This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen house/picnic shelter

I am considering adding to my camp gear this year and getting a sreen house that I can place over the picnic table, to protect from both bugs and a not-too-hard rain. I camp alone so I would need something that I can set up by myself. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Re: screen house/picnic shelter

I always like Hogsnapper's attention to functional details like the straight sides and footprint dimensions

I bought mine at Wallyworld for $79 and am perfectly satisfied with it. It is Huge and airy and so tall I cannot touch the top when I reach up and stand on my tippy toes

I like that it is so big that an entire picnic table fits inside and there is still enough space on each side to stack coolers and walk around.

I think that some tents can be too big as to be impractical, but for screen shelters, bigger is better because people are always moving around inside of them and your group is often all together inside them at the same time

My screen tent is possible to set up alone, but not easy because it has four very long poles and two shorter poles that go through sleeves in the shelter

Comment

I too like HS's attitude & specifics when he describes gear that he has purchased! We too are looking for a screen house that'll be an easy pitch & strike! Leaning very favorably towards that Coleman Hex Screen Canopy! Thanks HS! Your posts & threads are always contain excellent advice!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-25-2013, 05:06 PM.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thank you. Looks like a good choice. How large is it packed up? I also have to consider space in my car....

Comment

HS does write some mighty fine specs and his are some of the first posts I zoom to on a variety of subjects.
          The only thing I would add is the more base stakes a screen room has, the better, should scavenging wildlife be a problem. Almost every year, I see campers chasing various birds, racoons and the occasional skunk out of their screen house, not because they left the entrance open but just cause wildlife has crept under the sides. 'Course if they didn't leave food on the table they might not have that problem.

rose- from what I've seen on various videos (youtube has a ton) the storage bag is about the same size as the pole axis. I'd guess it's about 3'6" in length which should fit across the back seat or in most trunks with ease.

My screen tent is one of the best purchases I've made. Bought a 12x12 Paha Que and even though it's certainly large enough for the average picnic table (I've noted that most NE state picnic tables are 8' L and 3'-3'6" W) I don't bother to put the table inside since this model has awnings on 4 sides. Instead I use the screen room as a camp kit/ bad weather game/sitting space/weekend guest sleeping tent. Oh and I'd never recommend the Paha Que for a solo camper; too difficult to put up and prolly more space than needed.

Have fun out there!

ETA: Just found this in my mailbox and thought it might be of use to ya.

Make Memories This Memorial Day

Enjoy Free Shipping on Coleman® Gear

For a limited time, receive free shipping when you spend $25 or more at coleman.com. Stock up on what you need for your Memorial Day camping trip or barbeque and make more memories with Coleman. Free shipping offer is valid May 16 – 20, 2013. The promo code free25 must be entered on the cart page to receive this offer.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-18-2013, 06:03 AM. Reason: free shipping promo code
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks, Hogsnapper, for the info. I did not go with the Coleman, but took your advice about straight sides. I ordered one from LL Bean. THe coleman was above my budget and I had a gift certificate for LL Bean with made that one an exceptional deal! It's packed size is a little smaller too, which will help.

Thanks for the advice ~ I'm glad I asked as the one I was originally looking at had the sloped sides. That would have been a mistake.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58395...oductId=988411

Comment

Yeah, pack size and weight was an important consideration for me as well as cost. I think this one will work well. My camping trip starts June 25th. I'll be sure to check back in and give you my review.

The Eureka VCS looks like a good choice for backpacking. Hope you find one for a reasonable cost.

Comment

Nice looking screen house with glowing reviews. I particularly like that several people said it could be put up solo.
                Did you opt in on the floor and rain fly?
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yeah, the reviews really sold me on it. And it HAS to be something I can put up alone! No, I did not get the rain fly and floor. We'll see how it goes this summer and maybe get it later. Mostly I want to be able to cook in a light to medium rain.

Comment

For a few summers I used my screen tent's floor as the foot print under my sleeping tent. This winter I broke down and purchased a separate sleeping tent tarp again. I really prefer no floor in the screen house since it makes cooking and cleanup easier (Making pasta? Drain the excess water on the ground and be done) however I got caught in a major storm (start of Hurricane Irene) and walked into a floor of mud the next morn. We left the next day (state closed down the park) but the experience stuck in my mind.

You might find that the screen tent is not only useful for cooking as it's a nice height but also for reading during the evenings. Just be sure to move the cooking area a few inches away from the tent's sides.

Enjoy your summer time! I'm itching to get out and just rejected a coveted site on Memorial Day weekend a friend offered, due to a prior engagement, sniffles.
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-19-2013, 03:29 PM.
                    2017:

Comment

Originally posted by rose View Post
                      Thanks, Hogsnapper, for the info. I did not go with the Coleman, but took your advice about straight sides. I ordered one from LL Bean. THe coleman was above my budget and I had a gift certificate for LL Bean with made that one an exceptional deal! It's packed size is a little smaller too, which will help.

Thanks for the advice ~ I'm glad I asked as the one I was originally looking at had the sloped sides. That would have been a mistake.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58395...oductId=988411
                      I'm going to snag one of these. Just not this month as my camping budget has been blown by unforeseen equipment issues !!!

Comment

It may be just us, but we hate hate hate screen rooms. We've had such awful experiences with bugs getting in then not being able to get out. We're now shopping for an open canopy-type shelter (easy up, of course!). I saw that renodesertfox had a great-looking one in the photos thread & am excited to look further into that particular type.
                        Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
                        - Unknown

Comment

I use OFF!® Mosquito Coil III. Its my hope that if I get a screen house and burn one of them inside, the bugs will be less inclined to enter. They are good for a 10x10 area; I have 2 just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                            I use OFF!® Mosquito Coil III. Its my hope that if I get a screen house and burn one of them inside, the bugs will be less inclined to enter. They are good for a 10x10 area; I have 2 just in case.
                            Have you used the mosquito coil before? We've tried the Coleman brand coils and were less than impressed. They kept breaking, so of course wouldn't continue burning.
                            Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
                            - Unknown

Comment

About a month before any planned camping trip we add lots of garlic to every meal except breakfast. We also use Off Mosquito Coils III. and never been bitten for at least two years now. We do have mosquitoes here in the summer at night and always in the mountains. Wish I had eaten garlic more when I was stationed in the Army at Fort Greeley, AK that's where all mosquitoes in the entire world are trained! They're as big as a P51 Mustang...can see 'em coming from 1/2 mile away! hehe! And that's why we now enjoy camping in the winter, no mosquitoes.
                              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                              X