5th wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th wheel question

Hi everyone, new to this forum and was hoping someone could answer a question for me. We are looking at TT and 5er. The question is, we have a 2001 Silverado 2500 HD short box 4-wheel drive. I know its capable of pulling a trailer but its going to burn gas. The information I need is on the 5th wheel trailer setup that goes in the rear of the truck, I feel I have the knowledge to install one, but I was told today that it might cost up to $3300 by the dealer, and in my mind I say no way, it has something to do with the corner of the trailer hitting the cab, and I am having a hard time understanding that. Is there any technical problems I should know about a 5th wheeler hitting my cab, or was he just trying to get more money out of me. Any explanation will help, and I am set up to pull a travel trailer now with the dealer setup trailer towing package. I did notice that some 5th wheelers, the trailer hitch sticks out front, and some are more underneath. The one I am looking at, the trailer hitch sticks outward. It is a Forest River Salem 27'. The travel trailers I am looking at are 32'. I have been told that the 5th wheeler will handle smoother than a travel trailer. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Re: 5th wheel question

Short bed pickup trucks are complicated. You will have to mount a pin box that slides to give you more clearance. You also have to find 5th wheels that have the king pin extended out in front and / or clipped corners on the trailer in order to clear it. Look into the Pullrite Superglide. Its for short bed trucks and automatically slides back to the rear when you turn so you can make full turns and the pin box stays over the axles. Should be just under $1,000 for parts. Also look at the Reese Sidewinder pin box but I think the Superglide is what you're asking for.

Comment

Thank you for that advice! I had a similar question, glad I decided to look into the messages before asking question. No need reinventing the wheel!

~Sarah Luck

Comment

Smokyfire, thanks for the excellent reply. That answered my question.

Comment

Working...
        X