electric chainsaw. Only has a single 100 amp hour deep cycle battery. Heavy. Would be nice to have more power storage capability. Hoping large lithium cells come down in price some day.

Comment

I built a portable solar unit. Has a 40 watt panel hinged to the top for a lid. 100 amp hour deep cycle battery and 1500 watt pure sine inverter plus cigarette plug and banana jack outlets for 12 volt and all kinds of power cords and gadgets to go along that fit in a storage compartment inside. I have additional panels that can be plugged in for more power if needed. Have a total of 380 watts worth. Runs everything at camp. Chargers, lights, electric blankets, water pumps for gold mining equipment and portable campfire heated hot tub, fans, air mattress inflator, thermoelectric cooling, etc. Even a 16 inch electric chainsaw. It's heavy, over 100 lbs and not easy to lift in/out of the truck and bulky especially with the big wheels but the wheels allows for easy rolling through Florida sand. Three 100 watt panels in a wood carrying case also weighs in at about 100 lbs and takes up a lot of room in the truck. Not practical like a compact inverter generator but it works great, no gasoline, noise, or fumes and if you don't mind the inconveniences and limited nighttime power solar is the way to go.

Comment

i have a moneratorm solar generator,it is basically a miniature generator, something that I could charge up at an outlet, then go camping and have a bit of power to, say, run a netbook for a little while. Nothing over the top, just a little extra convenience.

Comment

Working...
                            X