Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food dehydrating for backpacking, discuss..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food dehydrating for backpacking, discuss..

Very interesting thread which is allowing me to learn a lot.

Tell me, LogTec, do you add the oil to the hummus on site or is it tasty without it?
    I wonder if brining the chicken breasts first would keep the meat from being tough or would that be counter-intuitive since dehydrating removes moisture? Another thought... pounding and/ or butterflying the breasts prior to dehydrating might be useful since the pounding process breaks down the muscles and butterflying the meat makes for more even cooking.

HogS- I envy you your new purchase. Not quite ready to buy a dehydrator but sometimes I dream about it. Do let us know what the pros and con to that model is.

markee- Thanks for that link and did you get the recipe for mango chicken from the site or figure it out yourself(ves)? I'd love to see the recipe if you feel like giving it up.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

For you cats who cannot afford a fancy pants dehydrator, you can make one pretty simply with a cardboard box and a lighbulb. That is what my wife and I did when we first got married.

Just get a big cardboard box and cut a few holes in the top and bottom, push some dowels or straightened coat hanger wire through the box onto which you hand your meat, fruit, etc to dry.

Hang a 100 watt lightbulb in the box and there you have it. You can get more fancy by making trays, etc. OR you can look online for more refined DIY food dehydrators. You can enhance the process a lot with some kind of fan to stir the air around inside the box

Truth is that in less time than it takes to go to the store to buy a food dehydrator, you can make on that works. I dried a lot of food in a DIY food dehydrator with a light bulb and it always worked fine - meats, fruits, veggies, you name it. When I was done, I just tossed the box out and made a new one a year or so later as needed.

We eventually bought a good quality food dehydrator. It dries food faster - mostly due to the fan, and the stacking feature allows you to dry more food in a smaller space. But.... the DIY dryers work too..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        ...you can make one pretty simply with a cardboard box and a lighbulb.
        Oh - I am definitely loving this!

Comment

[QUOTE=NYCgrrl;30154]Very interesting thread which is allowing me to learn a lot.

Tell me, LogTec, do you add the oil to the hummus on site or is it tasty without it?
          I wonder if brining the chicken breasts first would keep the meat from being tough or would that be counter-intuitive since dehydrating removes moisture? Another thought... pounding and/ or butterflying the breasts prior to dehydrating might be useful since the pounding process breaks down the muscles and butterflying the meat makes for more even cooking.

I bring EV oil with me on the trail, it goes into a lot of food.(it's also good to lube O-rings and seals on water filters/pumps etc)
          I always add the oil to the hummus at the point of rehydration, You don't have to but the hummus is not as smooth and creamy.

As for chicken:
          I've tried cooking chicken a few different ways, then dehydrating- not great results. My gf says poaching the chicken works.. I've also read canned chicken works good. I'll try both before my next adventure.
          Last edited by Logtec; 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Apple, banana & blueberry fruit leather!

4 Macintosh apples,
            6 small bananas,
            1 cup of blueberries,
            1 large orange,
            2 tablespoons of honey,
            Lemon juice.

Peel, cut and core apples, toss in lemon juice.
            peel and cut bananas.
            Wash the blueberries.
            Ream the orange.

Add everything into the blender and blend for 5 minutes. You want a thick mixture that will still pour.
            If the mixture is too thick add some water or orange juice.
            If it is too thin add another banana.

Pour and spread the mixture onto your dehydrators "mat", no thiner then 1/8".
            If you don't have mats use parchment paper cut to size.
            Dehydrate for 8-10hrs. The leather should be firm and slightly sticky.

Once dry, peel the leather off the mat, and place on parchment paper in a container, store in a cool dry place.

Great for the trail or an excellent holiday gift!

Comment

agree with not eating the pet food,
              there has been numerous pet illnesses/deaths linked to pet food, and FDA hasnt found the cause yet.

as for home dehydrating?
              i use the oven
              just made a batch of oven dried beef jerky and came out great.
              Last edited by terasec; 12-16-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Dog food? Don't eat pet food-ever!
                Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                sigpic

Comment

I am from Miami and I know, it is ok to eat dog food. In good times, canned dog food.
                  When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                  Six hundred pounds of sin
                  Was grinning at my window
                  All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                    I am from Miami and I know, it is ok to eat dog food. In good times, canned dog food.
                    Personally, I'd rather not play Russian Roulette with my food.
                    http://www.livescience.com/32195-wha...-dog-food.html

Comment

Nearly 600 pets have died and more than 3,600 have been sickened in an ongoing, mysterious outbreak of illnesses tied to jerky treats made in China, federal animal health officials said Tuesday.

Most of the cases have been in dogs of all breeds, ages and sizes — although 10 cats have been sickened, too — after eating chicken, duck and sweet potato jerky treats. The pace of the reported illnesses appears to have slowed, but federal Food and Drug Administration officials are now seeking extra help from veterinarians and pet owners in solving the ongoing puzzle.
                      http://www.nbcnews.com/health/pet-je...-no-8C11436330

as a customs broker i have seen FDA scrutinize every pet food shipment.
                      jerky or not,
                      they are looking for something,

Comment

hey, was just reading y'all were trying to get chicken more tender. have you tried to boil it first? I'm from louisiana and when we make chicken and sausage gumbo we boil the chicken for and hour and a half. its literally falling off the bone when its done. don't know if it would work well with a dehydrator but its just a thought.

Comment

I am employed for a dehydrated food company known as mountain house which I'm sure you have all heard of. While the taste is not the best. My employee discount allows me to get #10 cans for as little as $3-$4. For the price I'll put up with mountain house for a weekend or two.

Comment

It's great that you work for Mountain House. I don't think the food is that bad. The packaging is awesome and when you are tired and hungry, it tastes great!

Mark
                            Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                            sigpic

Comment

at $5-$6 a package way too much for me
                              I buy Dried meals at the dollar store for $1 a package
                              take knorrs over other brands

Comment

The foods not bad just loaded with salt. Taste testing at work everyday it gets old after awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X