Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using alternate compressed gas fuels in lanterns and stoves. (By request)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using alternate compressed gas fuels in lanterns and stoves. (By request)

Safety notice:

Install and activate your common sense before attempting using any fuel delivery system for a lantern or stove that is not specifically indicated by your items manufacturer. Pressure and flash-points do change between fuel types and delivery methods so testing in a safe place before going into the field really should occur. Saving money and providing the means to widen your camp fuel sources do provide value but not when used without caution.

These methods have worked fine for me in my environment but your mileage may vary.

I had mentioned in another thread the ability to use adapters to provide the ability to substitute 16.4oz propane bottles for Lindel valve ISObutane bottles and CB, or as they are commonly sold as, "butane gas cartridges." To clarify these are the items I am referring to.

16.4oz propane cylinders.
    Lindal valve fuel canister.
    Butane gas cartridges.

And the Kovea adapters are what I use.

16.4oz LPG to Lindal valve adapter: PN#VA-AD-0701 - Available, but for some reason not listed on their website right now.

Butane gas cartridge to Lindal valve adapter: PN#TKA-9504 Use and operation guide.

And something that is new that I will pick up is the two way adapter, when I leave base camp with my ruck for extended travel I try not to use more than one fuel cannister at a time which is hard to do when you want to use your fuel for light and cooking, but this little tool might very well help me manage that a bit better. Time will tell and after I've tinkered with it, so will I.

Two way adapter, Lindal valve to Lindal valve: PN#KA-2105 Use and operation guide.

I've used all three fuel types and cannisters with my camp stove,my rucksack stove, and my small lantern. The only thing I would warn you about is that some cannisters work better or worse when oriented into certain positions like laying on their sides or even completely inverted. Altitude and temperature make a difference as well and the higher up you go with canisters the ISObutane Lindal valve canisters seem to perform better especially if you can invert them.

Now with all that said it would be nice if people would post their results here in this thread so that we could all know which substitutes work best with which camping stoves and lanterns.

Best wishes,
    The Wanderin' Whitlows
    Best wishes,
    The Wanderin' Whitlows

Re: Using alternate compressed gas fuels in lanterns and stoves. (By request)

I've shied away from naming retailers as I haven't seen the entire product listings of your sites registered vendors but for me, these guys have filled my needs.
    Best wishes,
    The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

and then you buy one of these propane hoses to attach the adapter to a 30 pound refillable grill tank and you are done with the small 1 pound canister.
      http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-5-...apter/19897422
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        and then you buy one of these propane hoses to attach the adapter to a 30 pound refillable grill tank and you are done with the small 1 pound canister.
        But.... you won't be hauling that 20-pound tank in your rucksack. ;-)
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I missed the link to the type of stoves WW is using. I guess it is a weight/cost/btu issue and which is more important to you. I have a stove that fits on the 16.4oz propane tank and I also have a stove that fits on the small isopro canister. I use the 16.4 on atv trips and the ultra light set up for backpacking.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Propane and butane are interchangeable fuels for these stoves, you only have to swap out the regulator.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have one of those hoses that I keep in the truck as I have a 20lb Ragasco fiberglass bottle that I bring when I have the trailer. It is nice and I intend to have a rear bumper built with a mount so I can put the bulk bottle on it for outings without the trailer. I intend to add a 30lb model of theirs once the bumper is built since the diameter is the same and a simple adjustable piece will be able to fit over the top for security.

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              Kingquad, I'm not sure if you were catching the main thrust of what WW has been saying - the big savings offered by using these adapters is to be able to stop using the expensive propane bottles and expensive isobutane gas bottles and use the 8oz butane canisters found in asian stores. These cans only cost around 50 cents each or less and put out a ton of BTU's for the money and it is generally cheaper than propane even if you purchase propane 20 lb bottles.

What WW has posted is a way to take mainstream equipment like Snow Peak, Coleman, and MSR stoves and lanterns and adapt them to use what might be the cheapest of the clean burning fuels available on the market today. Candles, wood, gasoline, kerosene, etc, might be cheaper but they aren't really clean burning like butane, isobutane, or propane.
              This is right. At the end of the day, "money talks," and if there is a way to genuinely save it in a safe way then I am all for it. Being able to use the butane gas canisters makes a huge difference for many people in cost as they don't find themselves cooking with camp stoves over 8,000 feet and the amount of oxygen in their air is high enough for butane to burn efficiently to generate the heat needed. Very few of us actually camp high up and if we do, it is for very small amounts of time so in those cases the manufactures recommended fuel types should be utilized.

I missed the link to the type of stoves WW is using. I guess it is a weight/cost/btu issue and which is more important to you. I have a stove that fits on the 16.4oz propane tank and I also have a stove that fits on the small isopro canister. I use the 16.4 on atv trips and the ultra light set up for backpacking.
              I mainly use two stoves from the same manufacturer that require gas for cooking below 8,000 feet.

Camp stove: Snow Peak "Baja Burner" Model # GS-400

Rucksack stove: Snow Peak LiteMax titanium stove, model # GST-120R

For above 8,000 feet I will use a Primus OmniFuel stove which with the above mentioned adapters will burn all of those fuels as well as pretty much any other liquid fuel type as well. If hard pressed you could add one of them to your kit and know that you can pretty much use any type of fuel that is available including fuel types that most would never consider.

I intend to add a Partner Steel propane stove to my collection but will order it custom sized so that I can utilize it with my IGT table frame and that bulk bottle will really come in handy then.
              Best wishes,
              The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

This is the one of the posts that I really had in the forums as it is really creating the sense the mind that how we can save our big amount dollars with the uses of these types of units. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Comment

Quick update. While the Kovea adapters worked very well for me, I've found that these "G Works" adapters are a bit easier to use as they don't require any tuning. I'm still saving money using canister butane when possible but we are adding a full time LPG setup to our camping gear with a new trailer that we bought and one of the above mentioned "Partner Steel" stoves in a sliding tray in the back of the truck.
                  Best wishes,
                  The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Love the avatar WW! Hope he makes it!!
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                      Love the avatar WW! Hope he makes it!!
                      I don't think that ramp's quite long enough - there's no way he'll get enough steam...
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                      X