Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wool blanket or foam pad underneath air mattress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wool blanket or foam pad underneath air mattress?

This thread has likely run its course, but thought I'd add my few cents worth. My wife and I have always used a large velvet topped (Coleman) queen size air bed and have never felt cold or uncomfortable. What we do is bring 4 sleeping bags and a comforter (plus an extra blanket if we expect colder weather). We place one sleeping bag unzipped across the top of the air bed and another underneath, we then sleep in the other two bags. If the weather is colder we add the comforter and/or extra blanket as conditions warrant. We've camped in temps as cold as 30 degrees and stayed warm.

On another occasion in Florida I was camping sole and simply placed my bag directly on top of a back packers air mattress (inflatable tubular style) and was comfortable, though it wasn't particularly cold then...night time lows were mid 60's or so.

And on an unrelated note, if anyone has ever watched the scifi series Torchwood, one of the characters (a character who has traveled through time and space with the Dr....the show is a spinoff from Dr. Who) states "No other race in the universe goes camping - Celebrate your uniqueness!"
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Closed Cell foam pad under, wool blanket on top, not a problem. Works fine in chilly temps. You have likely heard different from certain members, but this has worked well for me for years. Have NOT died of hypothermia yet. That is one of the worst myths of the camping community. But direct first hand experience tells the truth. I have awakened having to open my sleeping bag to vent out the heat, with outside temps in the low twenties.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

And on an unrelated note, if anyone has ever watched the scifi series Torchwood, one of the characters (a character who has traveled through time and space with the Dr....the show is a spinoff from Dr. Who) states "No other race in the universe goes camping - Celebrate your uniqueness!"
        LMAO, I wuvvvvvvvv "Torchwood" (and Dr. Who although still haven't warmed up to the new Doctor) and the next time I'm having a TW marathon will keep my ears perked for that line- was it Jack Harkness who said that?
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yes, it was Jack. He says it fairly early on in either the pilot or first episode of season one (forget which). For me, it always takes me a bit to warm up to the new doctor when it changes....

My mistake...I just looked it up, he says it in episode 6 of season 1 (the episode entitled Countrycide). Boy was my memory off on that one! :-) (look for it around 1:40 below...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEcnnoxA9JA
          Last edited by caheaton; 05-02-2015, 04:15 PM.
          Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Ah, Doctor Who... once I'm done with all of those episodes I'll start Torchwood... then, I'll start on Classic Who... <3
            Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
            Nights under the stars:
            2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
            2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I love Doctor Who! Torchwood is good, but Doctor Who is the best. When a new Doctor comes along, I watch the first episode and question the "rightness" of him. But by the second episode, I am a believer (that he is still the doctor even if he isn't still "almost good looking" - that was the comment made by Peri when Peter Davison turned into Colin Baker). I think my favorite though was Christopher Eccleston.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
              X