camping novices.... again. help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping novices.... again. help?

My husband and I have hit our mid-life crisis stage and just purchased a used but immaculate 25 ft travel trailer. We haven't camped since our teen years. Kids are all grown and almost all gone (6 out of 7), and after decades of hotels, overstuffed vehicles, driving till midnight, and staying with relatives, we decided it was our turn to enjoy some quieter vacations before it's too late.
    He is busy with obtaining the stabilizer jack, side mirrors, and trying to account for all those other very necessary things. We will haul with a 2010 Ram 1500 quad cab.
    I am lost as to what we will need inside for supplies. The trailer is 4500 lbs dry and the previous owner said about 5200 loaded. Can't think of supplies that would weigh 700 lbs.
    Could you help an almost old lady out with some advice?
    Trailer is a 2003 Coachmen.

Re: camping novices.... again. help?

Wow - I have a lot to learn. Wasn't even thinking we would fill the water tank till we got where we were going.
    Very different from tent camping.
    Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Didn't even think about the shotgun - good advice.
      RV has ac & heat, full kitchen & bath. Still need space heater & buckets?
      Also, will be able to load bed of truck if needed as I'm pretty sure the Dodge has over 7,000 lb total haul.

Comment

Just for perspective, I have a 22 foot Nash TT made in Oregon. The dry weight is about 5800 pounds. The gross vehicle weight is 10,000 pounds, allowing for 4,000 pounds of weight to be carried in the trailer. I would have to carry a lot tools or other heavy stuff to get past maybe 2,500 pounds. Be careful when looking at the numbers on some trailers. The lite trailers especially are only rated to carry 1,000 pounds or sometiomes even less.

Comment

Thanks! We went out for a weekend and had no problems with weight. I guess we may need to be careful if hauling water, but while at a hook up, there was no issue. We loved the "We don't need that" philosophy in our packing lists. Took tools, first aids, and all the necessary items - but decided if we wanted to get away from the cement jungle, we had to leave the cement jungle behind.
          I think we are going to love growing old(er) this way...

Comment

Working...
          X