This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: screen house/picnic shelter

REI tells me that Big Agnes screen house can accept the wall sections on all 4 sides. Its also waterproof (Seams all taped, etc.). That changes the equation for me a bit.

Comment

I ordered the Big Agnes Three Forks Shelter w/ 2 extra side panels. I will let you guys know how it sets up and works out. The fact that I could close off three sides, and pick the sides I want to close as we see fit, sold me on it. I hope it fits the bill as I like the fact that its waterproof, and I can change the panel arrangment as the day goes on. I'll keep a Off Mosquito coil going in it when we're lounging, and I now have a place to cook regardless of the elements.

Plus, as my wife observed, it matches the Big Agnes Big House 6 we just bought !

Comment

HogSnapper, is that Coleman 10x12 waterproof at least along the roof? My thoughts w/ the BA were w/ the panel flexibility I could provide a waterproof breezeproof place to cook if needed. And by 'boxing' the canopy in, I could also get better control of the bugs w/ the mosquito coils.

Comment

I'm starting to reconsider my order - I have time to cancel it if I choose. My only other consideration would be the size of it; I'm wondering if between my larger family tent + vestibule and this larger screen house if I would run into any space considerations while onsite. The BA is a bit smaller, and definitely smaller/lighter to pack and bring w/ us.

Actually on that note w/ this screen house its almost like I got another Kodiak to bring along w/ my smaller packed BA tent !!!!

Comment

There are gives/takes for everything I suppose. I'm going to stick w/ the BA and coils and see how it works out.

I guess my mindset is with over a decade of Scouting and camping I never once had access to a screen house. And this BA is better than anything we ever rigged up while at camp. Plus it packs down nice and small; there is only so much room in my Ridgeline for my family of 4 and all our gear. I'll post back w/ how it works out when I use it next month.

Comment

In my quest to find a new tent for my family I came across this. It's listed on Craigslist as a tent but I'm wondering if it's really a screenhouse? I can't find any Eureka tent that looks like this but the Northern Breeze SH looks really similar. What do you all think?

Comment

HogSnapper has the right of it.

I pitched the BA Three Forks Shelter in the backyard this past weekend. Its not screened, but I really like the versatility. Of note, however; REI was wrong in saying that you can put up a wall on any side. You can only wall it off on either side, not where the shelter forms a peak in the canopy (front/rear).

I suppose this means I'll pitch the canopy with the 'front' facing E/W so that I can wall off the southern exposure if sun is the concern. If its rain, I can always play with the orientation of the canopy as well as the wall configuration. Its not terribly hard to move in any sense.

Comment

Used the BA Three Forks shelter all weekend; it was a pleasure to have something like this with us. Being able to get out of the sun, and have a place to go when it drizzled was a great thing. Very stable w/ the guy lines strung out (though we put coolers and bins by the lines so my kids wouldn't keep tripping on them). Waterproof too, water just rolls off which was nice.

Being able to erect the walls on either side came in handy as we followed the sun across the sky.

Also, having 2 of those Off Mosquito Coils in there w/ us kept all the mosquitos away. Proud to report, nobody got bit the entire weekend between the coils and Deep Woods Off.

Very happy I bought this.

Comment

It's maybe to late, but you should avoid light-colored canopies if at all possible. Flies are attracted to light colors.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I have a First Up 10'x10' canopy. It's tan in color, the legs go straight down, I have the optional screen sides, the sides clip to the top and clip or velcro around the legs and it can be open by two zippers on opposites sides. I believe First Up is the old Wal-Mart brand, I bought the canopy and screen set as a combo off Craigslist for $50, great bargain! Comes in a rolling case, with strong handles, if you see one at a flea market or Craigslist I suggest buying it! :cool:
                      sigpic

Comment

Some where, on some thread, we had a discussion in the Spring, on bug repellents.

I re-read this thread and bugs were discussed in passing so here is where I'm parking my review/info:D.

Go ahead and spend some money on Sawyer's Permethrin or any other permethrin based product with a high percentage of the stuff as an active ingredient. Totally worthy. Stinks to high heaven when first applied but the smell wears off after 10 odd minutes; not the product's effacy though.

I sprayed it on twice over the course of 30 odd days of camping and the only time I was bitten was my first set up of the season when I hadn't applied the product yet. Gotta love that!

I'm waiting for Jopopsy's field review of his new shelter.
                        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have been looking for one as well but I want a floor on mine so I can still sleep when it is relatively warm out.

Comment

http://outdoorworld2.com/ Check out the camping supplies at this web site.

Comment

To get bugs out of a shelter, put a Thermacell in and leave the doors open for about ten minutes. If after dark you also need to move light sources away from the shelter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                                Used the BA Three Forks shelter all weekend; it was a pleasure to have something like this with us. Being able to get out of the sun, and have a place to go when it drizzled was a great thing. Very stable w/ the guy lines strung out (though we put coolers and bins by the lines so my kids wouldn't keep tripping on them). Waterproof too, water just rolls off which was nice.

Being able to erect the walls on either side came in handy as we followed the sun across the sky.

Also, having 2 of those Off Mosquito Coils in there w/ us kept all the mosquitos away. Proud to report, nobody got bit the entire weekend between the coils and Deep Woods Off.

Very happy I bought this.
                                do you have a picture of this set up? What is the Off Mosquito Coils? I live in the south and the mosquitos can definitely try to ruin a camping trip. Do you think I should get this BA and use the Off Mosquito Coils or look more for a already fully enclosed shelter?

Comment

Working...
                                X