Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping (with lake view) in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont or New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping (with lake view) in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont or New Hampshire

I wanna camp in one of these states with a nice view of a lake. Looking more for Connecticut, but would travel to one of the other states listed in the title of this post. I would really appreciate it if someone who replies to this could also post one of their own photo(s) of the lake or campground they are talking about. Or if anything at the very least, a link to the campground's web site. Thanks.

Re: Camping (with lake view) in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont or New Hampshire

90 views, 0 replies lol typical.

Anyways, I ended up settling on Lake Waramaug in Connecticut. I was very happy with my choice. Beautiful place.

Here was a panoramic view of the lake...

And just a regular view...

Comment

Re: Camping (with lake view) in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont or New Hampshire

I know I'm late to the party but for next year consider Hopeville Pond State Park, in Griswold, CT, the Canoe Sites (Labeled CN on their map) are great, CN #4 is the best, CN #1 is not really on the lake. They are walk in sites, but it's a very short walk with a toilet fairly close, it's a great place to take folks that don't want to really rough it. You can paddle your canoe right up to the site, I loaded all my gear in my canoe at the boat ramp and paddled over to my site, then just parked my truck in the lot. It can be busy, but if you hit it early season or during the week it's very quiet. Decent fishing, was not to rowdy, but not a prison camp either. :cool:
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moss View Post
        I know I'm late to the party but for next year consider Hopeville Pond State Park, in Griswold, CT, the Canoe Sites (Labeled CN on their map) are great, CN #4 is the best, CN #1 is not really on the lake. They are walk in sites, but it's a very short walk with a toilet fairly close, it's a great place to take folks that don't want to really rough it. You can paddle your canoe right up to the site, I loaded all my gear in my canoe at the boat ramp and paddled over to my site, then just parked my truck in the lot. It can be busy, but if you hit it early season or during the week it's very quiet. Decent fishing, was not to rowdy, but not a prison camp either. :cool:

You're never late, as I am always going up to that general area to camp and love the suggestions. I have heard of the area that you speak of, have camped at grounds around it, but never checked it out. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Comment

Well, I am VERY late to this party! LOL! But I thought I might be able to give you some VT park suggestions for next season.

The main Vermont State Parks page is HERE, and the Camping page is HERE with camping details/fees/make reservations/etc, they have an interactive "Find a Park" page HERE where you can select the amenities to find parks that suit your needs. Here's my list of the best of the best for lakefront State Parks in VT, from South to North:

Woodford State Park -
          Interactive Campground Map here
          Photo Gallery here
          This is a very nice park with quite a few waterfront/waterview sites. This park is also the highest State campground at 2400 ft. The sites here are a little closer than I usualy like them, but they still aren't bad. Here's a sample, site #44:

Half Moon State Park -
          Photo Gallery here
          This is one of our favorite parks, it is a smaller pond and park, but exceptionally clean and well cared for. The staff at this park are the friendliest I have ever met, great people! I want to get leanto site Ilex when we go back:
          Last edited by Shortpants; 07-13-2014, 04:46 AM.
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Groton State Forest -
            Groton State Forest, with over 26,000 acres, is the second largest land block administered by the Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation. The forest contains over 17 miles of hiking trails and over 20 miles of gravel roads and multi-use trails suitable for mountain biking and horseback riding. The forest is also home to five state campgrounds and one day use area (beach). If you are staying at any of the Groton campgrounds, there is no day use fee to use the other 5 parks, so LOTS to keep you busy here.

Stillwater State Park (Groton) -
            Photo Gallery here
            This park is very popular with families, but still very nice and quiet. Some of the sites here can be a little close, but there are areas that are more spread out with better sites. Many of these sites have both the fire ring AND the old stone fireplace, so that's kinda cool. One site I like is #14:

Ricker Pond State Park (Groton) -
            Photo Gallery here
            Ricker is a small park (only just over 50 sites) and has tent/RV, leanto and cottage/cabin waterfront sites. Really beautiful spot and pond. I really liked site #8:

Groton also offers remote hike to/paddle to sites on Kettle Pond and Osmore Pond, both ponds are absolutely gorgeous and the remote sites are just the ticket if you really want privacy. The interactive map for the Groton remote sites is HERE.
            Last edited by Shortpants; 07-13-2014, 05:22 AM.
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Maidstone State Park -
              Photo Gallery here
              Maidstone is the most remote State park in Vermont, but it is well worth the trip. It is a gorgeous, pristine lake where loons nest every year. Site #4 has a great location and view:

Brighton State Park -
              Photo Gallery here
              Brighton is another hidden gem of the NE Kingdom, more loons nest here and moose sightings are frequent. Site #16 has a lovely view:
              Last edited by Shortpants; 07-13-2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Boat Access Only Camping:
                There are 4 parks that are boat access only, one is fully equipped with all the amenities, the other three are remote and have limited/no facilities.
                Green River Reservoir -
                Photo Gallery here
                This is not your typical Vermont State Park – Green River Reservoir provides camping and paddling experiences in a remote setting. All campsites can only be reached by paddling to them - some a 1 to 2-mile paddle from the launch site. You must provide your own craft to get to the site(s). But I mean really... look at this place:

Burton Island -
                Photo Gallery here
                Burton Island is the one full facility island park. There are restrooms, showers, a cafe and camp store, and a full marina on the island. You can either take a 10 minute ferry ride to the island or provide your own craft, boat rentals are available. And again, camping at this site on Lake Champlain would be pretty sweet:

Woods Island -
                Photo Gallery here
                Just North of Burton Island is Woods Island park. This is a remote, paddle-to island campground, and you must provide your own craft or arrange transport with a water taxi service. There are pit toilets at the sites, but no potable water. EVERY site at this place is waterfront! LOL!

Knight Island -
                Photo Gallery here
                This is another remote, paddle-to island campground, and you must provide your own craft or arrange transport with a water taxi service. Knight island is to the West of Woods Island and is a 3 mile or 5 mile boat trip, depending on where you leave from. This island does have composing toilets, but no potable water source. Six of the seven sites at this island have lean tos, and once again, EVERY site is waterfront. Here's a pretty amazing spot to just chill:

Primitive Camping -
                Many state lands are available for primitive, or "no trace" camping free of charge. Primitive camping means camping in a forest with no developed facilities and leaving the site with little or no evidence of human visitation.
                Lands designated for primitive camping are usually in areas with difficult access. No facilities are provided and there are no designated water supplies. Primitive camping is a remote camping experience in a forested setting, not a wilderness experience. Expect to find evidence of human activity ranging from recreational trails, to past logging activity, to remnants of the land's past use.
                Primitive camping is also available during the winter. Extra precautions and planning are necessary to address cold weather concerns. Access restrictions apply to most primitive camping areas due to unplowed roads and lack of plowed parking areas.
                Find the list of State Lands that offer primitive camping HERE.

Hope this helps for future trips!
                Last edited by Shortpants; 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X