Lets See Some 3 Season Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets See Some 3 Season Tents

Camping can be a casual and occasional experience, a part-time hobby, or a serious, routine excursion depending on an individual’s quest for adventure. Considering camping is a different experience for different interest and experience levels, camping equipment is also varied to suit all needs. A three season tent is just one example of a piece of camping equipment that suits different needs.

A three season tent is a tent designed to accommodate campers in weather conditions that simulate a typical spring, summer, and fall. It will generally feature two entrances for improved ventilation, or at the least additional “windows.” A rain fly over all openings is another common feature.

In general, a this type of tent differs from other varieties in its design and construction. Another type of tent, referred to as a four season or all-season tent, is designed for year round camping. A four season tent differs in its durability of poles and the material used in construction. While a three season tent is generally suitable for most types of weather, its features generally exclude protection from bitterly cold temperatures and strong winter winds.

In contrast to the smaller, lighter weight tents, a three season tent is generally larger in size and more durable than pup tents. A camper may choose to carry a small light-weight tent when camping alone in mild or warm weather, especially if he or she plans on hiking any distance before making camp. However, in stormy or cooler weather, a three season tent may prove to hold up better against the elements. They generally provide more space as well, thus making it ideal for family camping.

As camping in a variety of geographic locations and weather conditions grows in popularity, manufacturers of tents and other camping gear are turning out new and improved products that make camping life easier for both the casual and serious camper. A three season tent is considered a versatile choice for most camping excursions, with the exception of braving extreme conditions. Prices for these tents vary with size, features, and brand name, but tend to be in the mid to higher-end price range.

Here is one of our 3 season tents. It is a Pahaque Expedition 10x12 and the smaller half tent is designed as a Kelty Beach House but we use it to store our camping supplies. If you have a 3 season tent and would like to share a photo or two of your tent, post up. The world of tent camping isn't all about canvas tents.

Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-22-2013, 07:15 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Lets See Some 3 Season Tents

Mine is a three season tent ~ Eureka sunrise. It comes in three sizes, but I got the smallest (10X10). Plenty of room for my queen size air mattress with some space for ‘stuff.’ It holds up well in wind and rain. I have been through several bad storms with it and stayed perfectly dry. The fly design allows you to leave the windows open even in the rain. A straight down rain, they can be open almost all the way, but even when the wind is driving the rain sideways, I can usually get away with having them open at least 6” or so. The roof is screened for venting and there’s a small vent under the door, though I seldom find a need to open that. This tent is really easy and quick to set up and take down. I love this tent!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	69742Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	69743Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	69740Click image for larger version

Name:	545456_3528295658316_1153909457_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	69741
    Last edited by rose; 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

A side view of my 2 room Eureka Copper Canyon tent which is 13'x12'.

Works nicely for long trips from a comfort POV. Yeah that's right...been known to not guyline it unless bad weather is forecasted......oops. Has a poorly designed awning, no matter how many guylines ya attach that I rarely bother to assemble. Should I hear bad weather is afoot I back the sleeping tent up against the kitchen/living room tent (which has an excellent awning system; Paha Que 12x12))so there is no need to get wet.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I tried going old school and left my collapsible floor home which turned out to be a mistake, but I love this tent - an REI Half Dome 2
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Last time without a floor.png sm.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	69764Click image for larger version

Name:	Last Time Without a Floor 2 sm.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	69763

Comment

Last edited by luv2scrapinva; 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Back up in the air

Comment

mcgyver:

That's a great looking tent. Quite a rig with the platform!

luv2scrap:

Wow. You've got a huge family compound there! It's like your own personal luxury hotel!

Comment

This tent enough to accommodate one family and arranged a small kitchen
                Perfect camping

Comment

MacGyver
                  Tell us again why you use the platform. Thanks.

PS Your avatar is hurting my eyes.
                  When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                  Six hundred pounds of sin
                  Was grinning at my window
                  All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                    MacGyver
                    Tell us again why you use the platform. Thanks.
                    With back and knee issues (as in, I'm not 25 anymore), sleeping on the ground got to be too much to deal with. It was because of one trip in particular, when my back wasn't cooperating but I really wanted to go camping, that I made my first platform. Sleeping on a firm and level surface was the main reason I made one, but it should come as no surprise that it also keeps the tent super clean and dry - especially nice when other people are dealing with rivers of rain running under their tents.

It's kinda funny you brought this up again. On my next trip I'm going to leave the platform home to see how my new cot works in a two person tent.

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                    PS Your avatar is hurting my eyes.
                    Guess I'm due for another incarnation then. In the meantime, try not to stare.

Comment

The cot should be fine in a two person tent (with one person in it).

I've camped on tent platforms in two places this summer -- car camping in Bar Harbor and backpack camping at Sawyer Pond in the White Mountains. I love it. Tent pitches level. Stays dry and clean. No sticks or stones poking me in the back.

Comment

Working...
                      X