X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: screen house/picnic shelter

Originally posted by havetentwilltravel View Post
    Have you used the mosquito coil before? We've tried the Coleman brand coils and were less than impressed. They kept breaking, so of course wouldn't continue burning.
    I've used the coils out on the family deck (which was next to a creek) in the summer w/ some success. Not perfect, but definitely a improvement. Enough so that I'd buy them again.

Comment

Mosquitos don't bite me I mostly wanted it for rain. The screening is just a bonus for when I hve guests at camp. Is there any truly effective mosquito control for folks to whom they seem to be expecially drawn?? They will always be a problem I'm afraid.....

Comment

They always have been drawn toward me, camping in the Canadian Rockies in 04 was an extremely painful trip. A mounty told me to eat more garlic and since then the attacks have subsided greatly! Eat more garlic in foods, sometimes I'll even suck or chew on a clove of raw garlic and it helps abundantly. Haven't been seriously bitten in over two years. Of course at night just before retiring we both brush our teeth strongly and swirl Listerine for over a minute. Wow that is such a rush, then when I do retire after the campfire is out I pour a double 3 oz shot of black label JD in my canteen cup , watch the stars and then crawl in the sack for a restful sleep with the CPAP machine, dog & wife! Using a deep cycle battery pack from ebay. Man I love campin!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
          Of course at night just before retiring we both brush our teeth strongly and swirl Listerine for over a minute. Wow that is such a rush, then when I do retire after the campfire is out I pour a double 3 oz shot of black label JD in my canteen cup
          Whatever the Listerine doesn't kill, the JD will! hahaha

Man I love campin!
          Roger that!
          Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
          - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
            I have a Coleman 12'x10' Hex Instant Screened Canopy - Coleman number 2000004413. One person can set it up in about 5 minutes. It comes in a wheeled bag and weighs around 40 lbs. The wheels help wrangle it in and out of the car. The list price is around $250 but you can find it for $185 shipped. I have gotten good use out of this screenhouse and it fits over any picnic table, even some of those giant stone picnic tables you see sometimes at the CCC and WPA campgrounds that were built back in the '30's. I also like that it has front and back doors. I've used mine on over at least 200 nights over the last few years and so far so good.

One thing that I am very picky about is that I like straight sides. I don't like sloped sides. It's too hard to setup tables and chairs and be sure you're out of the rain and it's just a way for the manufacturers to claim a larger footprint but with less usable space. A 10x10 with sloped sides has something like 7x7 of dry space and shade - making it near useless for camping. I highly recommend whatever you get - make it a straight wall shelter.

http://www.coleman.com/product/insta...Category=11050
            http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Hex-In.../dp/B00339C3FA

hope that helps...
            The price on this is awfully nice for what you're getting. And you're saying you've used this for at least 200 nights? I guess you have no issues with its durability than?

Comment

So at 200 nights do you believe your shelter is 1/2 used? Just wondering - I was going to go for the Bean one but this one is significantly cheaper. 200 nights out for me and my family is probably going to be well over 5 years of camping so I'm probably just over thinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                It's hard to say because it depends on how often I pitch in the sun. Like I said, all my tents and canopies die from UV damage which basically means old age. They never die from wear and tear on the parts. In most cases my tents and shelters last around 3 to 4 years of camping at least 200 nights a year and I would say I end up pitching in the sun much more often than pitching in the shade. So in the case of the screen house, I'd expect it to last at least a couple more years meaning it's only 1/3 used up now. hope that helps.
                You camp 200 nights A YEAR ?! Wow, that's amazing !!! That Coleman should last me 20 years than !!!!

Comment

Just found this: http://www.rei.com/product/846643/bi...-forks-shelter

I'm wondering if one bought the other wall, you would have a sun/rain shelter that had two sides covered. If one were to use one of those Off Terracotta Coil things inside of this, maybe that would provide good bug protection too since the bug fumes would have less opportunities to disperse?

Comment

That still leaves the shorter sides open forming a wind tunnel for the air to flow through. I have the 2007 designed 12' Kelty Shadehouse but are really considering purchasing this as a replacement:
                    http://www.kelty.com/p-513-screenhou...mp-accessories .
                    The newer model design is making me drool!

The 2007 model that we have is wearing out only due to wear, tear & UV damage of 6 years protecting our 4x6' folding table. When camping at organized cgs if the table provided is too long, to old showing the need of repair or at the wrong placement for our desired set-up out comes our 2 folding tables. One is used under the shadehouse and the other table becomes used for stuff that needs to be outside the shadehouse but not kept on the ground. If it's on the ground then it has an excellent chance of becoming one of Bandit's chew-toys!

I like the specs & the reviews are stellar! The people that complained about it sagging didn't guy the lines out! Never have I a bad product from Kelty. We always try to purchase straight from the manufacturer to ensure that we get a quality product. Manufacturers do sell lessor quality items to cheap third party sites, with Walmart being one of the cheapest & Ebay comes in a close second, especially in the camera department. Probably will get some slapping from TP, just sharing experiences! And it's not as expensive as having another Kodiak serve as a shelter! Just my $0.02
                    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-24-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I just got my Big Agnes on sale from BackCountry.com --> Don't go telling me now that they sell 'off quality' stuff to other parties !!!!!!

Comment

That shelter HogSnapper posted earlier just might be the deal for me. *thinking*

Comment

I have never researched "Back Country" maybe yes, probably not! Most Outfitters are reliable but research based on fact is better than emotion based on saving a buck....just saying!

Dang, I'm startin to sound like my doctor wife! Guess opposites do attract!
                          Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I chatted them and they maintain they sell the authentic stuff, backed by their lifetime 100% return policy. Made me feel better !!!

Comment

:cool: that's cool, didn't mean to scare you! That's what makes this forum special! Distrust! Let me decide what's best for Me! That is way cool! Besides opinions are like elbows...most everyone has two of 'em! hehe! Apologies due!

We do though learn from one another and that's great sharing experiences!
                              Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-25-2013, 01:01 AM.

Comment

We have this one and I love it! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Gray/22301933

I know Ozark Trail isn't a favorite, but this does the trick for us. Plus, as a mom camping alone with boys, this can go up in 2 minutes or less and there are no parts or poles to take down or put together. We have had it out on multiple trips and there have been no problems. Wouldn't trust it too much in really bad weather, but it does come with tie downs. It is simple enough to collapse if there is an incoming storm though.

Comment

Working...
                                X