Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food dehydrating for backpacking, discuss..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food dehydrating for backpacking, discuss..

Dried full pineapple slices covered with honey....My Fav.

Comment

Not the same thread I posted on in the past about dehydrating but I can be site search adverse when the mood hit and really who cares:D?

Welllllllllll somehow or the other it seems I killed my stove's oven and it THINKS I want to install another motherboard what I already did about 2 years back and had a cyber grrlfriend hooting about my expensive paperweight to be when I accidentally removed the glass front ( silicone mastic is yer friend fer that stoopidity) and I'm in the process of selling this place and the new people will gut the kitchen, throw away all the appliances, spend 100K on a kitchen they'll nevah use (I'm surrounded by takeout fanatics who when they do cook once or twice a yr invariably set off the smoke detector so heckenspeck nooooooooo I'm not fixing the danged thing:tussor:.

Which takes me back to where I should've started: a toaster oven can be your friend when dehydrating. Won't give you as big a yield as you can get from a full size oven but still tasty and worry free. Did a coupla strawberries as a tryout and will be adding strawberries and cherries to the home drying roster. Perfect time since both are now in season. No pics yet.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Food dehydrators work very slowly, making them nearly foolproof. We've been drying now for nearly the whole 25 years we've been married, mostly for carrots/diakon and jerky (I'm the only non-asian). London Broil is our meat of choice for jerky, but its a homemade recipe for the marinade that use a variety of spices and sauce ingredients. At our house that jerky, if not eaten in the car on a road trip, is thin-sliced and served over spaghett-shredded papaya with spicy fish sauce.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I like Bean Bark Stew.

Comment

Working...
          X